Server 500 error - cant load pages to edit

Hi there, I have been using x or pro on many sites now and not had any problems. This clients site - after launching successfully - will not let me edit pages or update settings. Keep getting error 500. I asked the client to address it with their host Inmotion Hosting and they sent back the following reply. Is there any substance to this? I have never had a problem with your themes before. This site is using X.

See below.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today we discussed in the call I am sending you this article in regards to cutting down WordPress CPU usage.

This first article is how to install WordPress Heartbeat Control, this limits how often admin-ajax is called and will severely reduce the CPU usage when trying to edit or view anything on your admin dashboard.

This next article is for limiting and blocking bad robots from viewing your site, which can take up more CPU usage.

The last thing to check would be the WordPress Cron jobs in the background.

Hello @Health2018,

Thanks for writing in!

An Error 500 could sometimes be a fatal error. Most likely, your PHP memory limit might have been exhausted. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

And if the error 500 is still there, I would recommend that you enabled the debug mode. You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you revisit the page, you should have some error output describing the issue in more detail.

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

Ok so added those lines. Now that the debug is on this is what comes up when i try to get to the wp-admin page

Notice: Undefined index: tco_google_analytics_code in /home/actuat8/public_html/wp-content/plugins/tco-google-analytics/functions/options.php on line 50

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/actuat8/public_html/wp-content/plugins/tco-google-analytics/functions/options.php:50) in /home/actuat8/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1219

I upped the memory limits and that seemed to help. disabled debug unless you think the errors i listed above need to be fixed. thanks

Hi Connor,

Glad it’s working well now. As for those warnings, you may ignore them. And yes, you should disable the debug options.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.