Cornerstone Error: Uh oh! Content failed to save

We switched our website from Themeco Hosting to WP Engine hosting (when we needed to make the switchover) but are unable to save any changes in Cornerstone. I am receiving the error message “Uh oh! Content failed to save” whenever I go to save a page on Cornerstone. There were a few things that did not migrate on our site properly when we switched to WP Engine, so I would really like to be able to fix them!

We had a previous topic on this, but it has since been closed so there are no longer responses allowed but our issue is still not resolved. We tried all of the following steps that were presented as options to fix this issue, but none have worked.

"Please follow up the steps below:

Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here1. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.

Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.

If you’re using a CDN(ex: CloudFlare), please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services. For the CloudFlare you also need to follow the steps below besides the developer mode:
https://xthemetips.com/using-cloudflare-rocket-loader-with-x-pro-and-x5/928/11

Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.

Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit."

Let me know if there are any additional steps we can take. The previous post we had said that we could send our WP login credentials in a secure note, but since that post is closed now, I don’t think that works on the original post. I’m happy to send a secure note with the login credentials on this post.

Hello @ENCmarketing,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

As the you have tried to solutions given and Cornerstone is still not saving the changes, please share login details in secure note for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

Thanks, we have posted the secure note. Let us know if there is anything else we need to do!

Hi There @ENCmarketing

You’re using older version of X theme and the latest version of Cornerstone which cause incompatibility issues. You can see the latest versions from here (https://theme.co/changelog/) and update your X theme accordingly (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62).

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Hi - I’ve just updated to X theme Version: 6.2.5, but am still receiving the same error message of “Uh oh! Content failed to save” when I go to save any edits in Cornerstone.

Hello @ENCmarketing,

Thanks for updating the thread.

To see if Cornerstone is actually working and that it’s saving the changes, I created a test post and content is getting saved (have created a screencast, please take a look). So Cornerstone is working and the issue is with the existing pages where content is not getting saved. Next, I saved your existing page as template and then imported the same to the test page I created and things are working fine over there and changes are getting saved. I also import the template to my local dev setup and no issues over there as well.

I think there might be some issues while changing the host from Themeco to WP Engine. Please do following:

1. Please try to remove X Theme and Cornerstone and then try to reinstall again and see if doing so let’s you save the changes.
  2. In case problem is still there, please share FTP login details (hostname/username/password) in a secure note for us to take a more closer look.

You can take a look at the theme installation guide for some help.

Thanks.

Hello -

Thanks for following up with these tests. If we remove X Theme and Cornerstone, will we lose all of the content from our website that we have previously created in Cornerstone and all of our customization settings like fonts, colors, etc? We don’t want to have to go back and recreate everything from our website.

Since new posts are working, would it be better for us to just save our previous pages and templates and then create “new” pages for them? We don’t have that extensive of a website, so just wondering if this would be a faster fix with fewer issues of losing previously created elements. Then we would just work from these new pages and delete the old ones with the saving issues.

Hi @ENCmarketing,

You could do that, save them as templates and import them. But the problem is, we’re not sure what part of it is causing the issue. Hence, it may carry along the culprit as you import it to a new page. That’s possible with trial and error by deleting element one at a time while testing, hence, you’ll know which needs fixing once you save it as templates. But that’s a lot of work too similar to re-creating them.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.