WooCommerce Cart Module Shows Currency as $ instead of £ when empty

Hi, I’m working on a WooCommerce site and I’ve set the currency to pound sterling and it works fine after you’ve added something to the cart, but when there’s nothing in there, the currency shows as $ instead of £ and I’ve looked everywhere for the setting to change this but I can’t find anything!

I’ll attach a screen grab for your reference and I’ll put the URL in a secure note as it’s on a temp link.

Hope you can help!


Hi @core365

Thank you for writing in, first please make sure that your Wordpress and Pro are up to date.

Updating WordPress
Updating Your Themes and Plugins

Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If the issue persists, please provide us login credentials in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Let us know how it goes,

Hi, I’d updated everything before contacting yourselves and unfortunately didn’t fix it. I’ll put the login details in a secure note for you.


Hello @core365,

I went ahead and edited your cart modal element in your header. I have added “Cart” as primary text and then used the dynamic content {{dc:woocommerce:cart_total}} to get the cart total.

It displays the pound and then after a few seconds it goes back to $0.00. Do you have English translation or have you added a language translation into your site?

Kindly let us know.

Hi @RueNel,

Many thanks for doing that, I appreciate it! I haven’t added any language translation to the site and in Settings > General the ‘Site Language’ is set to ‘English (UK)’ so I haven’t got a clue where it’s grabbing the $ from!


Hello @core365,

We have tried over and over in our local testing servers. We cannot replicate your issue in any case. We already changed our language to English UK, made sure to use Pound sign and still nothing. We are seeing though that you have several WooCommerce and plugins installed. This might be caused by a plugin conflict. You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.