Update cause Essential Grid to create a whitepage site

Hi support. After the last update (Wordpress, Pro and plugins) I have a white page at https://lekamouraska.com. Deactivating Essential Grid bring back the site. The problem is that I use it to present the content cards. Help needed please.

I will restore a backup and do not update.

Hi @philippe11

I would request you copy your live site to a staging server and update the theme into the latest version.
And give us access in the secure note for further investigation, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Hi @tristup. The staging is here https://test.lekamouraska.com

Updating Pro cause a white page and Essential Grid too.

Hello @philippe11,

I have logged in to the staging site and it is indeed showing a blank screen which means that a fatal error has occurred. In most cases, PHP memory limit exhaustion causes the white screen of death. Please increase your PHP memory limit to at least 256MB or up to 512MB.

If still that does not help and the white screen continues, please enable the debug mode. You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you revisit the page with a white screen, you should have some error output describing the issue in more detail.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hi @ruenel. The PHP memory limit is now set to 512MB. https://test.lekamouraska.com/info.php

Same problem.

Hello @philippe11,

I checked your site, it is still white screen it doesn’t show any error after enabling the debugger mode on. I would like to suggest you please add the below-given code into your wp-config.php for debug setup, and the error logged into the file name debug.log inside the wp-content folder.
You can let us know so that we can do further investigation based on that.

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
//SET PHP INI DISPLAY ERROR FALSE
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Please find the video that will help you to edit wp-config.php and add the above code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDPTafEM8o

I would also request you to please share your FTP details in the secure note so that we can debug it properly at our end.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi @prakash_s. Code addes in the wp-config.php file > Done

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
 define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
 define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
//SET PHP INI DISPLAY ERROR FALSE
 @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Strangely the admin page is working correctly.

Hi @philippe11,

It seems that your Web Host is not properly configured to show the error messages which helps us to recognize the problem you are having. After setting up the wp debug, referred by my colleague, there was no debug.log file created. I would suggest you contact your Web Host on this and check the error log for an exact issue you are having.
The following thread might be helpful for you: Cornerstone Update is Not Functioning Properly

Thanks

Hi @philippe11,

Thank you for sharing the credentials and your patience in working through this issue with us. We were able to find some errors. I’ll add them in a secure note for posterity on this thread, but don’t worry about understanding what they mean. This has helped us confirm that there is a problem with Essential Grid integration and we are looking for a way to fix it.

Once the fix is ready, I will install a patched version of Pro on your staging site to test and confirm it addresses everything. We’ll do this before the official release so when that goes out it will be safe to update your production site.

Hi @philippe,

We managed to make a small adjustment in 4.1.3 which I didn’t expect to fully resolve the issues you were having, I’m checking your site again to see what else may be needed.

Hi again @philippe11,

We’ve narrowed this down to Essential Grid skins that display an excerpt while connected to a source that is content built in Pro or Cornerstone. I’ve found a way to prevent the error, but unfortunately we still haven’t resolved being able to display the excerpt. As it stands, in Pro 4.1.4 the fatal errors will be resolved and the excerpt will be an empty string. I’m going to spend some more time looking into alternatives, but we may need to collaborate with Essential Grid to fully resolve this. I’ll be in touch.

Hi @philippe11,

Thank you for your patience while we’ve worked on this issue. I’ve installed a patched version of Pro on your staging site that will prevent the fatal PHP error and memory limit from happening. This is basically the 4.1.4 point release that will be going out today minus a couple things I still need to check on. You can safely update via automatic updates.

Unfortunately we were not able to get the excerpt outputting in Essential Grid. This has to do with how they output the excerpt using its raw form instead of the get_the_excerpt function. Pro is setup to dynamically provide the excerpt from the builder content using a filter in that function, but in the case of Essential Grid that never happens. We are going to reach out to them to see if it’s possible to update their code to ensure the filter runs. This may take some time and it will be at their discretion.

Meanwhile, an alternative would be going to each item and using the WordPress post editor to manually set an excerpt. Manual excerpts can always be output.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding here.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.