Add excerpt to pages

I was following this thread:

But after adding the code to my child theme, I am not seeing Excepts on pages (nor under Screen Options).

Are there any other suggestions?

Hi @wbgTHEMECO,

Thanks for writing in.

I tried to add the code:

// Add manual excerpts to pages
// =============================================================================
add_action( 'init', 'my_add_excerpts_to_pages' );
function my_add_excerpts_to_pages() {
     add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );
}
// =============================================================================

to the functions.php of my child theme and I am able to have the excerpt option to my pages.

If you are using Wordpress 5, you will have to click on the cog icon to see the meta options.

Let us know how it goes.

I’m using Wordpress 5.1.1 but I also have the Classic Editor plugin installed from Wordpress.org development team.

Could this be part of the issue?

Hello @wbgTHEMECO,

Using WordPress 5.1.1 and the Classic Editor plugin is not a problem. You may enable the page excerpt in the Screen options in the page editing screens. Check out this codex to learn where you can find the screen option:

Hope this helps.

I’m at a loss then.

I’ve added the function:

// Add manual excerpts to pages
add_action( 'init', 'my_add_excerpts_to_pages' );
function my_add_excerpts_to_pages() {
     add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );
}

to the child theme.

But I still don’t see the Excerpts option under screen options.

I could add to a secure note FTP or Wordpress credentials.

Hi There @wbgTHEMECO

Please make sure that you have activated your child theme first, under Appearance -> Themes section. Then, could you please try disabling your 3rd party plugins and see if you’re experiencing a plugin conflict. You can also double check this resource (https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/add-excerpts-to-your-pages-in-wordpress/) and make sure that you have setup everything correctly.

Also please make sure to clear all caches when testing your issue (https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-clear-your-cache-in-wordpress/).

If you’re still having issues, please provide us with your WordPress login credentials in a secure note to check your issue further.

Thanks!

Ack! This is embarrassing. I forgot to activate the child theme!!! I’ll blame late hours on this very basic oversight.

Thanks for the tip.

Hey @wbgTHEMECO,

We are just glad that you have figured it out that your child theme is not yet active.
Thanks for letting us know! If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.