Beginner questions: Author Image, Related Posts, PopUp, SM Icons, Footer, etc

Hello, I changed to X themes today and have some questions (probably more in the next days), as I’m struggling with some rather easy tasks.

1. I want to add an Author Image + short bio directly (!) under my blog posts - however, I can only add it to my sidebar or footer (which is below comments etc) via widgets. Is there another easy solution?

2. Also, I want to include related posts right after my blog post (actually after the author!) My goal is to create it like in the image attached (Nomadic Matt), as my featured images have similar proportions and it would look perfect.

3. I tried to include my Mailchimp popup to one of my footers (footer 1) with the provided HTML code. That worked, however, I couldn’t see the popup at all (it should appear after 20seconds). What could possibly have gone wrong? (My page is www.mscgerber.com). Also: It creates a huge blank space between my content and the next footer, which I want to avoid.

4. I have something in the corner of my page that I couldn’t figure out what it is so far. What is it? How can I remove it? Or can I even add something with value there? It’s in the top right corner of the attached image.

5. I would like to add 4 Social Media Icons next to the search function (also see image above) but couldn’t place it there. The headers just showed up above everything again. They should also be clearly visible on the mobile version though.

6. I have a Table of content plugin with which I created the tables for some of my blog posts with my old theme. This doesn’t work right now, I tried to deactivate it (and other plugins) but still, it doesn’t work. I also realized that I can’t deactivate the plugin “Meks Author Widget”, so maybe this causes the problems. On the screenshot you can see the “table of content”, it’s just showing this though instead of the correct table

Sorry for the many questions, I hope I can get help. Also, is there a “service” where I could get paid help if I need bigger adjustments etc in the future? I have very specific visions but it’s hard for me to make them happen.

Hi Michael,

I want to add an Author Image + short bio directly (!) under my blog posts - however, I can only add it to my sidebar or footer (which is below comments etc) via widgets. Is there another easy solution?

You can utilize the author shortcode for this and add it to your post using actions.

eg. Add this in your child theme’s functions.php file

function add_author_post() {
   if(is_singular('post')) {
       echo do_shortcode('[author title="About the Author"]');
   }
}

add_action( 'x_before_the_content_end', 'add_author_post', 10 );

Also, I want to include related posts right after my blog post (actually after the author!) My goal is to create it like in the image attached (Nomadic Matt), as my featured images have similar proportions and it would look perfect.

You can try this third party plugin

I tried to include my Mailchimp popup to one of my footers (footer 1) with the provided HTML code. That worked, however, I couldn’t see the popup at all (it should appear after 20seconds). What could possibly have gone wrong? (My page is www.mscgerber.com). Also: It creates a huge blank space between my content and the next footer, which I want to avoid.

You can try convertplus plugin instead and link it to your mailchimp account.

I would like to add 4 Social Media Icons next to the search function (also see image above) but couldn’t place it there. The headers just showed up above everything again. They should also be clearly visible on the mobile version though.

You can try this - https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/adding-social-media-icons-on-the-right-side-in-header-menu/19955/3

I have a Table of content plugin with which I created the tables for some of my blog posts with my old theme. This doesn’t work right now, I tried to deactivate it (and other plugins) but still, it doesn’t work. I also realized that I can’t deactivate the plugin “Meks Author Widget”, so maybe this causes the problems. On the screenshot you can see the “table of content”, it’s just showing this though instead of the correct table

Please note that wordpress themes are not interchangeable. Each theme has specific way of of displaying things so not everything that woked in your old theme will work with xtheme. You need to redo some to make it work with X.

For table of content, you can try our toc shortcode

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/table-of-contents/

Hope these helps

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Author: I included that shortcode and it seems to work, however, the distance between it and my social share plugin is too small now. Can I adjust that distance somehow too? See the image below for what I mean.

Related Posts:
I tried this plugin but it shows me this error when activating it “You have no Zemanta API key and the plugin was unable to retrieve one. You can still use Zemanta, but until the new key is successfully obtained you will not be able to customize the widget or remove this warning. You may try to deactivate and activate the plugin again to make it retry to obtain the key.”. Seems to work though, however, I the position of it looks really bad - would I be able to put it to the center and or to another position somehow? If there is a paid plugin that is better I’m also happy tu use that.

MailChimp Popup works now, thx!

Table of Content:
I’m using a plugin “Table of Content Plus” which worked for me - also when I switched to X Theme, but then suddenly stopped working. It generates the table of content automatically when adding [toc] into the article. From what I read now I’d have to edit all of my blog posts and add codes into the actual html individually to get that result? Isn’t there another solution? Thx

Social Media Plugins:
That thread looks good - yet, how do I “create a path directory”?

You ignored one of my questions btw: 4) I have something in the corner of my page that I couldn’t figure out what it is so far. What is it? How can I remove it? Or can I even add something with value there? It’s in the top right corner of the attached image.

I’m really confused about what this is.

Best,
Michael

Hello Michael,

Thanks for updating in!

1.) To have a space between your social share plugin and the author box, please add the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

.x-author-box.cf {
    margin-top: 30px;
}

2.) For full control of the related post plugin, you will have to buy a separate license key. If you want to to try out other related post plugins, you may check this out: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/related+post/

3.) If the “Table of Content Plus” plugin has a [toc] shortcode then it will be in conflict because of the table of contents shortcode in X theme which you can check it out from here: http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/table-of-contents/

4.) This is the toogle button to show/hide the header widget sections. If you want to get rid of this, please go to X > Theme Options > Header > WidgetBar and select “None” for the Header widget areas option.

5.) To create a path directory, please log in to your ftp and browse to the themes folder wp-content/themes/x-child/

Hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for your answer!

1. Thank you, that worked perfectly!

2. Where can I find this key? The plugin didn’t give me any options to do so. I’m happy to pay for a plugin if it makes exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks.

3. Yes, my plugin has a [Toc] Shortcode. Is there a way I can make this plugin work? It is, in my opinion, easier than the one built from X - I don’t have the time to manually adjust all of my old blog posts currently. Please do let me know if there is an option so i can use my old plugin with the [toc] - maybe deactivate the function of X?

4. Thank you, that worked! For what exactly is this toogle button though?

5. Okay thank you. I will have to think about that, as I never did that before.

Edit: I found another way to add my Social Media Icons to the header - however, I can only display it with this toogle bar? Can I somehow show my header widgets permanently?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for updating in!

2.) You may visit the website of the plugin and contact the creators of the plugin. They should be able to answer you correctly since we do not have any full knowledge about this plugin.

3.) You may need to disable the TOC built in the theme. To do that, please add this line in your child theme’s functions.php file

remove_shortcode( 'x_toc');

4.) The toggle button is to show or hide the header widget area.

5.) You cannot show the header widget area permanently. What you can do this this:

• Disable the Header widget.
  • Go to X > Theme Options > Headers > Miscellaneous and enable the “Topbar”.
  • Go to X > Theme Options > Social and insert your social network profile links
  • Save all your changes.

The topbar will display and the social icons will be at the top right side of your site.

Hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I added the code to the function.php file (see screenshot), the problem didn’t change though, it’s still the same.

This is how it looks: (you can’t click on it)

Everything else worked, thanks for you instructions, I just need to find a way for the [toc] problem

Best,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Please try:

function shortcode_cleaner() {
    remove_shortcode( 'x_toc_item');
}
add_action( 'init', 'shortcode_cleaner' );

Hope this helps.

Hello and thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, the problem is still the same with this code.

Hi Michael,

Maybe it needs different priorities since the code initialization can affect that. Example, nothing will be removed if it’s not yet registered, what if it’s registered later than the added code. So, let’s try these both

}
add_action( 'init', 'shortcode_cleaner', 99999999999999 );

If still not working, try this

}
add_action( 'wp_head', 'shortcode_cleaner' );
add_action( 'admin_head', 'shortcode_cleaner' );

Thanks!

Unfortunately it still doesn’t work. Here are two screenshots to show if I made it correct and how it looks still

Hi Michael,

In that case, would you mind providing your admin and FTP login credentials in the secure note? And maybe it’s a wrong part that we’re removing as I can’t find the connection with TOC clickable button.

Thanks!

Hello,

sure, I added the information in the Secret Note. Here is an example link for a blog post where I have the table of content usually included: https://www.mscgerber.com/things-to-do-in-cappadocia/

I’m currently running a promotion - so it would be good if the site is available during you change something too

Best,
Michael

Hello Michael,

Please understand that there is a conflict between the Table of Contents Plus plugin and the table of contents shortcode in Cornerstone. They share the same shortcode and the one displayed is from Cornerstone. I ended up modifying the code to make sure that the table of contents of Cornerstone will be disabled. I used this:

// Remove TOC Function Theme
    remove_shortcode( 'toc');

if ( class_exists('toc') ) {
      $toc = new toc();
    }
}
add_action( 'wp_head', 'shortcode_cleaner' );

Please check your site now.

Yes, that worked now. Thank you!

Glad it’s working now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.