Converted from X to Pro, registered license, but unable to install and activate

Hi,

I successfully converted from X to Pro and have followed documentation (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/x-to-pro-conversion/104) up to the point where it instructs this:

Upgrading to Pro from X couldn’t be simpler. Simply upload Pro either via FTP or via your wp-admin > Appearance > Themes > Install and activate. All your settings and content will be automatically migrated to Pro from X.

I went to Appearance > Themes but do not see the “Pro” version to upgrade to. Also, I downloaded both the pro.zip and pro-child.zip files and am wondering if I’m supposed to install the pro.zip then the pro-child plugins in that order?

At which time I change the template name in your child theme to xpro?

Don’t know which trigger to pull next and appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hi @incywincies,

Thanks for writing in.

The link below is the a guide on how to manually update your theme.

Mainly, after you uploaded pro.zip, Activate the theme in your Appearance > Themes.

And for the child theme, setting up childe theme, it is used for further customization.

Guide for customization.

Hope it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Hi Nico,

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I’ll have to completely absorb and take all of this into consideration.

Much appreciated,
Orlando

Hi There,

Head over to your Themeco License page and try clicking on the key icon to complete the license transfer and then try validating your site.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Yes, I validated/converted but am guessing I now have to upload and install the zip files pro.zip and pro-child.zip in order to do that. Please confirm.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hi There,

Are you referring to the site in the secure note ? If so, I see that you have already installed Pro theme and Child theme into that site.

Anyway if you’re validated means you already installed Pro theme correctly.

Hope that’s clear.
Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, I converted to Pro via the dashboard but got confused referring back to Nico’s reply, where it’s suggested to upload the plugin in order to install pro:

Mainly, after you uploaded pro.zip, Activate the theme in your Appearance > Themes. And for the child theme, setting up child theme, it is used for further customization.

Also, the “X to Pro Conversion” Documentation recommends updating the child theme to pro-child and renaming the template to “xpro”

This is a screenshot of my file manager as it relates to x-child. I have not renamed anything yet.

So, the questions are, Do I still need to upload and activate both the “pro.zip” and “pro-child.zip” files? If I had to guess I’d say “No” to the pro.zip because Pro is activated, but “Yes” on the pro-child.zip because I haven’t touched that.

My apologies if questions are repetitive, and if I’m making this process more complicated than it is, but the different docs, recommendations, etc. are throwing me off.

Appreciate your help,
Orlando

Hi,

Probably don’t need to see it, but I forgot to attach the view of file manager regarding x-child.
Again, I haven’t renamed template or uploaded and installed pro-child.zip.

Thanks,
Orlando

Hi Orlando,

I can see you mentioned that “Pro is activated”, that means you uploaded pro.zip successfully on your website and activated it, is that right? if so, then that’s great. Let’s talk about the child theme then.

I can see you have x-child theme folder under your themes directory, then you can just rename that directory to pro-child and edit style.css file in that child theme directory so that the template line be Template: pro instead of Template: x. No need to upload pro-child.zip file and the xpro thing was just a typo in that doc and it has been corrected.

Now, your child theme is ready to be activated.

Note: I’m quoting this paragraph from the migration article as I think you should consider it before using a child theme:

Updating Your Child Theme
If you are currently using a custom child theme, we’d strongly recommend testing any updates to Pro on a staging area beforehand while your custom code should work keep in mind the header and footer builder introduces new CSS classes and markup which means you may need to modify your child theme.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I am awaiting to get permissions to rename or delete root directory folders.

Orlando

Hi Orlando,

Do let us know how it goes in case you still have any question.

Cheers!

Hi,

I was able to rename x-child to pro-child, but when I open the style.css I see this:

Notice it still says "X-Child Theme"

So, I haven’t edited the style.css in order to change “…the template line be Template: pro instead of Template: x.” – as was stated above. I don’t see how Pro-Child Theme can be active for me to edit the style.css.

Also, I tried to install the pro-child.zip plugin thinking it might make a difference but it failed.

Here is a screenshot of my root folders. It clearly shows pro-child:

I have no idea what to do next, as I’m afraid I’ll make matters worse.

Orlando

HI Orlando,

First, please make sure you have a backup of the files before you make any changes.

Is your site: https://www.incywincies.com/?

If so, I am not sure how you were able to validate the theme using your Pro license since the active theme of the site is still X.

Since you have upgrade to Pro license, you will have to install Pro separately and activate it since X and Pro are two separate themes.

You can get the installable file for Pro from your dashboard.

Before activating Pro, since you are using X, please make sure that you disable Cornerstone first. Cornerstone is already native to Pro so you will not need a separate installation for it. If Cornerstone is still active before you active Pro, you might get some errors so please make sure it is disabled.

Once Pro is active, you can then validate your site using the converted licenses key.

Then, you can follow the suggestion made by @Alaa:

Currently, the code in your style.css file has:

/*

Theme Name: X – Child Theme
Theme URI: http://theme.co/x/
Author: Themeco
Author URI: http://theme.co/
Description: Make all of your modifications to X in this child theme.
Version: 1.0.0
Template: x

*/

update it to:

/*

Theme Name: Pro – Child Theme
Theme URI: http://theme.co/pro/
Author: Themeco
Author URI: http://theme.co/
Description: Make all of your modifications to Pro in this child theme.
Version: 1.0.0
Template: pro

*/

The important lines that have to be updated are:

Theme Name: Pro – Child Theme
Template: pro

Hope this helps.

Hi,

First, yes…my website is https://www.incywincies.com/

Second, I backed up my website and followed your instructions up to “…get installable file for Pro from dashboard.” I downloaded the pro.zip file, which I assume is what you meant, and tried to install but received the following error.

My active theme is still X-Child:

Third, it looks like some of the Pro features are available, yet the Pro theme is not active:

Lastly, while I appreciate all the help you’ve provided, I still cannot activate Pro despite following instructions to the letter. I think I’ve gotten conflicting instructions and feel at this point this issue should be escalated.

I will reactivate Cornerstone for now.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hi Orlando,

Based on your screenshot, you seem to be uploading Pro in the plugins section. Please upload Pro in Appearance > Themes as installing it as a plugin won’t work since it is a theme.

Yes, your active theme would still be the child theme as you did not make any changes yet.

Please try to make sure you upload the Pro theme first then follow the suggestions in the previous response on how to update X Child to Pro Child:

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Yes, I went to Appearance > Themes. Do you mean this:

This is all I see. I don’t see a “Pro” version.

Thanks,
Orlando

Hi There,

Connect to your server using FTP and delete any of your X theme files in your themes directory.

/wp-content/themes/

If you see any directory starting with x for example x-child you can delete them. Then you can upload your Pro Child theme which is pro-child into your themes directory (/wp-content/themes/) and activate child theme from Appearance -> Themes section.

Hope that’s clear.

Hi,

I did as instructed and while I have the Pro theme now it seems it’s only partially working. Both Pro and Pro-child are in my root directory:

I see an error regarding the template and I copied the code you provided into the template, so not sure why the error.

Apologies for this dragging on so long but I do appreciate all of this help.
Orlando

Hey Orlando,

Please give us WordPress admin and FTP access in a Secure Note so we could actually see your setup and what is causing the issue.

Thanks.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll send the info you want in secure note.

Orlando