Change Language of Pro Child Theme

Hi,

Can someone help me change the language of X Pro-Child.

I followed the instructions as laid out on:

But it results in my website going white screen. I can only remove the white screen once I remove the code in the instructions above.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi @werbar77,

Thanks for writing in.

In this case, we need to investigate your set deeper to identify what is causing the white screen.

Please share us your admin credentials and FTP so we could check your setup closer.

Don’t forget to set it in secure note.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. I tried to copy the po/mo file but there is no such a thing on your installation. I wonder which language you want to use?

I wanted to do as follows:

1. Change the Language of the Wordpress Dashboard to the one you want to use.
  2. Copy over the x-CODEOFTHELANGUAGE.po and x-CODEOFTHELANGUAGE.mo to:

wp-content/languages/themes/

The po/mo files are the one which you already provided using the POEDIT software as per the guide.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback, I would like to keep the Wordpress dashboard in English… but I would like to change the theme langauge to Afrikaans… thus the website will be in Afrikaans.

I followed the process as laid out in the instructions above and saved two poedit files called af.mo and af.po in the following file:

/public_html/wp-content/languages

My problem start that as soon as I fill in the code as instructed in my child theme’s function file, then I get a white screen.

Hope this help.

Hi There,

A white screen usually means there is a fatal PHP error. Can you please enable WP_DEBUG mode? You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding the following code just above /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you revisit the page with the white screen, you should have some error output describing the issue in more detail.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

However its not a specific page which goes white, its my whole webpage that goes white inlduing the wordpress dashboard.

I followed the translation setup to the point and then I get the white screen, could you please see if there are any errors in the instruction causing this?

I’m using child theme Pro and it seems that the instruction is set up for normal X theme, could this be the problem?

Thanks,
W

Hi W,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. There’s a missing closing curly brace. Please try this code instead:

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'load_child_language' );
function load_child_language() {
	load_child_theme_textdomain( '__x__', get_stylesheet_directory() . '/languages' );
    }

Let us know how this goes.