Navigation
This is archived content. Visit our new forum.
  • Author

pearlmultimedia
    Participant

I watched the very good tutorial on portfolios. But, I’m confused about the distinction between portfolio pages, items and posts. It sounds like you’re using “posts” and “items” to refer to the same thing — i.e., specific portfolio pages that fall under a parent portfolio and will appear on that parent portfolio page. Is that correct?
    So if I want to create multiple portfolios under different parent portfolios, I should:
    1) Using the Pages menu on the Dashboard, create a single page (let’s call it Portfolio) that will serve as the umbrella page to all my portfolios.
    2) using the portfolio menu on the Dashboard, create “portfolio items” for everything I want to have its own portfolio page, making sure to select the proper child portfolio category from the drop-down menu on each of these item’s settings

is that right?

John Ezra

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in! Yes, your understanding is correct. Basically, posts, pages, x-portfolio are all post types. Posts and pages are built into WordPress. We can add custom post types and thy will have their own menu similar to portfolio items. Portfolio items are essentially portfolio posts. But since all are technically posts, we use different names like pages and items to help distinguish them. When using posts alone it usually refers to blog posts.

Hopefully clarifies a little bit more and not the other way around. Your understanding and procedure is correct.

If you need more assistance, just post in – thanks!

pearlmultimedia
    Participant

Thank you!

Christian

You’re welcome Pearl.