Blog Posts aren't showing comments

I can’t figure out why not. Discussion is enabled, comments are enabled on the posts, and there’s no global CSS turning it off.

You can view here: https://celebrantmag.com/writing-your-own-obit-rip-john-truesdale

Any ideas?

Hi @jrhager84,

If you have the discussion enabled for the individual posts, there might be something else that is stopping the comments sections to show up. Have you tried testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

In case you have done it but the comment section is still not showing up, please provide us with the admin access to your site in a Secure Note:

Deactivating all plugins didn’t solve the issue. Maybe I’m missing something? I will provide a user account for you to look at it, and attach it via secure note. :smiley:

Hi @jrhager84,

The login provided doesn’t seem to work. It says invalid username.
Please check again and let us know.

For the mean time, you can try adding the code below in your child theme’s functions.php file

add_filter( 'comments_open', 'force_comments');
function force_comments($open) {
    if(is_singular('post')) {
        return true;
    }
    return $open;    
}

Hope that helps

Weird. Must not have hit submit. I created it with the exact credentials I noted above. Apologies. I’ll add that to the functions in the meantime. It’s present on multiple sites it seems. Thanks!

Also - The functions code works, but I’m really more concerned about finding out what the issue is, as it’s present on a couple of other sites.

Hi @jrhager84,

I have spend some time checking what is causing the issue but couldn’t find it. The settings seems to be correct.
I would like to deactivate all plugins or change the theme to wordpress default theme but I know this is a live site and would not like to break something.

Do you mind creating a staging site so we can further check on this. you can use this third party plugin in creating one

Thanks

Sure thing! I’ll have it done in the next hour or so

Staging site is created. https://celebrantmag.com/celebrant-staging

Hi There @jrhager84

Thank you for the staging site. I have updated your Pro theme, disabled your child theme, then disable all of your plugins, re-generated your permalink settings, but I could not isolate the issue.

To further troubleshoot this issue, we also require your FTP credentials. Please submit it though your secure note.

Thanks!

Ok. I’ll reattach that right now. :smiley:

Hi @jrhager84,

Thank you for providing your login credentials.
I deactivated all plugins and then switch to wordpress twentynineteen theme but still the comments are not showing.

I am sorry but this would fall outside the scope of support as it is no longer an issue with theme but has something to do with your wordpress installation.

You can try reinstalling wordpress

Thanks

You needed ftp access to switch a theme? Why did I provision an ftp account then if you didn’t use it?

It was a vanilla wordpress installation right before I added the theme.

Hi @jrhager84,

Your FTP credentials aren’t working and I can’t connect to both FTP or SFTP protocol. And even if we’re able to check the result would still be the same because it’s common Wordpress issue and not a theme issue. It’s been happening regardless of the theme so what we provided as a workaround is outside the scope of our capability as support but should fix the issue even if it’s not theme related.

You can also check this https://www.bloggersprout.com/fix-wordpress-comments-are-closed/

Thanks!

So we’ve come to the solution, inadvertently. I’m not trying to be persnickety, but it’s actually quite odd that the first troubleshooting problem fixed it. There is a ‘automatically close comment on articles older than X days’ that I didn’t know about, and a previous tech said that the settings were fine in my wordpress, which they were clearly not, which led me to believe it was something more.

Unticking that box solved it. I’m glad someone was able to point me to the actual conclusion. Thanks!

Hi @jrhager84,

I apologize that I missed that setting when I first checked your site.
I was focusing on the theme and individual post settings and missed that in wordpress discussion settings.
Anyways glad to know that the problem is solved.

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

I completely understand. I apologize if my words came off as harsh, as that was not my intent. I was merely explaining how the installation wasn’t a focus, as I was thought it was “cleared.” Hope that clears it up, and thank you again for the help!

You’re most welcome and no problem at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.