Woo Checkout Editor/AvaTax Conflict

Hey there,

First off, love the Pro theme! Thanks for all your hard work.

I’m using Avalara and their AvaTax plugin to calculate tax and validate customer addresses. I noticed two seemly separate issues but both were resolved after deactivating the Woo Checkout Editor. Here are the issues:

1. “Validate Address” button is nested under the “woocommerce-shipping-fields” container, which makes it inconvenient when someone doesn’t need to enter a separate shipping address. I have Avalara set up to require address validation, but since the button is nested under the shipping fields container, the customer cannot see the button unless they click on the checkbox for “Ship to a different address?” Many people don’t need to ship to a separate address, so this leads to some major confusion. Deactivating the Woo Checkout Editor moved the “Validate Address” button back to it’s proper location outside of that container.

2. In doing test orders yesterday, I realized that my order/tax details were not being pushed out of WordPress to my Avalara account. After deactivating the Woo Checkout Editor, this problem resolved and my order details now sync properly with Avalara.

Sorry for the two issues in one topic, but they seem to be coming from the same underlying problem. Right now, I have the plugin deactivated but would like to use it if possible.

Thank you!

Hi There @jviper32

Thanks for writing in! Your request is basically out of the scope of our support. Since both uses custom fields, it will need proper integration.

The checkout editor only maintains the original fields, and the fields added by it. Hence, other custom fields by other 3rd party plugins are positioned outside.

Thanks for understanding.

That’s not accurate.

Yes, by default AvaTax does create a custom field outside of the shipping fields, but activating Woo Checkout Editor moves that field without permission.

Also, he ability to send information to Avalara is broken by activating the Woo Checkout Editor without any other changes. That’s got to be a bug with your plugin.

I’ve already talked to the maintainer of the AvaTax add-on and they’re telling me it’s an issue with the Woo Checkout Editor.

Hello @jviper32,

Thanks for updating the thread.

We follow the coding guidelines shared by WooCommerce, so in ideal situations Woo Checkout Editor works absolutely fine. That being said, please share your website login details in secure note for us to take a closer look.

Please note that at this point of time I can’t confirm of any solutions as the problem is coming from a 3rd party plugin which we don’t have any control on it’s functioning. If I uncover any issue I can add this into our issue tracker.

Thanks.

Again, I don’t see how the problem is coming from a third party plugin if everything is working until I activate Woo Checkout Editor. Thanks for checking into it.

Hi @jviper32,

Sorry for the confusion, we’re not saying it’s caused by the 3rd party plugin, we’re only saying it’s 3rd party related in which we’re not capable or not familiar with that plugin. All we could do is add this to our issue tracker as this seems a conflict between them. Basically, check out editor added the fields as a loop, any added field outside the loop will, of course, pushed at the end. So maybe, what your plugin needs is to include in between the loop? This is integration related and there is no available workaround for now.

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, but let me make sure I’m fully understanding. Since both the developers of the AvaTax plugin and you, the developers of the Woo Checkout Editor, cannot identify the problem, I’ll need to modify the plugins myself to make it work?

Hey @jviper32,

Regretfully, yes. If you need both plugins to work now, you or a third party developer will need to fix it because investigating a plugin conflict would take time and we also could not promise or guarantee an official fix because some conflicts are not resolvable especially if there’s feature collision like in this case.

For this case, you will need to weigh-in what plugin is more important for your project. If AvaTax is important to you then you should find a similar plugin like Woo Checkout Editor and vice versa. We don’t have an alternative plugin recommendation though.

Thank you for understanding.

OK, I understand this would be a low priority item so it’s not a problem. Thanks for the explanation!

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.