Work did not save

Hi just want to ask if there is a better way to find out about updates rather than half way through editing a post which continually is telling you it is saving! I am new to x theme and still learning how to implement all the elements etc… and so I spent a bit of time this morning on a post which continually said it was saving. Then the changes just were not happening in real time so I suspected something was up so I again saved my work and refreshed my screen. Only the first few minutes of my inputting today seems to have been saved. When I went into dashboard an update was then available - This was not available or showing when I logged in. I am very frustrated and disappointed at losing my work as I do not get a lot of time to work on my blog. How can I prevent this from happening in the future - as I said the theme update was not showing when I logged in. Samantha.

Hello Samantha,

Thanks for asking and apologies for the problems you are facing while saving the changes.

Please try out following solutions and let us know how it goes.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  3. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.
  4. Please make sure you are using PHP version 7 or greater to avoid any compatibility issues. https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

I have done all above. My server (SiteGround) already gives me a PHP above 512m automatically and I cannot change it. I did go into my wordpress PHP memory limit and increased it to above the 512M recommended. I deactivated the only one other plugin which was a loginizer. Everything is uptodate. I updated my PHP version to the latest one. What I am experiencing now is that I am editing in cornerstone changing colours and fonts using the cornerstone panel and it all looks good as I am doing it, but I press the button to open my post in a new window to get a real time view and my typing, rows/layout etc are all there but none of the fonts, font sizes, colours etc I have chosen are there it is all just black, large for heading rows and smaller for text rows - the rich text format when I have entered my text into the html editor not touched the rich text and used the editing tools under the text tab in inspector to do so. Not sure what I am now doing wrong? I have not published yet, it is just in draft form.

Hi Samantha,

This seems to be just a caching issue. Since you are using SiteGround, could you please clear your site cache or temporarily disable the supercacher in your hosting panel? The SuperCacher is developed by SiteGround exclusively for their customers. It increases the number of hits a site can handle and boosts the website loading speed. The SuperCacher includes 4 different caching options for maximum optimization of your websites. You can access the tool by clicking on the SuperCacher icon in your cPanel.

For more information about this, please check it out here: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/supercacher/supercacher_intro.htm

Hope this helps.

I cleared those caches already after going through the support threads here and on seiteground already. I will try disabling it?

Ok so I went through SiteGround support and they helped me out on their end. SuperCacher wasn’t installed properly. It was in my cpanel but not on my site. So the caches are clear but, I still have a problem that my back end edited post is all colourful and pretty and when I go into preview it is still black and white, so i thought maybe it will be better for new things I do and nope I added in another row and tried to style the text and it still came out generic and black and white.

I do not think this is a cache problem because I have just worked out that when I use the rich text feature those changes appear - I get coloured text and font changes. When I enter my text into the html box and then use the text style and text format boxes in inspector these do not seem to make any changes to my front end work - I can only see the changes in the editor. I do not like using the rich text feature as I don’t have my brand/site colours saved there or my preferred blog fonts.

Why are the text style and text format not working on my front end? Rich text editor also inputs code into the html text - the text style and text format do not.

Hi Samantha,

Please note that the rich text editor has higher priority than the text style and text format.
So for example if you have change the color of a text to red using rich text, then change the color in text style to blue.
The text will remain red.

Can you provide us the exact url of the page were we can see the issue and also a screenshot of your text settings.

We’ll inspect your site’s source code to fnd out what is causing the issue.

Thanks

These are screen shots. The first with the colours is in the cornerstone editor. The second black and white is what the page looks like in the real time front end preview. I have published the post and will add a secret note with details for you to look at my site. It is not just the text formatting showing up but all formatting. You will notice I have put in background colours which are not appearing on the front end page either!

Hey Samantha,

The CSS fails to generate in the front-end. The reason is currently unknown though.

I see you’re using PHP 7.3. Though it’s generally recommended to keep PHP updated, but just for testing, would you mind downgrading to PHP 7.2.

Please also give us complete FTP access. I see you’ve only give the host name and password in the other thread. Please give us the username too.

Thanks.

Ok will do. Sorry it took me a while to respond it was night time here and had to sleep. Downgraded the php and securing the info I think you need please let me know if the ftp is correct.

Hello Samantha,

The downgrade may have work because when I check your site, it is now displaying correctly.
I am seeing this now:

Please clear your browser cache or use private browsing mode and check your site again.

Oh I thought someone had fixed something in the code, this is really weird because it started happening before I even changed the PHP version from a really old version 5 to the latest version. Ok then fingers crossed everything proceeds ok from here. I just tried to input a few more things on the page and the formatting transferred to the front end.

Thanks for now and hopefully it won’t happen again - just a bit worried about future updates for PHP, currently I don’t have a lot of content, but in the future I will. Guess I will see what happens then.

Thank you.

You are most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.