Cornerstone crashes - I can't do anything anymore

So with increasing frequency Cornerstone crashes as I edit pages. It’s not that Cornerstone won’t load like some of the issues I’ve looked at here. It loads. I just can’t use it to do more than edit a couple lines of text. It’ll stop responding, and the square in the bottom right corner would just spin incessantly. I have to just close out and then be locked out of my site for like 20 minutes. I turned off the SiteGround Super Cache thing but it continues to crash and in fact now has introduced another new error (about the preview not loading). Please help me. I wasted time AGAIN making changes I didn’t get to save before it crashed AGAIN. I have to go clear my browsing history before I’m able to log back in to WordPress. (Nevermind - now clearing browser data doesn’t work anymore either.)

Okay so for whatever reason, it’s working now and not crashing. After a long trying day I was finally able to complete my new page. I don’t understand why all this was happening though. And I don’t know if it will come back either.

Hi There,

Thanks for the confirmation that its working now. Also I have checked and I can also able to edit any page.
You might faced some caching issue at that time.
Please check few optimization best practice, so that the issue would’t come again.

Please check for the following List:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

7. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
    define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );

Thanks and All the best!

For #2, we can’t use caching or optimization plugins? This confuses me because wouldn’t we want our sites to be optimized to load faster? SiteGround add a super caching and optimization ability directly in my WordPress. I don’t understand why they’d do that if it just crashes sites…

For #5, so we can’t use custom CSS or javascript or it will make the pages impossible to edit such as this issue I’ve experienced?

For #1, don’t you automatically update my theme?

I’ll hold on to these instructions but most are too difficult for me. I should not have gotten a theme that is so far beyond my capabilities to use :frowning: I don’t know what a CDN or htaccess files are, much less where to find them. Might as well tell me to perform open-heart surgery when you say to add a code to my wp-config.php. It’s very disheartening. I try to learn all this website stuff but that is a full-time job and I already have one of those.

Anyway, thank you very much for your detailed response! I appreciate it even if I don’t understand it :wink: For now, I will cross my fingers and hope this doesn’t happen again.

The steps outlined previously are only for troubleshooting.

1. No. When an update is available, you will be notified in your WordPress Dashboard and you need to update from there.

2. You can use caching. In fact, it’s one of the things included in our general performance guide. You just need to clear cache and disable it while troubleshooting in order for changes to take effect immediately.

3. You can use custom CSS and Javascript. However, this sometimes causes issues so for troubleshooting purposes, this must be removed temporarily.

Please check our performance guide for an explanation of what a CDN is.

It is important for you to know what the htaccess and wp-config.php files are because they’re important parts in WordPress. Here’s a guide for htaccess and here’s the documentation of wp-config.php.

Thanks.

I am having the same issue as in this thread here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/php-7-0-compatibility-error-siteground/15834?u=lpwrites

I sent SiteGround a message because I don’t understand hardly anything on the above thread except that the guy was going to change the php through his cpanel.

Is this what is causing all my issues? Now not only does Cornerstone time out, but I can’t get Convert Plus to open up any popups for me to edit them. Convert Plus times out too.

I changed the PHP but still have all the same issues. No normal people know what htaccess and wp-config files are and I wish I’d been warned that you have to have developer skills to operate this buggy theme.

Hi there,

I load your site and display the site but with missing styling, then after reloading, your site is now inaccessible from my end. Are you currently working on it or is there a security that blocks users especially from different countries? If it does, please disable it for now while we’re checking it.

This site can’t be reached The webpage at https://............/wp-admin might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Thanks!

I wasn’t’ working on the site an hour ago, no. I get that message ALL THE TIME. That’s when I have to wait like half an hour before I can access it again. I’ve been clearing my browser’s cache to get past it and that can work sometimes.

I had SiteGround add that memory code to increase my memory, by the way.

Also: I do not use a CDN. And Siteground said my htaccess file name is the default one and advised against renaming it. The versions are compatible except for Layer Slider needs an update I can’t go get but that you’ll send along eventually, as I understand things.

Hi There,

Upon login to your site, I’m getting the following error (see secure note). Could you please provide us with your FTP credentials to investigate this issue further.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.