Pro 2.3 breaks site

I could use some help trying to figure out why the new Pro update breaks our site, still in early development stages ( I ran the auto update and immediately started getting http 500 errors on both the front and the back end. I tried replacing the new version files via FTP just for good measure, but it didn’t work. For now I’ve just reuploaded the old version (2.2.5) and the site is back up and working.

Any idea why this could be happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for writing in and for the credentials but what is your login page? I tried /wp-login.php and /wp-admin but it did not work. In the meantime, please do the following,

  • Clear all the site caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors. While you’re at it, please deactivate this caching feature while we tackle this issue.
  • Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  • Remove custom Javascript and custom templates (if any).
  • Contact your hosting provider to increase your allocated memory limit or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php file.
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line:

/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

[Increasing PHP Memory Limit](

Let us know how it goes,

That’s weird that you weren’t able to get in from there, I use /wp-login.php and it works for me. Either way, I was able to get it figured out, thanks for your help. I checked the error logs and found that it was indeed a plugin conflict. I disabled the plugin in question using FTP and the site is back up and working again. Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully updating the plugin in question fixes the problem while still allowing me to use it.

Hi @Kelson,

I’m able to log in but I can’t check the issue since it’s restored back. How about cloning your site and use it as staging in your sub-domain or sub-folder? Then we can test the update in your staging.

Some hosting have staging feature, but if your host doesn’t have that then you can simply install Wordpress to your sub-domain or sub-folder. Then simple use All in one migration plugin to export your live site as a file, and import it to your staging using the same plugin.


I forgot to mention that I re-updated to 2.3. The site as it sits right now has the new update and is working fine, as long as a Cornerstone-related plugin is inactive.

I think I’m good for now. I’m going to manually update the plugin that’s causing the issue and see if I can activate it again without crashing the site. If that doesn’t work I’ll let you know. Thanks.

It’s good to know that it is working now.
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.