X 6.5.6 update broke my dashboard

I updated to the latest version of X (6.5.6) and it broke my dashboard for colaclash.org. I can see the menu on the left and can use the topbar navigation, but I cannot see any content. It doesn’t seem to have affected the front end of the site.

Update: I even switched the theme to one of the 201X themes and the dashboard worked properly again. After that, I quickly updated to Wordpress 5.2, and switched back to the X theme. Dashboard still doesn’t work. I tried updating my php to 7.2, but that doesn’t fix it.

Update: The new Wordpress tools sent an email to me saying that X is indeed the culprit for the breakdown. Here is what the email said was the issue:

Error Details
 =============
 An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 55 of the file /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-content/themes/x/framework/functions/x/validation/class-validation-cornerstone.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method TGM_Plugin_Activation::is_plugin_active() in /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-content/themes/x/framework/functions/x/validation/class-validation-cornerstone.php:55
 Stack trace:
 #0 /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): X_Validation_Cornerstone->maybe_show_notices('')
 #1 /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
 #2 /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
 #3 /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-admin/admin-header.php(281): do_action('admin_notices')
 #4 /home3/fizzfeud/public_html/colaclash/wp-admin/update-core.php(658): require_once('/home3/fizzfeud...')
 #5 {main}
   thrown

I don’t know if this error happened because I updated X before I updated Cornerstone?

Update: I tried renaming my /plugins/cornerstone/ folder via my host’s file manager, and that got me access to my dashboard. However, when I tried to install and activate Cornerstone, the same error appeared again, so I renamed /plugins/cornerstone/ back to it’s original name.

Update: Strangely enough, I can still edit in Cornerstone and everything seems functioning normally on my site, but that Wordpress dashboard is still not working…

Hello Bobby,

Since you have done the basic troubleshooting, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look?

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thank you.

Hi Bobby,

I was able to log in to your site. I haven’t investigated the issue further because I cannot check on the theme files or even the plugins section. Perhaps a 3rd party plugin is preventing it since this is not the normal way for WordPress in handling issues. Would you mind providing the FTP details instead?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Bobby,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

Can you please confirm the FTP hostname as I am getting hostname does not match certificate message while trying to connect?

Thanks.

I just tried using the credentials in the secure note on Filezilla and got in just fine.

Hi Bobby,

It could be the theme got corrupted which probably due failed installation/update. Could you try manual re-installation of both theme and cornerstone? Please check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 under Manual updates.

What’s weird is it keeps on displaying The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions. in the validation section right after disabling cornerstone. Which is my first time seeing this kind of issue, I let you do the manual update installation first and I’ll check again.

Thanks!

I’ve tried manually updating both the theme and cornerstone via FTP and it has not fixed my problem.

It didn’t show that message until I upgraded to Wordpress 5.2

Hi Bobby,

Yes, it’s a bit weird, my first time seeing this kind of issue and can’t reproduce on my installation of the same versions. Is there a way you can restore your site back to when it still working? Then just clone your live site into staging and test the update there? I don’t like to add more changes to your live site that may possible harm it more. Please check this for setting up the staging https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/slider-revolution-error-message/48874

Thanks!

I don’t have a recent enough backup to do that. Can I do a fresh install of X and Cornerstone without losing all of my data somehow?

Hello Bobby,

You will have to log in to your ftp and delete X theme (themes/x folder) and the Cornerstone (plugin/cornerstone folder) folders in their respective path. That is the safest way without corrupting or losing any data. You will have to upload X theme afterwards.

Please let us know how it goes.

Will I upload the theme via my FTP or via Wordpress dashboard?

Hi @bobbybosler,

You may try both, if uploading through WP admin doesn’t work then please try it through FTP.

Thanks!

Didn’t work. I tried deleting the theme and cornerstone and then re-uploading them, both through the Wordpress dashboard and also through FTP. It’s still giving me the same errors.

One thing that might help, though. When I reinstalled X, I could access my dashboard, but not the validation page. Once I installed Cornerstone, everything broke down again.

Hi Bobby,

Its a conflict with the Contact Form 7 Integrations plugin, I did go ahead and deactivate that plugin and the Cornerstone and X works fine now.

I tried to research about that plugin but could not find any documentation, regretfully, we cannot provide support for third party plugins or scripts as our support policy in the sidebar states due to the fact that there is simply no way to account for all of the potential variables at play when using another developer’s plugin or script. Because of this, any questions you have regarding setup, integration, or troubleshooting any piece of functionality that is not native to X will need to be directed to the original developer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Awesome! Thanks for finding that! It’s not mission critical for what we are doing and we can do without it.

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.