When I try to access theme options, I get a spinning wheel and nothing loads. What do I need to do?

When I try to access theme options, I get a spinning wheel and nothing loads. What do I need to do? Someone asked for the credentials to the backend, which I sent in a secure note- I have not had a response.

Hello @bigpiccolo,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

I checked your website (got the login details from previous ticket you created). Upon updating the thread I am not sure why it went unanswered and didn’t came in the unresolved ticket list.

However, I checked your website and can confirm that Theme Options panel is not loading. I also tried to do some troubleshooting but that didn’t worked out. I see that you are using latest version of X Theme and Cornerstone. Did you upgraded from a old version of X and Cornerstone? Sometime data get corrupted while updating theme and plugin and that causes issues.

Please try to re-install X and Cornerstone manually and see how it goes. To do that please do following:

Just re install the theme manually. You will have to do the following:

1. Log in to your ftp.
  2. Browse to the /wp-content/themes/x/ folder
  3. Rename existing X Theme to folder from x to x_old
  4. Go to your dashboard (https://theme.co/apex/dashboard) and download the latest copy.
  5. Unzip the file and upload x folder to the themes folder /wp-content/themes/
  6. From Plugins > Installed Plugins deactivate and delete Cornerstone. After that visit X > Validation to automatically install Cornerstone.

See if doing so loads Theme Options panel.

Thanks.

Just followed the instructions. Still same result.

Hello @bigpiccolo,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Hmm, in that case can you please share FTP login details in secure note for us to take a more closer look?

Thanks.

made the change to the secure note with ftp credentials.

Hi @bigpiccolo

I couldn’t log in with these FTP credentials, could you please recheck them for us?

I recommend doing a plugin conflict test this can be done by deactivating other plugins other than Cornerstone, then recheck this issue if everything went alright, then you can re-enable the plugins one by one till you figure out the culprit.

Alternatively, you might want to use “Health Check” plugin and enable “Troubleshooting mode”. The good thing about “Heath Check” plugin is that it’s developed by WordPress team and it only affects your logged in session so that other visitors won’t be affected.

Thanks.

I reset the FTP access, see the secure note. Also if using FTP make sure it is using “plain FTP”, or unsecure. I have also installed the plugin, gone through the troubleshooting, and found nothing.

Hi There,

No, FTP credentials are still not working and please clarify what is the hostname.

Actually, the Cornerstone is affected on this issue as well.

I notice that you have a lot of plugins but you only have a memory of 256M, please contact your hosting support directly on how you can increase this, it seems adding the lines WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT on wp-config.php file will not work.

And have you also done a plugin conflict test? If not, please do so, you can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If you can not do this because you don’t want the site to have a downtime, please duplicate your site on a staging environment, so we can do further troubleshooting.

Let us know how it goes,

I have setup a staging environment. See the updated credentials in the secure note. Also, after I setup the staging, I disabled all of the plugin’s except cornerstone and still same results.

Hi @bigpiccolo,

Thank you for the information. I dug a little bit more in the staging environment and found out there is a 401: unauthorized error.

The unauthorized error can be caused by different factors which I will list here:

1. Please contact your hosting service provider and ask them to exude the theme options URL from the PHP security_mod settings. I added the link in the staging server case to the secure note.
  2. Make sure that you have read and write permission for all of your WordPress files. You can follow the recommendations here. I would also consult with my hosting service provider.
  3. This case is very rare but it might be caused by a problem in the database of your website in which there is no certain way to detect. For this case I suggest that you provide us the zip file of your database and website files, you can upload the files to a 3rd party file sharing service and add the link to a secure note. Then we will upload your website to a live server. If it works there then it is 100% something related to your hosting, if not then it is something related to your database.

Thank you.

None of this was correct. I was able to fix it by going back to an old backup from June before I upgraded X. Imported all new posts pages etc, and reinstalled updated version of x.

Hi There @bigpiccolo

Glad you were able to recover the site. It seems that your issue is related to the recent update. It could be that some files may have been corrupted or the update process may have been interrupted in the middle.

If you can setup a staging site with your current backup and test your updates, you should be able to isolate the issue further. You can refer to our migration guide here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-content-builder-migration/126).

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.