Changing code in _navbar.php file to add social links doesn't work

Hi there,

as recommended, I copied the _navbar.php file into the child’s theme and changed the code according to earlier suggestions in the forum (for example: https://theme.co/apex/forums/topic/how-to-change-php-files/)

Although I followed all the steps, the social icons still don’t show up in my navbar. What am I missing? Can you help me find a solution for this?

Would love some tips and tricks on how to solve this problem.

Cheers

Hi There,

There’s changes in the structure. _navbar.php file is now located here:
\wp-content\themes\x\framework\legacy\cranium\headers\views\global. To customize it, copy the file on the same folder on your child theme here: \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\legacy\cranium\headers\views\global. Create the folder if it doesn’t exist. Then add the customize code as needed.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

thanks for the quick reply! Regrettably, I can’t find a folder named “legacy”. Anyway, I already found the _navbar.php file yesterday, the customized code just didn’t change the page’s appearance. Now I found that the social links are showing in the topbar which I had switched off.

Is there a way, I could place them in the navbar? I’d like them to be placed next to the menu.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

You need to create those directories in your child theme

wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\legacy\cranium\headers\views\global_navbar.php

After that copy the code below into that file.

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/GLOBAL/_NAVBAR.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Outputs the navbar.
// =============================================================================

$navbar_position = x_get_navbar_positioning();
$logo_nav_layout = x_get_logo_navigation_layout();
$is_one_page_nav = x_is_one_page_navigation();

?>

<?php if ( ( $navbar_position == 'static-top' || $navbar_position == 'fixed-top' || $is_one_page_nav ) && $logo_nav_layout == 'stacked' ) : ?>

<div class="x-logobar">
    <div class="x-logobar-inner">
      <div class="x-container max width">
        <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_brand' ); ?>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>

<div class="x-navbar-wrap">
    <div class="<?php x_navbar_class(); ?>">
      <div class="x-navbar-inner">
          <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_nav', 'primary' ); ?>
          <?php x_social_global(); ?>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>

<?php else : ?>

<div class="x-navbar-wrap">
    <div class="<?php x_navbar_class(); ?>">
      <div class="x-navbar-inner">
          <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_brand' ); ?>
          <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_nav', 'primary' ); ?>
          <?php x_social_global(); ?>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>

<?php endif; ?>

Hope that helps.

Hey Paul,

thanks for your suggestion! I followed all the steps, but it still doesn’t change the positioning of the social links.

I updated the theme, I copied the navbar into the child theme, I copied the suggested code and it still looks like above. What am I missing? I did all these changes on the FTP server, do I need to do something additionally or will it implement the changes in the website directly?

That’s the first website I’m constructing, maybe I’m making a basic mistake. If you have any ideas as to why it doesn’t work and what I could do about it, I’d be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

Hi There,

Maybe you should not be doing a custom modifications for now. I suggest you use the FontAwesome icons code instead as your custom menu item’s Navigation Label (https://prnt.sc/67ufyv).

Facebook
<i class="x-icon x-icon-facebook-square" data-x-icon="&#xf082;" ></i>

Instagram
<i class="x-icon x-icon-instagram" data-x-icon="&#xf16d;" ></i>

Youtube
<i class="x-icon x-icon-youtube-square" data-x-icon="&#xf166;" ></i>

Twitter
<i class="x-icon x-icon-twitter-square" data-x-icon="&#xf081;" ></i>

Pinterest
<i class="x-icon x-icon-pinterest-square" data-x-icon="&#xf0d3;" ></i>

Google+
<i class="x-icon x-icon-plus-square" data-x-icon="&#xf0d4;" ></i>

LinkedIn
<i class="x-icon x-icon-linkedin-square" data-x-icon="&#xf08c;" ></i>

Vimeo
<i class="x-icon x-icon-vimeo-square" data-x-icon="&#xf194;" ></i>

Tumblr
<i class="x-icon x-icon-tumblr-square" data-x-icon="&#xf174;" ></i>

SoundCloud
<i class="x-icon x-icon-soundcloud" data-x-icon="&#xf1be;" ></i>

If you need other icons, please go here (http://fontawesome.io/icons/). Select the icon that you need, get the icon’s unicode and class name (https://prnt.sc/g66jr4)

Then supply it to the data-x-icon and class attribute respectively.

Keep in mind that we prefix our fontawesome class with x-icon- instead of the fontAwesome’s default fa-

Do not use custom codes from the old forum anymore as most if not all of those are for X version 4 and no guarantee that they would work in X5 or PRO.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!