Update from X4 to X6 and Cornerstone 1 to 3

hi there,
can i update only the theme (from 4 to 6) and not cornerstone?
it did this on a test site and now cornerstone does not load anymore (i turned off all cache plugins). i get this message window:
The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.
that means cornerstone became so slow in the case that it does not work at all.
the provider is a fast one using ssds. my internet connection is very fast, too.
so can i use the theme v6 with cornerstone 1.x?
thanks a lot! kai

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! Please be advised that X 6.x.x works best with Cornerstone 3.x.x. I would recommend that you create a staging site and clone your site. This is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-staging-environment-for-a-wordpress-site/, https://maintainn.com/2015/02/how-to-create-a-staging-site-for-wordpress/

• By the way, X 6.1.1 and Cornerstone 3.1.1 are now available in automatic updates! This release contains fixes for several issues so be sure to check out the changelog (http://theme.co/changelog/). Please do update to the latest version. After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

hi there!
thanks for your fast reply!
like i said i did this on a test site (meaning clone of the original site).
the automatic update does not work. i am on x 6.0.4 and cornerstone 3.0.4 and hit the “check now” button twice :wink:
caches are cleared.
so i will stay on these versions until cornerstone works again on my test site.
thanks again, kai

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

hi paul,
what about the updates not showing up?
what about cornerstone not loading anymore??
thanks, kai

Hi Kai,

Sorry, the new version is currently only avalable for manual updates. We plan to roll out X6.1.1 and Cornerstone 3.1.1 on automatic updates tomorrow at 8pm Central

To fix cornerstone not loading, you can try adding the code below in wp-config.php file

set_time_limit(300);
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1024M' );

Thanks

hi paul,
thanks a lot!
i had already new memory limits in there. but i replaced them with yours and the time limit.
it did not help, though.
cornerstone is unusably slow in general since the v3 in my experience.
anything else i can do?
i expected the updates to be available since @RueNel said so.
thanks, kai

Hi Kai,

It’s available for manual update.

You can download the latest version from your Dashboard.

https://theme.co/apex/dashboard

Then follow the steps below

1. Unzip x.zip on your computer.
  2. Rename the x folder to x-updating.
  3. Connect to your server via FTP and navigate to your /wp-content/themes/ directory.
  4. Drag and drop the x-updating folder into your themes directory.
  5. Upon completion, rename the previous x folder to x-previous.
  6. Rename x-updating to x. Your site will now be at the latest version.
  7. Delete the x-previous folder.
  8. Visit the WordPress dashboard at least once to ensure any migration logic can run (this happens behind the scenes).

Do the same for Cornerstone. (you can get the plugin from your theme in x/framework/plugins)

1. Unzip cornerstone.zip on your computer.
  2. Rename the cornerstone folder to cornerstone-updating.
  3. Connect to your server via FTP and navigate to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
  4. Drag and drop the cornerstone-updating folder into your plugins directory.
  5. Upon completion, rename the previous cornerstone folder to cornerstone-previous.
  6. Rename cornerstone-updating to cornerstone. Your site will now be at the latest version.
  7. Delete the cornerstone-previous folder.
  8. Visit the WordPress dashboard at least once to ensure any migration logic can run (this happens behind the scenes).

Hope that helps.

hi paul,
yes it was mentioned here. then i looked it up and on your website it says you strongly recommend the autom. update. i really don’t want to break anything and will wait for tomorrow :wink: thanks! kai

Hey Kai,

Yes, automatic updates is recommended. The purpose of manual update is explained here

Whether manual or automatic though, it would still be best to test in staging first.

Thanks.

hey christian, thanks. i already said it 2 times here. i am testing on a staging site since it is a bigger update. i will not update the live site as long as the cornerstone problem is not solved. best wishes, kai

Hi Kai,

Would you mind providing us the admin and FTP details of the staging site so we can do some checking? For the meantime, please try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Thank you.

hi jade,
thanks for your reply and suggestions!
but the staging site was offline shortly after i wrote to you last time.
also the whole very-slow-cornerstone-loading-times topic is something i experience regardless which website or provider i am on. i have around 10 active x sites running. the problem is always the same. cornerstone got terribly slow with version 3.
now the latest update also did not really make it faster (as some of you suggested here in there forum). so my hopes are down again.
i will not update any of my sites before this problem is being solved. and i really hope it will be solved, since i really love the whole x-ecosystem otherwise!
thanks again! kai

Hi Kai,

The latest update did solve some of the performance bottlenecks that were preventing your builder from loading. There is quite a bit involved to properly render V2 elements with their dynamic styling. Once the builders load they should work fairly quickly but we have seen some slow load times especially when you have many plugins active or are using a slower server. Using PHP 7 will definitely help if you can run that. Regretfully, I can not promise it will be getting much faster in the near future.

hi alexander,
thanks a lot for letting me know!
i still hope you will find ways to speed it up.
and i really really look forward to the announced inline text editor!!! hope it will not slow down cornerstone, though.
the way text has to be edited now is really cumbersome.
thanks a lot for listening! kai

You’re most welcome, Kai.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.