I can't edit my pages in Cornerstone

I am experiencing this identical issue. Really would love a resolution on this. I took a screenshot of the error in the developer toolbar if this helps:

I have the same problem. I found a workaround by setting a page’s publishing status to ‘Draft’. After saving that page, Cornerstone works. After completing your changes in Cornerstone, you need change to the page to ‘Published’ again.

Only the Homepage seems to work in Cornerstone even when published. For all other pages I need to use the workaround described above.

I hope this helps.

@mabraham thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this didn’t resolve my particular issue. Glad to hear there is a hack to fix this for some of you though.

I am sorry it didn’t work for you. I hope you will find a solution to your specific issue.

It doesn’t work for me either. I would have liked to see someone from Themeco on here by now. When you drop fifty-something dollars on a tool that is immediately broken the moment you go to use it, I’d kind of expect a little bit of help from the guys who developed it.

1 Like

Hey there,

Can you please check permalink structure of your site? Set it to post name and check Also You can try adding the following lines into your wp-config.php file in the root of your WordPress installation.

define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );

You can add the above code, before the following lines:
/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

To access Cornerstone, if you are on the page, hover X on Top Admin Bar | Edit Page

Or X | Launch | Content | Edit Page

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, actually that post name thing is all I needed to do. It works. Thanks!

Hi,

You`re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m currently working with support on this issue as well. I’ve used Cornerstone since it’s inception and my site has always used the default permalink structure and it’s never been an issue, until just recently I went to edit a page and found that cornerstone won’t work. Support is currently telling me to just change the permalink structure from default (which it’s been for 7 years now) to postname and that should fix it.

While I understand that the default permalink structure has drawbacks, at this point I’m so deep in with the permalinks that exist and all the links back to my site from those permalinks posted around the web, just changing the default permalink structure is a big undertaking and if I understand correctly will require creating 301 redirects for each and every old permalink, but will also negatively affect SEO when I make the change, regardless of the 301 redirects I’ll put in place. But maybe someone with more knowledge could advise in case I’m missing something there.

It seems like something must have changed in Cornerstone or X to cause this to all the sudden be broken since I’ve been using the default permalink structure the whole time without issue. And I also assume that I’m missing something because I assume that X development wouldn’t change something that could have such a wide reaching impact to a site. Hopefully someone else maybe has some input they could offer. I’m not trying to circumvent the support conversation I’m already in via email, just saw this topic and thought it might be something that others might have input on as well.

To my knowledge just changing the permalink structure of an already existing and established site with lots of links is not desirable for SEO, I’m not sure if others are aware of that when they make the change. But again, maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.

Thanks

Hi,

The new Cornerstone will only not work with the plain permalinks, so I assume that you have that default permalinks set.

By changing it to postname or to any other than plain will actually help your site SEO wise.

As the default one doesn’t have clean urls eg. http://yoursite.com/?p=123

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up, I’m gonna paste in the last response I had from Xsupport via email as they said to continue the conversation in the forums as opposed to email. Here is the response I received via email

"Hi there,

The access to Cornerstone is now different in new version and instead of >cornerstone=1 mode it is in /x/ URL structure. We had to do this to accommodate new changes which we introduced in Cornerstone version 2+ .

If the permalinks was set to default then setting to post name will not have impact on your previous links. They will redirect to new structure. But if it was set to something other than default it will not.

New forum support is live now. To any follow up questions or new questions, you can ask it in the new forum. "

I still haven’t made any changes yet because I’m trying to fully understand the implications of doing so. From reading that response above it sounds like when I change the default structure over to postname that Wordpress will automatically redirect all incoming links over to the new links with the different name. Is that correct?

From researching online it seems like a lot of the info I can find says it’s a bad idea to change the permalink structure on an existing site, as this will cause the original indexed pages that google had to be demoted. So any pages that had been established over years and were now highly ranking for certain words would end up getting demoted by google due to the permalink structure change. Obviously this is a bad thing I’d like to avoid since those pages have spent years getting to the point they are.

Additionally it sounds like I need to manually go through and install additional plugins and go through each link one by one and create 301 redirects to minimize the impact of the change, and also to prevent them all from going to dead links where people get a 404. Is this correct? I need to go through and add 301s to all of my existing links?

Is it possible to revert to a version of Pre 2.0 Cornerstone so I can retain the ability to edit the site, but can save my self all this extra work and the negative SEO consequences?

Thanks

Just wanted to add a quick note as I’ve been reading and trying to find options for fixes. Looking at Pro it says that the Cornerstone plugin is no longer used, and Pro uses a different built in editor. Would it be possible to change over to Pro from X, and retain the site and default permalink structure I have now?

Hi,

Changing the permalinks from default to postname will not affect anything as wordpress will redirect the old urls to the new ones. No need to install plugins or redirect anything.

I have tested this in my test sites and can confirm that this is the case.

PRO also uses the same url structure so default permalinks will also not work.

Thanks

Well that’s unfortunate to hear. Is it possible to revert back to the Pre 2.0 Cornerstone plugin in order to maintain the ability to edit the site?

From what I can tell wordpress will redirect the old URLs to the new ones (though not perfectly and I’ll have to manually check them all), but the preferred method is to do this on the server side. It seems like the 301 redirects for the pages will cause them to lose roughly 10% or so of their page rank, though this appears to be only one factor in page rankings in search results and they could drop further because of the 301 redirects. Additionally the 301 redirect will cause an increased delay in loading time which negatively counts against you in terms of page rank, since mobile friendliness and page speed factor into page ranking now.

So I understand that I can just simply click and make the change within wordpress for my permalink structure to change, but this will have a cascading effect on page rank and earned page rank of all of my pages when I make this change. This is the reason I haven’t ever done it. I mistakenly in my ignorance left the default permalink settings of wordpress on the site and then over the years as the pages earned page rank found that I couldn’t easily go back and make a change to that setting without it effecting the pages.

Is there any other way to get X to function still using the default permalink structure?

Thanks

To clarify, the page builder (the whole application really) still works with default permalinks. The problem is that the “Edit” button in the toolbar doesn’t know how to get you into that specific page anymore. It’s a few more clicks, but you can use the WordPress “Edit Page” button, then launch the page builder from the “Cornerstone” tab of the post editor.

Hello, thanks for the follow up. I’m trying to understand what you’ve written there to make sure I’m doing it right.

Right now I click on Pages from the Wordpress dashboard, then this takes me to a list of my pages. Then I click on “Edit” below the page I want to edit, which takes me to the page itself and my editing options. There are 3 tabs “Visual” and “Text” and “Cornerstone”. The “Cornerstone” tab is default selected and the window below displays the “Edit with Cornerstone” button. When I click that button I get taken to a white page error with text that states “[an error occurred while processing this directive]” The URL that is displayed on that error page is “http://www.totalgeekdom.com/x/#/content/2700/

So it seems like Cornerstone is unable to find the page to edit? But maybe I’m following the wrong sequence in clicks and there is another way to point Cornerstone at the page so that I can edit it.

Thanks for your help!

Hi there,

Yes, It sounds that the preview isn’t loading at all. There are many possible reasons and I could check it to find which one :slight_smile:. Would you mind creating a new ticket/thread and link it back here, then provide your FTP and Admin login credentials in a secure note.

Thanks!

Hello, I created a new thread with the requested information, just adding the link to the new thread in case it’s needed.

Thank you!

Hi @totalgeek,

Great! We’ll do our best to help you.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Quick update: The upcoming release (about to start beta testing today) has resolved this problem. “Edit Page” will now work with plain permalinks.