Wordpress 5 bug

since the update wordpress 5, I can not edit my pages with “edith with pro” Cornerstone opens but I do not have the preview. It shows this message. The preview could not load. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive caching page. Checking the developer console for errors could indicate what went wrong … What to do?

Hello @zipe3,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Everything seems to be back to normal except the home pages of my sites. I still have the same error message ?? I emptied my caches, try other browser? If I pick the page as no longer my homepage I can edit it ??

and the same if i go change my header on pro directly ??

Hello @zipe3,

After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors. If you are using CloudFlare, please login to your CloudFlare account and purge your site cache too.

If nothing is helping, to assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thank you.

I dont use WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache.
Here are the accesses to one of my sites. (but I have several and they all have the same problem, I’m not able to change the Home page and the header section from Pro. Please help me.

Hi There,

Since this is a live site, is there a chance that you can setup a staging site so that we can do the testing there?

Here are some links where you will find information on how to setup a staging site:

In case you are not certain how to proceed, please try to get in touch with your hosting as they might be able to help you out about it.

Once you get the staging site setup, please provide us with the admin access to your site in a Secure Note (key icon under the replies you post/posted):

Thank you.

This is not a very used site. I made a backup. You can do tests directly on this one. thank you

I installed a new site this morning, without plug in, them original not child. everything is up to date. I still can not change the home page and header. If you prefer to test on this site, it is not active at the moment.

Hi There,

I got the 500 error when edit the header, it’s motst likely the fatal PHP errors(memory limit, …)

Please follow these steps:

1. Make sure that you’re running at least PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any WordPress related incompatibility issues. If you’re not sure what your server configurations and settings are, install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.
  2. Check your PHP Max Execution Time and set it for 120 for optimal usage (https://thimpress.com/knowledge-base/how-to-increase-maximum-execution-time-for-wordpress-site/).
  3. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

Let us know when you’re done.

Thanks.

It does not work. :frowning: I have more than a dozen sites that work with Pro, I really need it to work, thank you for helping me.
Can it help you if I give you access to my cpanel?

Hi,

Yes It can help since none of the troubleshooting steps works for you.

Please provide us your cpanel or ftp login in Secure Note.

Thanks

my host told me “Following a quick check, the problem seems to be at the level of the extension and WordPress 5.” ??

Hey @zipe3,

Are your other Pro sites use the same host as these sites with issue? This looks like a compatibility issue with MySQL. Please ask your host if you can downgrade to version 10.0.23 of MariaDB and upgrade PHP to 7.0.

Thanks.

Here is the answer from my host. A downGrade of the MySQL version is done at the server level only. Also, a downgrade would involve a technological backtracking and this is equivalent to delivering a less secure version, with flaws that are no longer corrected.
It is therefore unthinkable since we keep the “updated” versions of MySQL and all the time in order to reduce the risks.
I modified the php without result. I have 10 sites on your system and it causes me a lot of worries. Do you plan to upgrade soon to update with the mysql?

Hey @zipe3,

We understand your concern. Right now, we’re not yet sure what exactly is causing the issue that is why I wanted to test downgrading MySQL and upgrading PHP.

Also, I have asked:

It’s important that you answer that question because if your other sites work in the same server then the issue could most probably be in the WordPress setup.

We know for certain that there’s an Internal Server Error but knowing exactly what causes that error is tricky because we do not have control over the server. The only trace or message in the error log in your site is related to the database.

The possibility here is your server conflicting with WordPress. For example, I upgraded my test site to MySQL 5.7 and it made the Page Templates option disappear. And, I’m not talking about our themes only. It’s the same for any other theme.

Another quick method to test if it’s a server issue is you copy your site to a different web host. Every web host’s configuration is different but our themes work in most. I for one have never encountered any error except the time when I was testing a caching plugin. Out of the box, our themes work even in a free web host.

If the problem is really in the web host, regretfully, the only option would be to move to another host as we do not have control over them. I know this sounds blunt but, it is not feasible to test all different systems and if an issue is discovered, we could not give a time estimate as to when it will be fixed.

Right now, the problem with your system is not obvious so we would need to do the testing I’ve mentioned.

Thanks.

I just paid 1h to my host to see if the problem came from them. I copy you our conversation hoping that it can guide you in your search to solve the problem quickly.

HOST
« This is special because the page “Sample Page” works with their module “PRO” but not the other pages.

In the error on the screen of the extension, he mentions “Checking the developer console for errors could indicate what went wrong.”, Did the users of the module explain how to access this console?

According to what I can see, it is the content “CornerStone” which is not written in the database. For example :

For the page “Sample Page”, in the table posts_meta of the DB, one finds in other the following entry:

post_ID: 2 (Page sample)
_cornerstone_date: [{“title”: “”, “section_base_font_size”: “1em”, “section_z_index”: “1”, “section_bg_color”: “transparent”, …

However, for a test page I created, their module does not write this entry. So when loading the page, it must have encountered an error because it can not find the information that the CornerStone module needs to display the page.

According to what I read, you are not the only person who has had this problem:
https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-not-working-with-new-pages-and-posts/37173

What I was able to achieve:
By removing the file pnp.ini, user.ini and .htaccess from the hosting (in the directory public_html and not in public_html / wp), in my new pages the data seems to be created in the table “post_meta”.

Can you try to create a new page on your side and check if it works?»

ME
Hi Daniel,
It still does not work :(.
do you think the problem is on their side ??
Thinking of an incompatibility of the server with wordpress 5 ??
I’m a little mixed up. I downgraded the version of wordpress to 4.9.8 and the same thing with an older version of Pro and the problem remained? really bizz.
Is it worth it that I still pay 1 hour with you or I wait and pray heaven they go out quickly after Christmas an update that will fix everything?

HOST
The problem really seems to come from CornerStone, on our side, we can not do anything until we can access the console “dev” module.

WordPress 5.1 works great in all accommodations, it is only the module “CornerStone” that causes a problem. If you try to edit a page with WP without this module, all works properly.

I advise you to do them by my notes hoping that this places them on a good track or they can tell us how to activate the console “DEV”.

J’espère que vous trouverez une solution.

Hi @zipe3,

The cornerstone only uses the functions provided by Wordpress when getting and setting data to the database. https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/update_post_meta and https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_post_meta/. So perhaps, the problem is between Wordpress and host environment which we as theme support can’t verify or confirm it.

Another possible reason is the ajax requests are being blocked so it’s not reaching the next step, which is saving it.

As for question, “Did the users of the module explain how to access this console?”, you may provide this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/wordpress-5-bug/49098/18

But I checked the console and this is still what I’m getting,

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

Would your hosting provider able to get the details of this error? That may point us in the right direction ::slight_smile:

And please update your Pro to 2.4.4. Let us know, we will be more happy to help to narrow down the search for this issue :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Here are the two answers from my host hoping that it can help you solve everything.

When I check the error in the explorer, the message is special (see picture).

As a general rule, an error message 500 stops at “handle the request”. In this case, if a Cornerstone message is added at the end of the message. I concluded that the module performed at least two AJAX request and returns all to the GUI.

**If one should only reproduce the AJAX command that causes the error and not the other. On my side, he does not have much that I can do. If the problem is really at the server level, it would not be possible to see the page “Astral Test” or “Sample Page”.

Another interesting detail to note when comparing a functional page versus a non-functional page.

In the browser debugger, for a functional page, the link we see is that of the page “astral-test /”, however, for non-functional pages, the link is only that of the directory of WordPress “wp”.

This could perhaps help them find the problem …

See image attached.

Hi @zipe3,

I edited the page Astral test and added some element and it works just fine. Same goes for the Sample Page, it works okay.

What’s not working is just the home page, any page assigned to the home page isn’t working and given that the builder works on other pages means it has no issues, but something on the home page is blocking it.

The reason he is seeing /wp/ is because it’s your site’s root URL, and root means it’s the home page.

I’ll continue checking but since we can’t get any details of the 500 Internal Error (even on error logs) then the search will be hard or mostly impossible. For now, I recommend cloning your site into staging (on separate host). I’m not saying moving it to another host, but it’s going to be helpful comparing the issue.

As for the creation of your site’s staging, it’s either use another hosting’s staging feature or create it manually, please check this https://pagely.com/blog/wordpress-staging-site-create/. But personally, this is how I do my staging:

I. Preparation

1. Decide to where you’ll install your Staging, it’s either sub-domain or sub-folder of another host
  2. Create a sub-domain or sub-folder in your site using your hosting’s CPanel/File Manager

a. https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/cpanel/cpanel-manage-domains/creating-a-subdomain
b. https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/2238

You may also check your hosting’s documentation in case they aren’t using CPanel/File Manager

1. Install Wordpress to your sub-domain or sub-folder (please check this https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress)

2. Once Wordpress is installed to your sub-domain or sub-folder then it’s now your staging, install All in one migration plugin to your staging

II. Cloning/Migration (assuming you already restored your site to when it’s still working - old verions)

1. Install All in one migration plugin to your main/live site (the working copy of your site)
  2. Export your live site as a file using that migration plugin ( https://help.servmask.com/knowledgebase/all-in-one-wp-migration-user-guide/ )
  3. Import the exported file to your staging using the same migration plugin

And you’re done, you have now a cloned copy of your site as staging. Then let us know and we’ll test it there too.

Thanks!