Video background not playing on mobil

Hi, I’ve just updated to the latest Pro / X / Cornerstone on my staging server and I’m trying out the video background functionality.

I have this working already on my production site (www.birdy.se) using an approx. 16-24 months old X/Cornerstone/Pro with a 5 MB video (MP4/H264) but since previous versions of X didn’t support this, it’s a hack.

But on my staging server it only works on desktop, not mobile (iPhone) – and it’s the same video file being used. Why doesn’t this work?

I attach hidden info to this post.

I’ve read some other posts that this might be a “feature” saving mobile data and has to do with the browser, but as mentioned I got it to work on my production site, and also using other themes (like Elementor).

Best,
Petter

Hello @birdycom,

Thanks for writing to us.

Background videos, especially in iOS Safari browser, are disabled on mobile, but it plays well in the Chrome browser on Android devices. There are other ways to make that possible but that would mean slowing down your page and it’s outside the scope of our theme support as it would require custom development. I would suggest you contact a developer who can assist you with your concern or you can avail of our services called One where customization questions are answered.

I would suggest you go through the following thread on this.

Thanks for understanding

Thanks for your fast reply, I will check the thread.

But why is it outside the scope of Theme X when some other page builders can do it?
(Regardless what one thinks about it, it’s quite an important design feature today.)

Best,
Petter

1 Like

Hi Petter,

I like to see the issue, but when I check your dev site on an actual Android phone the background video is playing fine.

Please clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Thanks,

I’ve done that already, this seems to be the case of Theme X video background not working on iPhone (iOS Safari ).

If it should work, then I guess there is some kind of bug.

Hello @birdycom,

I am using macOS and when I test your site in the Safari browser, the video is playing on smaller screen size.

See the secure note.

I am not just sure how it plays out on an iOS device with a Safari browser as I could not test the site since I do not have an iPhone. When I checked your site on my android phone though, the video is also playing. Please clear your Safari browser’s cache or use private browsing mode while testing your site, Please also make sure that you are connected to a wifi network because when Safari detects that you are using mobile internet, it will disable the video.

Best Regards.

There is no problem in macOS regardless of screen size.

Yes, I use wifi.

Someone at your office needs to try this on an iPhone.

(I can make this work on iPhone using Theme X and custom CSS/HTML, or by using Elementor. But never using Theme X on its own. )

Hey @birdycom,

Our development team has labeled this case as a bug. Regretfully, there is no solution yet.

Please stay tuned for future updates.

Thanks.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the info and good to hear it’s being taken care of.

I will now implement custom code instead on the staging site.

Best,
Petter

Hi Petter,

You are most welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.