Video Background is non-responsive

Good morning,

I have a section on my homepage which contains a background video. It looks great when you first go on, but if you try to make the screen bigger it does not ‘cover’ and instead shows a grey space until the end of the clip and then updates its size:

What makes this more obvious is that because the video wont play on phones I have to use a smaller clip which I have formatted as a GIF. If the user makes the screen bigger they kind of see both playing at the same time which looks very strange.

I have removed the GIF for now just while you look into this

Thank you,
Jason

Hey @hyperdrive_boom,

I have replicated the issue so I’d post this in our issue tracker so this case will be queued to be investigated by our development team. Right now, there is no temporary solution to this.

By the way, your video plays on my Android phone (see the video in the secure note). What phone model, OS, and browser are you using. Please provide their version numbers as well.

Thanks.

Thank you for the quick update on this @christian and the video of your Android

On the video playing on phones - I am using a iPhone 12 - Software version 14.6

I would rather not have a gif playing in the background as its just adding more weight to the page

Please advise
Thank you

Hello @hyperdrive_boom,

Background videos, especially in iOS Safari browser, are disabled on mobile, but it plays well in the Chrome browser on Android devices. There are other ways to make that possible but that would mean slowing down your page and it’s outside the scope of our theme support as it would require custom development.

I would suggest you go through the following thread.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.