All Media deleted from WP after update

Hello please help.
My webpage www.jonathanwhitecpa has lost all of it’s media when I updated. My media library has No media files.

Hello @PWhite2,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Looks like you shared wrong/incomplete website URL www.jonathanwhitecpa. I got the website URL from your licence manager page (http://www.jonathanwhitecpa.com/).

I can confirm that the media files are deleted. However, just updating WordPress should not have happened this until and unless you were using quite an old version of WordPress before updating. Unfortunately this is not exactly a theme related issue, so it will be outside the scope of support we can offer. At this moment I would encourage you to get in touch with the hosting provider and see if they have the backup. Also before updating did you took complete site backup. If you or hosting provider have backup, you have the option to rollback.

I also see that you are using quite an old version of X Theme and Cornerstone. Please see screenshot (in secure note). I would suggest you to update X Theme and Cornerstone. More details can be found on following articles:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

I normally see an update option for the X theme, however this time around I do not see an update. Do I have to go somewhere else other than the dashboard to get that X update?

I did contact my host and am waiting on the backup. In the mean time, Do you have any idea what could have happened? All I did was back up. I was in, pictures were there. I backed up and pictures are gone?

Hello @PWhite2,

Thanks for updating the thread.

You can get the update notification by visiting Appearance > Themes and Plugins > Installed Plugins. However, as you are using quite an old version of Theme, you will have to update theme manually. I have shared the link in above reply. Please take a complete site backup and if possible test the update on a test server. Our theme update guide has all the necessary details and safety precautions that you should take before updating. Encourage you to take a close look at the theme and plugins update guide.

At this point of time I am not in the position to give you the details as in what could have happed that caused media files getting deleted. I suggest you to get in touch with hosting guys for some reason and also ask for log file. It may contain some details to narrow down to cause.

Thanks.

could you please give suggestion on plugin to secure my website? I feel confident I got hacked because when I logged on I see another admin acct under user that I did not add or recognize.

Hello @PWhite2,

Actually I am not a huge proponent (personal view, please don’t consider same as official Themeco advice) of additional security plugins. On my personal blog I don’t use any security plugins. However, few things I make sure and keep on checking periodically:

1. I always make sure that WordPress, Themes and Plugins are up to date.
  2. Keep an eye on suspicious activity on server, for this you can get in touch with the hosting company and just take a look at the log file.
  3. Make sure you are using supported version of PHP on the server. Using outdated PHP opens up possibility of security loopholes. You can take a look at following article for WordPress server requirements. https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
  4. Make sure you have correct file permission on the server. Sometimes incorrect file permissions is cause issues. Please take a look at following article https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

It’s very important to have strong foundation and making sure that WordPress, theme, plugins, server setup is up to date helps a lot. Once you have covered the basics you can take a look at security plugin. I suggest you to please take a look at following article on list of popular security plugins:

https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/7-best-wordpress-security-plugins/#gref

I also encourage you to take a look at following articles to learn more about the steps you can take to make website more secure:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wordpress-security/

https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-security/

Note: Please note that above views are personal and should not be interpreted as official Themeco advice.

Thanks.

Thank you for your personal advice, I really appreciate it!

In your personal opinion, IF I keep my site updated but I am on a shared server and there are 3 other websites using the same account, and their versions and plugins are not up to date, does that open up my site for attack? What is your opinion of using firewalls?

Hello @PWhite2,

Hosting on a shared server exposes website for potential attacks. I suggest you to please take a look at following article that explains the concepts:

https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/shared-hosting-vs-vps-hosting/

My recommendation would be to move from shared hosting to VPS. It may cost you a bit extra money but in long run it’s all worth it. For example, in Digital Ocean you can create a simple droplet (hosting instance) starting with $5 per month. I would suggest you to look for some alternatives or ask your current hosting company regarding VPS server and plan accordingly.

Thanks.

I have looked through all my FTP files and see that my pictures are still there, can anyone help with how to get my wp to see the files again? I really do not want to update to the new Theme X because the other website that I updated to the new version crashed and it was aweful to fix. I really do not have the time to have this one crash. As of right now this website is good, only missing pictures.

Hi,

Can you confirm that you have done the steps provided by my colleague.

As you are able to see the image files in FTP, please check the file permission and make sure it is set as these

755 for all folders and sub-folders.
644 for all files.

If it is not correct, you can fix it through your ftp client.

Kindly refer to the link below for your guide.

Thanks

Thanks Paul! I will look into this and let you know.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi everyone,

I tried and tried and tried but could not get anywhere, so I broke down and restored to an older version. I am now in the process of updating wordpress and X - pray.

Hi there,

A good option would be to setup a staging site which is a duplicate of your current site.

You may also seek help from your host on how to set this up.

Once the staging site is setup, you may do the updates from there. If the update goes flawlessly. you should not have any problem updating your live site.

In case the issue persists, please provide us with the admin and FTP details of the staging site so that we can check it more.

Hope this helps.

Oh my goodness Jade - thank you!

This makes my life so much better, blood pressure has gone down :smiley:

Hi Paul,

Hostgator says that I have to use the older version of PHP because it is not compatible with the Layer slider that I am using. I am setting up a Staging site right now thanks to Jade’s suggestion but now I am running into a product validation error.

“Could not retrieve extensions list. For assistance, please start by reviewing our article on troubleshooting connection issues.”

Following the troubleshooting connection issues sent me on a wild goose chase so I tried to do a manual upload of the new X version and got the following error: Upload failed - ah!

Hello There,

Please provide us the WP access to your staging site as well so that we can investigate.
If you may, we can also update the X theme in your staging site.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

I was instructed by HostGator to delete my staging site and try again, so that is what I am doing. I will update with the staging site info. here as soon as I am done for help with uploading the new X theme. I am guessing that maybe X doesn’t want me using the theme on 2 sites with just one credential even though its just a staging site? Now sure but will let you know.