Cornerstone Access Issue

hi

I was a little slow in getting around to doing what was suggested to rectify my issue, where Cornerstone is unable to access any pages for editing. On examining, it was determined that custom code in the child theme was causing this. This was the suggested solution:-

"You can copy just your child theme to the staging site, and set it as a child of Pro. To do this, copy the entire x-child folder to your staging site, rename the x-child folder to pro-child, then open the style.css file and replace the comment heading there with this:

/*

Theme Name: Pro – Child Theme
Theme URI: http://theme.co/pro/
Author: Themeco
Author URI: http://theme.co/
Description: Make all of your modifications to Pro in this child theme.
Version: 1.0.0
Template: pro

*/
Activate the child theme on your staging and start debugging, you can do this like a plugin conflict test, remove your customization one by one until you find the culprit of the issue.

Thanks, "

I have done all of this, but the child theme is not accessible on the staging server. Are you able to assist?

cheers

Hi

Just a quick update. After logging out and back in, the activate option reappeared, but the only child theme available to be activated is the X-child, not pro-child, so I am unable to troubleshoot the custom coding issue

How is it possible to have the option for pro-child, since the newly copied folder which was renamed to pro-child is all exactly as suggested and the style.css amended

Thanks for your help

Hey @guybower1,

You’re now using the Pro child theme since you’re using pro as the Template value. That’s what makes a theme a child of a parent theme.

The Theme Name of the Pro child theme was not changed. It’s still X. This will still work but it’ll just be confusing to manage so please change it to Pro Child Theme or whatever name that is easier for you as you can use any name.

Hope that helps.

Hi Christian

Yes, that was what was confusing me.

OK, so I made that change in the style.css and on reloading the page, I now am unable to access any pages for editing, I guess confirming an issue with the original X child theme.

This is a pretty basic question, but where now does the custom code now live, as whether I am in the live server with X or this staging server using Pro, I am unable to access where the custom code used to live.

Access to the custom code used to be here, but now there is a link to the Theme Options area to do it. Unfortunately, access to that area is not possible due to the issues with the custom code. This is the same in both the staging server using Pro and the live server using X.

Is there another way to access the custom code?

Regards

Hey @guybower1,

Your screenshot shows the WordPress Customizer and we no longer use that. You can learn more about that here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/note-about-theme-options-and-the-customizer/23746

Please check your custom codes in the Theme Options. You can click the Theme Options button within the Customizer or you can go to WP Admin Menu > Pro > Theme Options

Hope that helps.

hi Christian

I do appreciate your reply, but that is exactly how I tried to access the theme options; actually I tried it both ways; via the Appearance >Customise then the Customize Pro in Theme Options button and also WP Admin >Pro > Theme Options. As I indicated, there simply is NO access. The screen simply chugs away forever trying to load. As a result, I am unable to examine any custom code to see what is causing the conflict.

Any help gladly accepted, as this is becoming very frustrating

cheers

Hello @guybower1,

Please make sure that all your theme and plugins is up to date. Out dated plugin may cause issues in your site. And also, please make sure that there are no issues with your server settings.

See the secure note. Thanks.

Hi Rue

Thanks so much for your reply

All of the plugins were already up to date prior to making this enquiry. The theme is also up to date. The only thing not up to the latest is PHP, which is version 7.0 rather than 7.3.

There are some messages I get when logging in to the staging server. I have copied and pasted them below:

_page was called incorrectly. The seventh parameter passed to add_submenu_page() should be an integer representing menu position. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 5.3.0.) in /mnt/data/home/102462.cloudwaysapps.com/hqfyphspzd/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4986

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /mnt/data/home/102462.cloudwaysapps.com/hqfyphspzd/public_html/wp-content/plugins/convertplug/admin/bsf-core/auto-update/updater.php on line 35

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /mnt/data/home/102462.cloudwaysapps.com/hqfyphspzd/public_html/wp-content/plugins/convertplug/admin/bsf-core/auto-update/updater.php on line 37

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /mnt/data/home/102462.cloudwaysapps.com/hqfyphspzd/public_html/wp-content/plugins/convertplug/admin/bsf-core/auto-update/updater.php on line 38

Any suggestions as to how I get access back?

cheers

Just a quick update. Site health shows 3 critical issues:

1 is the update of PHP - It recommends updating to 7.3, but I have not been able to successfully run the PHP Compatibility tool. It does not return a log at all, so I cannot see if 7.3 is compatible

2 is site is set to display errors to visitors - “The value, WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY, has either been enabled by WP_DEBUG or added to your configuration file. This will make errors display on the front end of your site.” Not really an issues on the staging server

3 is backgrounds are not working as expected - “A plugin has prevented updates by disabling wp_version_check()”

cheers

Hey @guybower1,

Sorry for the confusion earlier about the Theme Options “access”.

First, I’m not going to cover those notices to avoid confusion and they’re not related to the Theme Options loading/access issue.

Regarding the issue, it’s a custom code in the child theme that is causing it. Before I tell you what it is, please bear in mind that fixing custom codes including locating them is outside the scope of our theme support. I’ll tell you what is causing the issue now but if you have troubles with custom code in your child theme next time, please hire a web developer to fix the custom codes.

It looks like you’re trying to override the loading of scripts with the custom code. That’s not recommended unless you have a developer working closely with you as website optimization work differs from site to site and it’s quite involved. If you wish to optimize your site on your own, you can check our Performance Guide but again, optimization issues are not covered in our theme support.

Below is the screenshot of the conflicting custom code. I’ve commented it out and Theme Options now loads or you can access it now.

Hope that helps.

Hi Christian

Thanks so much for your reply

I very much appreciated you taking the time to locate what was causing the issue, as it was beyond me. Just so you know, the code in question was not written by me, nor any human I know. I can only assume either Cornerstone or a plugin has written it, though which plugin I do not know.

Where was that code located, as I just went to the custom code area of the child theme and was not able to find it? Or is it in a php file?

Thanks so much, Christian; you’ve gone above and beyond what is expected, but just wondered if you had any inkling what may have added such code. Nobody has access to altering the site other than me and I have never seen any of that code you showed.

Thanks so much for your time

Regards

Hey @guybower1,

I found that in the functions.php file of your child theme. If you or no one in your team added that code, it could be that you previously asked for a code and a colleague of mine inserted that there. Please be wary of the codes we provide here in the forum. They only serve as a guide.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.