X Theme Icons Not Working

Hi

X Theme Icons used to work, but no longer is. Please see this page: https://www.thegayweddingguide.co.uk/lgbt-news-september/ Each link is preceded by an icon, but they’re not showing up. Can you tell me what needs to be done to get them showing again? Thanks

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in!

Are you using CloudFlare or may have installed a caching plugin like WordFence, W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache? Please keep in mind that after doing every updates, always remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

And since you are using SiteGround, please clear your site cache or temporarily disable the supercacher in your hosting panel? The SuperCacher is developed by SiteGround exclusively for their customers. It increases the number of hits a site can handle and boosts the website loading speed. The SuperCacher includes 4 different caching options for maximum optimization of your websites. You can access the tool by clicking on the SuperCacher icon in your cPanel.

For more information about this, please check it out here: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/supercacher/supercacher_intro.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I have cleared all the cache and still the icons aren’t showing. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

Hi,

Can you provide us a screenshot where the missing icons are supposed to be.

I checked and can see your social icons which means that the theme icons are working.

Please try to clear your browser cache as well.

Thanks

This is the code for the first credit on this page:

[x_icon type="camera-retro"] Photographer: Dreaming Tree Studios

As you can see, the icon isn’t showing. All the icons used to work, and now they don’t. Please tell me what I need to do to get them working again. I fully flushed all cache yesterday and again today, and still they’re not showing up…

Hi There,

Upon checking your website, I could see that you’ve updated the Cornerstone plugin to the latest version but NOT updated the X theme yet.

Please update your X theme to the latest version as well.

For the update guide, please take a look at this:

For the changelog: https://theme.co/changelog/

Let us know how it goes!

Hi,

The last time I updated the theme, it broke my site. I have asked the developer to update the theme, but they are reluctant for the same reason. Instead, they’re suggesting to rebuild the entire site, which seems ridiculous (and would be a massive cost) just to get the icons working.

Their response was:
updating the theme will break the functionality of the current site. As you mention you upgraded the site before and it broke.

The reason it breaks is because the website was built using version 3 of the theme and then the theme developer drastically changed how the theme works so the bits that we did for you will no longer work with the new version 4 of the theme. (I am not sure on the exact version numbers they are just to help explain)

You mention that the site isn’t working correctly again but it will not just stop working unless something changes such php version, theme is updated, plugins are updated or WordPress is updated. Do you know what was done to make it break?

There are a few solutions:
1 - get a backup of the site from when it was working and restore that.
2 - we could upgrade the theme on a development site and then spend support time fixing any issues/styling/etc. This would need to be charged using support time but until we clone the site and upgrade the theme we wont know what is broke.

A quick fix would be to restore a backup and we could look at rebuilding the site with the new theme on a development site.

Please let me know what you suggest - the reason I bought X Theme in the first place (and got it designed in X Theme) was because it was meant to be straightforward, but I’ve had nothing but headaches from it.

Hi @KateLovell,

Yes, site maintenance could get complicated but can be solved. And it’s true regardless of software, new updates can get new features and new features require some system features. Hence, the greater PHP version, latest Wordpress core, and the latest theme and all have to match to fix incompatibilities. And this kind of issues aren’t preventable in Wordpress since it’s a modular system (themes, plugins, libraries, and custom codes could be from different authors or even from your developer), and an update from one another could break it.

And the issue you’re getting from 3 to 4 is due to feature gaps and some deprecated features. And it usually happens between major updates. And when it comes to major updates, we do recommend to test it on a staging/development site because it could really break your live one.

And to explain this further, the latest major update contains the FontAwesome 5.0, it’s a library for icons and our theme couldn’t stay on older versions forever. And since our theme is dependent on the icons made by other author and developer then we should follow. And the new FontAwesome 5.0 has a different implementation that we need to incorporate to our theme for it to work.

I personally recommend testing any update to staging/development or clone of your live site as suggested of your developer. And missing icons are usually due to cache as the codes automatically follow the new font paths and class name, unless, you have custom codes and CSS that still uses the old icons. They need to be updated as well.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.