Buggy cornerstone and other issues after update

Hello

I just updated a all of the plugins and my theme on my site and now there are many strange issues, I cannot seem to isolate them even if I shut off all of the plugins and systematically reactivate each plugin while clearing the cache of my browser between activations

The biggest most troubling error is this- within cornerstone, if you click on ELEMENTS or INSPECT, you get re routed to a THIS PAGE COULD NOT BE FOUND page— this makes no sense to me but I am hoping that this is a syptom of some simple issue that will hopefully fix everything

I tried switching back to the main theme from my child theme and that did not seem to help

multiple instances of The Grid that are supposed to be there show up in browser viewing, but not in cornerstone

the site only loads half the time on chrome and safari mobile versions
the site only loads it’s background image half the time on chrome and safari mobile versions (background is assigned via CSS within the Welcome page)

Please let me know what I can do to get the background consistently working on mobile, and how to make all of the instances of the grid that can be seen in normal browser view load in cornerstone. Also please help me make sure the site loads properly on mobile browsers and make sure that I can use cornerstone properly without it’s internal editing/navigation links being broken

please feel free to disable any plugins for testing, I tried disabling all plugins and then reactivating one by one and still could not get to the root of the problem~even with all plugins deactivated the ELEMENTS and INSPECTOR links within cornerstone still do not work and produce the page could not be found error

Also please note* one strange behavior- if I clear the cache on safari mobile on ios I can get the page to load successfully with the background image HOWEVER, once it is fully loaded with the background image (might take a minute to load fully- the background is always the last thing to load on this page and takes awhile on mobile even when the rest of the site seems to be fully loaded, can take a minute or two) anytime I press RELOAD the site will crash----- if I clear the safari mobile cache after this and reload, it works----- what does this mean? Is the site caching too much information within safari mobile for the browser to handle? Is there some way to fix this?

Please help me to fix this as soon as possible as I am trying to do a launch on the site

attaching login info below- Thanks so much!

Hi Jared,

Thanks for writing in! When accessing your site URL, I’m getting the following error added to secure note section. 500 internal server error usually means a PHP fatal error. You need to enable WP_DEBUG mode by following this guide here (https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG) and when you revisit your site, you should see corresponding error messages.

Further, you can follow the instructions below and see if you can isolate the issue. Most possible causes are due to caching or plugin conflicts. Also check your PHP version and memory limit.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the Theme Options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

thank you so much for this

the 500 error has now been fixed- can you please help me with the other errors listed above? I have copied them again here along with my secure login

I just updated a all of the plugins and my theme on my site and now there are many strange issues, I cannot seem to isolate them even if I shut off all of the plugins and systematically reactivate each plugin while clearing the cache of my browser between activations

The biggest most troubling error is this- within cornerstone, if you click on ELEMENTS or INSPECT, you get re routed to a THIS PAGE COULD NOT BE FOUND page— this makes no sense to me but I am hoping that this is a syptom of some simple issue that will hopefully fix everything

I tried switching back to the main theme from my child theme and that did not seem to help

multiple instances of The Grid that are supposed to be there show up in browser viewing, but not in cornerstone

the site only loads half the time on chrome and safari mobile versions
the site only loads it’s background image half the time on chrome and safari mobile versions (background is assigned via CSS within the Welcome page)

Please let me know what I can do to get the background consistently working on mobile, and how to make all of the instances of the grid that can be seen in normal browser view load in cornerstone. Also please help me make sure the site loads properly on mobile browsers and make sure that I can use cornerstone properly without it’s internal editing/navigation links being broken

please feel free to disable any plugins for testing, I tried disabling all plugins and then reactivating one by one and still could not get to the root of the problem~even with all plugins deactivated the ELEMENTS and INSPECTOR links within cornerstone still do not work and produce the page could not be found error

Also please note one strange behavior- if I clear the cache on safari mobile on ios I can get the page to load successfully with the background image HOWEVER, once it is fully loaded with the background image (might take a minute to load fully- the background is always the last thing to load on this page and takes awhile on mobile even when the rest of the site seems to be fully loaded, can take a minute or two) anytime I press RELOAD the site will crash----- if I clear the safari mobile cache after this and reload, it works----- what does this mean? Is the site caching too much information within safari mobile for the browser to handle? Is there some way to fix this?*

Please help me to fix this as soon as possible as I am trying to do a launch on the site

1. when I used Cornerstone to edit a page and clicked on the internal editing navigation buttons such as ELEMENTS or INSPECTOR it produced PAGE NOT FOUND errors- **please note this is even after disabling all third party plugins

2. strange error on mobile safari browser and chrome on ios- the first time you load the page jaredmadere.com it loads fine(you must let it load all the way until the background image loads, can take a moment)- if you press reload it will crash the mobile browser UNTIL you clear the mobile browser cache and press reload again

3. there are certain instances of the plugin called THE GRID that comes with xtheme that show up on my site but are not showing up within the cornerstone editor~~~ Since all of these errors started at the same time I am hopefully they can all be solved from a couple of simple changes

attaching login info below- Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi Jared,

Cornerstone is working fine on your site now, I did go ahead and update your X theme to the latest version (6.3.8) since you already have updated the Cornerstone to the latest version.

I also cleared all your caching features, including the two deactivated caching plugins you have (W3 Total Cache, WP Fastest Cache), deactivating a plugin does not always mean its clearing its saved cache, so you need to clear it. And having a multiple caching plugin can caused an issues, I would advise that you keep deactivated that two caching plugins since you already have the Endurance Cache.

Cornerstone does not show a preview of The Grid or Essential Grid (and some other plugins) in the builder, that is intentional to avoid conflict between those plugins and Cornerstone. Your Grid will work just fine on the frontend.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

thank you so much for this

the issue with the mobile browsers crashing still persists

can you please take a look at my new thread and help me resolve this issue

Sure, we will reply to that thread.

Thanks

Just wondering if this solved the “Page not found” issue? I am having the same issue, even when not pressing anything but just being in the pro editor area for 30 seconds or so sends me to the page not found. I only installed the theme 48 hours ago so surely am using the latest version. Don’t want to waste my time attempting the above if it is likely my issue is different.

Hi @EstherHolloway,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

404 error while using Cornerstone is most likely it’s related with Permalink settings. Please use the solution mentioned in following tread:

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.