Child Theme creation

When I installed Pro from X I forgot to do the child theme. I’ve been using Pro for a while now and updated the web page substantially.

What would be the best way to create the Child theme now? Can I still use the original on this site or will it change anythin?

Thanks.

Hi @PlanetPluto,

Did you edit any file of the parent theme? If you didn’t it is okay to install the child theme activate it.

You can get the Pro child theme from here:

https://theme.co/apex/child-themes

If you have edited any of the parent theme files, please make sure to keep a copy of the current site then move the edited files to the child theme.

Please check for more information here:

Hope this helps.

All good. Backed up and installed child theme. Nothing changed.

thanks again guys!

You’re most welcome, @PlanetPluto.

I have customized the theme and added code in the CSS area, and I now realize I should use the Child theme. So after I install the Child theme, what should I do? What do you mean when you say “keep a copy of the current site then move the edited files to the child theme” ? Which edited files? A step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cindy,

Do you mean in the Theme Options > CSS area? If so, that is fine it won’t going to be affected if you switch from parent Pro theme to child theme.

Is there any particular customization you wanted to do? Like adding tracking code or 3rd party widgets? If not, then just keep your child theme activated, at least now you have the child theme ready whenever you need it moving forward.

What Jade meant is backup your parent Pro theme (or entire site to play it safe), then move all the file customization you made on the parent theme to the child theme, base on your posts it seems you did not do any template file (coding) customization. So switching from parent theme to child theme should not be a problem on your site.

Hope this shed some lights,
Cheers!

I just want to add a side bar to portfolio items posts, i read that it requires some coding edits done in child theme. So i should wait until i have child theme installed and do that on the child theme, right? thanks.

Hi Cindy,

Yes, that is right. Those are the types of customization that needs a child theme.

More about child theme here.

Cheers!

Thank you for the help.

You are most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.