What would updating X do to my website?

Would updating my version of X change the appearance to my site? What would be the added features/benefits of updating to the March 8th update? Currently, to my knowledge, I’m using the version of X that came right before it.

Hello @jeremy4,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Updating the version of X Theme you are using won’t change the appearance of the website. There are multiple benefits of running latest version of X Theme and Cornerstone. First, you can to use the latest features and tools that in store. Second, each update brings bunch of bug fixes and usability improvements.

In X 6.0.0 (we launched few more updates primarily fixing bugs) we launched Template Manager, Global Blocks. Please take a look at following resources for more information:

https://theme.co/changelog/#theme-x-6-0-0

Thanks.

Hello @Prasant I went ahead and updated both X and Cornerstone to their latest versions. I did this before installing the X-Child Theme and ran into some problems. I have since installed the X-Child Theme, but I’d like to make sure I’m using it correctly. What should go into X-Child Theme’s Global CSS and Global JavaScript, and what should go into X > Theme Options > CSS and X > Theme Options > JavaScript ? Should the X > Theme Options remain empty and all changes be made in the Child Theme?

Hello @jeremy4,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

It’s totally up to you where you want to place CSS and JS codes. You can use X > Theme Options > CSS and X > Theme Options > JS to add CSS and JS codes. You also have the option to add CSS codes under Appearance > Editor > Style.css (child theme).

It’s a matter of personal preference. Personally I prefer to add all the CSS and Js codes under X > Theme Options > CSS and X > Theme Options > JS respectively.

Thanks.

Ok thanks @Prasant I will simply update in X > Theme Options > CSS and X > Theme Options > JS
But now I don’t understand the value of using the X Child Theme. If CSS and JavaScript updates are happening at the parent level they’ll all be inherited regardless, right?

Hey There,

We would recommend to use a child theme when what you are trying to accomplish requires a template customization. This allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released. If you are already using a child theme, you still need to update the parent theme. WordPress itself releases updates which would include bug fixes, patches, resolved vulnerability issues and may introduce new features and functions. It goes the same with the X theme. You can check out the changelog of what is included in the latest release from this link: https://theme.co/changelog/

Now, if you are wondering if your site would work or not with this new update, I would recommend that you create a staging site. This is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.