Navigation
This is archived content. Visit our new forum.
  • Author

hughpgp
    Participant

Hi,
    I am making a webzine site for a actual magazine. Ethos in that purpose is the perfect theme except one issue I have. I want to put a cover page like an actual magazine cover using a revolution slider followed by latest posts. Here is my site, theazine.com

Here is what I did to solve the issue.
    1. tried to find a way to put a rev slider on latest posts, but was not able to find it, because it only applies to a page.

2. tried to make a front page static (theazine.com/blog) and put a rev slider there, but don’t know how to load latest posts as it is showing now on theazine.com

Any suggestion?
    Please help me out on this matter.
    Thanks,

Hugh

Mrinal

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for writing in!

Follow the simple steps I describe below to get a Rev slider at Ethos homepage easily.

I’d advise that you setup a child theme. This allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released.

Now, Follow the steps described below one by one:

1) Copy this: x/framework/views/ethos/_post-slider.php file, paste it into child theme’s path: x-child-ethos/framework/views/ethos/_post-slider.php

2) Now, open the child theme’s file using Text Editor & find the line <?php if ( $is_enabled ) : ?> at line no. 42

3) Add this line <?php putRevSlider("Slider1","homepage") ?> just before previous line I mentioned in step 2. Here Slider1 is the name of the slider you created. Screenshot to get your slidername:

4) Check this image: How I placed the slider code into the file.

If you can’t replicate the above trick in your side, then share your FTP & website login info here as private reply.

Have a nice day, Cheers!

Trevor F
    Participant

I am looking to do this exact same thing but with “Renew”

I don’t see a _post-slider.php file, though…Can you tell me how to add a slider to the homepage for Renew? Or is it possible to add “latest posts” to a newly created page, on which I could also add a slider and set as my static home page?

Thanks!

Paul R

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for writing in!

_post-slider.php is only available for ethos stack

You can create a page then activate slider above masthead or slider below masthead to display a slider for that page.

http://screencast.com/t/nQWPwXlXi7T

Then to add the latest post you can use the recent posts shortcode.

http://theme.co/x/demo/renew/1/shortcodes/recent-posts/

You can then set the page you created as home page in Settings > Reading.

Hope that helps

Trevor F
    Participant

That would be perfect *IF* I could enable more than 4 recent posts and if they could be masonry style, like the default Renew home page (most recent posts)

Is that at all possible?

Rad

Hi Trevor,

Regretfully this isn’t a feature offered by X. It could be possible with custom development, but this would be outside the scope of support we can offer. You may wish to consult a developer, or a service like WerkPress or Elto to assist you with this. X is quite extensible with child themes, so there are plenty of possibilities. Thanks for understanding. Take care!

Pete W
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve done everything you described above and was surprised how easy it was.

I have added the line of code for the Rev Slider, but I have changed the name of the slier a few time as I keep getting this error show up on my home page despite changing the name and making sure they are names identically.You can see it cant find “AdSport”, but is suggesting I use “AdSport”?

Revolution Slider Error: Slider with alias โ€œAdSportโ€ not found.

Maybe you mean: ‘AdSport’ or ‘Slider1’

Pete W
    Participant

Got it, not sure why but its working so I wont touch it ๐Ÿ™‚

John Ezra

Glad you got it to work!

kwduckworth
    Participant

Hi,

I am attempting to modify the _post-slider.php file for the ethos child theme, but cannot locate it. I can locate this file for the X parent theme in the download package, but not for the child theme. Also, I cannot locate it view the WordPress Editor. I am assuming I want to modify this for the child theme, not the parent theme. My objective is to add the slider code for the home page as described above. Any guidance is appreciated.

kwduckworth
    Participant

I was able to CREATE the file in the child package under the above path, and re-install the child theme with the new php file. And it worked great! Desired outcome here: (Under construction, obvs) http://keithduckworth.wpengine.com

My only question is how can I edit this file in WordPress without having to re-upload the theme package every time? I cannot seem to locate the above file within the wordpress editor.

Thanks!

Zeshan

Hi there,

Glad to hear ๐Ÿ™‚

In regard to your question, this is a limitation by WordPress itself, it only displays the files which are located inside the main theme directory (see: http://prntscr.com/77gigr).

Thanks!

Mbzo
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Christopher

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in! Regretfully this isn’t a feature offered by X.
    We would love to help you but what you trying to achieve need custom development could be possible with custom development, but this would be outside the scope of support we can offer. You may wish to consult a developer to assist you with this. X is quite extensible with child themes, so there are plenty of possibilities. Thanks for understanding. Take care!

Mbzo
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.