Google Tag Manager Identifier

Hi, I’m also wondering how I can use GTM to track clicks on my V2 elements, specifically my button and social elements in a header bar. I’m having the same problem as this person (link below)… no obvious way to give unique identifiers to my V2 elements. I’ve tried assigning unique classes and IDs then clearing caches, etc. GTM does not pick them up. Is there a solution for this?

This is what GTM picks up on when clicking a V2 Social element that links to a facebook page, doesn’t show the class or ID that I added, nor does it show that it’s a link to facebook:

Hello @threeoten,

Hello There,

​To assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your page in question with login credentials, if necessary, so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation. Once you have provided us with your URL, we will be happy to assist you with everything.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password (only if necessary)

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Regards.

Please see secure note

Hey @threeoten,

I’m sorry I’m not sure what Ruenel will check on the backend. Just simply based on your GTM screenshot though, I could see what seems to be the issue. Your GTM tracking was set up in a way that it captures the exact HTML element that was clicked.

Here’s the situation, the Social element which is technically a link, has child HTML elements or elements inside it including the graphic icon. Your GTM screenshot shows that you clicked precisely on the graphic icon and the icon is what GTM tracked because of your GTM setup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to answer your question.

On our end, no. But, based on personal experience, there are 2 methods you can use to track clicks in GTM. 1st is the one you’re currently using which is capturing the exact element and the 2nd one is capturing the link and not the elements inside it. You should use the 2nd one. I can’t elaborate on this as GTM setup is outside the scope of our theme support. Please contact GTM support for details. Just to provide you some guidance, please watch the following video. If it’s too technical, please consider hiring a GTM expert.

Hope that helps and thank you for understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.