X Pro Preview Breaking Pages

The frontend of my site looks fine. However, if I try and edit the page in X Pro, the preview appears to lose most styling and becomes a mess. If I save while previewing like this, it breaks the front end.

EDIT: I’ve added both Staging and Production site details in the secure note.

I’m finding some very strange code in the responsive settings of my editor. It appears they’ve defaulted to a custom row setting and have strange characters populated in the custom setting field.

I should mention that this is a site that was migrated to it’s now current host last night (using UpDraft Migrator)

EDIT: Here’s a screenshot of the strange code injection in question: Row Responsive Settings Screenshot

I’m going to wipe the staging server clean and re-migrate. I hope that alleviates the issue.

EDIT: This still rendered the same issues as before. Please help! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @candorcbd,

Thank you for writing in, please clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache). This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If the issue persists, please do testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

I’ll perform that now and see if it helps. But to clarify… the site works perfectly fine (plugins and all) on the staging server. The exact same site on the production server isn’t playing nice.

Hi @friech,

I cleared cache and disabled ALL plugins. Still having the same issues. Here’s some images to better explain the issue I’m having.

Staging site editor view (looks perfect!)

Production site editor view (all plugins turned off)

Production site editor view (all plugins turned on)

You can see from the screenshots, the production site editor has some serious CSS issues. Everything just appears as one giant column. Plugins vs. no plugins appears to have no effect.

Would love if you could jump into the site via the credentials I supplied in the secure note and take a look around. I need to start editing the live, public, Production Site.

Hello @candorcbd,

Thanks for updating in!

I have logged in to your site and investigated your issue. I found out that the values of the row layout are corrupted. this could be due to a timed out or a server error while saving the data. I would recommend that you recreate the page again by defining the row layout for specific screen sizes.

By the way, I have made a test page and there are no issues in it. The settings and values were saved.
You can check it in the secure note.

Regards.

I’m guessing there’s an issue with migrating X Pro sites with UpDraft then. Is there any other migration method you might be able to suggest to move our Staging site successfully over to our Production server? I’m really not looking forward to rebuilding the entire site on the Production server.

Hello @candorcbd,

If you have just migrated the site, I would recommend that you review our knowledge base article about migration. We also have some suggested plugins that you can use for the migration. Please check it here:

Best Regards.

“Before we go any further, make sure you have a new WordPress site setup that you want to migrate to, remember this article only covers migrating Cornerstone, it doesn’t cover migrating your customizer settings, migrating files and images or migrating any other type of content. You can find more details about migrating that type of content content Here

This is pulled directly from the article you linked to me. This only moves the database and no content? The “here” in the article isn’t even linked to anything. Not very helpful. A little disappointing.

I know the values of the rows are corrupted. I included screenshots 2days ago depicting exactly that, asking for help.

I’ve migrated a handful of sites using Updraft+Migrator in the past with no problem. I’d appreciate some more help than “recreate your site.” I don’t feel supported here. I feel I’m receiving just redirection to articles or basic site checks when I’ve already performed them. I assume I’m on my own with this.

Hello @candorcbd,

Sorry for that. May we have the permission to clone your site going to our test server for further investigation? Where can we get the migration files or which site do we get the contents from so that we can migrate to a test server?

Thank you in advance.

Yes please.

Hi jhtitus,

I think there is a misunderstanding. The actual migration is outside of our support scope, my colleague was asking for the migration file to be able to check and see what might cause the problem of the corrupt values.

The recommended way to migrate the whole website is not different than any other WordPress website when it comes to the usage of our product.

We suggest that you consider migrating your website with the official recommendation of WordPress which is the method below:
https://wordpress.org/support/article/moving-wordpress/

The bottom line is that you need to export the MySql database and compress your website files and move them to the new server, then import the database and uncompress the files in the new server, and set the wp-config.php file with proper new data.

We can not delve into details of a site migration as this is outside of our support scope, but there are many resources that you can read to be able to perform the migration. I googled about that which might be of help.

I also did a quick research about UpDraft and it seems to be a robust backup plugin. I am not sure why the migration went wrong with that plugin, I suggest that you perform the migration again with that plugin, if the problem persists then you seek for the official recommendations that I shared above.

Thank you for your understanding.

Migration was fine. Database. Content. Plugins. Theme. Theme Settings. Etc. All migrated just fine. After migration, the front end and backend of the site appeared normal.

The Pro Editor was corrupting pages when I edited them. The simple act of selecting “Edit with Pro” on any page would break it. This was the issue.

I’ve fixed the problem myself. I took several hours and exported every single page, post, and global block from my staging site as templates. Then overwrote every page, post, and global block on my production site with those templates. Just simply re-feeding Pro Editor these templates alleviated all CSS issues. I’m still unsure as to why this happened in the first place, but happy I’ve found a solution. I can now select “Edit with Pro” on any of my pages and not fear destruction of the page.

To be clear, I wasn’t asking for help to migrate my site. I was just giving recent history of the site for context. I was asking “why is the Editor breaking pages.” Apologies if I was unclear. But it’s done now. I fixed it on my own. I feel I’ll be hesitant to reach out for support here in the future, which is unfortunate. Perhaps my opinion will change if I happen to face additonal issues in the future.

Know that I truly love X and Pro and have been using it for years across many projects and clients. This was just a fluke circumstance which I’ve never encountered, and unfortunately still have no answer to as why it happened. That’s the way it goes though sometimes! Carry on. Thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

Hey @candorcbd,

Thanks for your feedback and letting us know your feelings. We’re also glad that you’ve figured a solution for your site.

Before I provide some final input, I’d first like to say that please do not hesitate to reach out for support. We’re always happy to server our customers. It is just important for us to clarify things or draw a line sometimes in order for our support service to not get abused.

Now regarding the migration issue using Updraft, it could be an issue with how Updraft migrates serialized data. The builder’s data is stored as Post Meta and it is serialized. Regretfully though, we can do nothing about this but to refer you to links to other migration methods.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.