Weird Stuff with Headlines Vanishing on 2.5

In the Editor, often clicking on an existing headline or text element turns into a gray box (like when you’re placing the element somewhere). The only way to get it to show again is to reload the page. I’ve been able to replicate this 3 times in 5 mins. Does not occur on 2.4.x sites.

Hi Greg!

That’s very strange. This was one of our longer beta cycles and I’ve not encountered anything that sounds like what you’re describing. Could you help me with a bit more info on how to reproduce this?

Does it happen when you double click to inline edit? Or do you have to lift the element and try to move it? Also, in what browser are you seeing this occur?

Thanks!

• Windows 7, Latest Chrome
  • Opened existing page
  • Issue occurs frequently (40% of the time) when clicking on a headline or text element and when the element was created (prior to 2.5 or after) doesn’t make a difference.
  • Page in which the issue occurs has new nested rows, but elements do not have to be in a nested to exhibit the issue.
  • Occurs with just a single click (i.e.highlight the element).

I know you said the beta cycle was long but glaring obvious bugs are very common with new Pro releases to the point where I expect them and can routinely find major bugs on a new release within a few minutes of using it. No way to say this nicely - your beta team is pretty awful at the process of actually finding bugs. And that’s for common uses, not edge cases. So don’t feel bad, internally we call any new major Pro release “the real beta” and it generally lives up to that. We thought for sure the new nested rows were going to be the buggy area with this release, but those have been surprisingly solid so far.

I’d send you a video of this happening as it’s easily repeatable but your Support forum doesn’t support video uploads.

Hi @co50,

I myself can’t reproduce the issue as described, but I’m able to picture the issue you’re referring and it seems it’s stuck on drag an drop mode. It happened on my end before (old version of the builder) when my mouse has click issue but I’m not saying it’s the same on your case. It’s best if we can test it directly from your site, may I know the site’s URL and admin login credentials? Please provide them in the secure note and we’ll check.

Thanks!

Hi Greg,

Thanks for clarifying. I still can’t reproduce this. As Rad pointed out it would help to see it on your site if possible. We don’t allow video uploads since they can get rather large but feel free to upload anywhere else and share a link if you do have a video.

Could you also check one more thing for me? Open the developer tools of your browser and then try to click something. Let me know if you see any errors show up in the console. Thanks!

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to check back in after the weekend. Whenever you have time, let me know on the above if you’re still having this issue.

Doing some more extensive testing, this may or may not relate to a memory leak or some symptom that causes it to happen after you’ve been working in Pro for a little bit. It does not seem to happen when you first open Pro editor for the first time. It begins occurring after 5-10 minutes, and occurs about 75% of the time when double clicking an item to inline edit (though it has happened numerous times on single clicks too), and I should note we are not clicking-moving the element which we know on all versions of Pro can leave the element in an in-between state and produces the same gray box with hash lines.

The issue we found occurs most often on Headline elements.

We left the Console open and no errors appear when this bug happens.

We’ve also found that moving the perma-stuck element to another part of the page and then moving it back restores its visibility. So yes, this has to someway be related to the Pro editor thinking the element is being moved and not realizing a) it has not been moved OR b) the mouse click has released.

Thanks Greg,

I’ll do some more testing. If you did happen to have a site we could try it on that would be helpful as well. The release has been out a week now and I’ve not heard anyone mention it so it could still be something specific to your site. If you’re seeing it on multiple sites perhaps it’s a browser extension causing a conflict. Trying another browser or using chrome incognito might help confirm this.

Hi Alexander,

This bug drove me crazy today. :slight_smile:

I hardly could done anything. Hope you will pinpoint it soon. :thumbsup:

Here is the video:

Firefox and Chrome, Windows 10, Touch Enabled laptop.

Thanks!

Misho’s video accurately replicates the issue we experience.

1 Like

Greg, are you using a touch enabled device as well?

No, I’m on Windows 7 desktop PC, 4k display, latest Chrome browser, WP Rocket installed.

Hi There @co50 & @Misho

Personally, I could not experience this issue as well on my test site. However I have submitted this issue to our issue tracker, so that we can ask other support team members to see if they can reproduce the issue on their end.

Will update the thread once we have more information.

Thanks!

This is similar to the old bug, when we have slightly touched the element and it would jump to the next container. Now it stays in the same but disappears.

The only way to work right now is to put the mouse in a perfect still and only then to click the element to select it. If there is a slight movement of the element, it instantly disappears.

Hey guys,

I have somehow replicated the issue you described. I add it to the report.

Please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks.

I would like to resolve this too. Its driving me crazy. I am working on TEXT element. It simply disappears when trying to edit it. It can still be edited in the edit box, but does not sho up on the edit screen as lie changes, it is simply not there, meaning we have to mess around with text, make live, go back in, make live etc etc. Hugely frustrating. X used to be great now I hate when I have to work on an X project.

Hey @thumbza,

We’re sorry to hear you’re having a hard time also. Please try not to move the element when you click on it for now. See https://vimeo.com/323400149

May we also ask that you visit http://supportally.com/ and post all the details here including the Advanced Browser Details? This will give us an idea as to what features are available in your browser.

Thanks.

Here is my SupportAlly data:

Operating System 	Windows 10 64-bit
Browser 	Firefox 65.0
Flash Version 	0.0.0
Cookies Enabled 	Yes
IP Address 	77.217.224.170
Browser Size 	1922 x 985
Screen Size 	1920 x 1080
JavaScript Enabled 	Yes

We've detected the following advanced browser details and available browser features.
CORS Support 	Yes
Context Menu 	Yes
Asynchronous Requests 	Yes
CSS 3D Transform 	Yes
CSS Transform 	Yes
CSS Transition 	Yes
Geo Location API 	Yes
Browser History API 	Yes
Input Placeholders 	Yes
remUnit 	Yes
Service Worker API 	No
Sizes 	Yes
Browser Events 	Yes
Canvas 	Yes
CSS Class List 	Yes
Defer 	Yes
Device Motion 	Yes
Device Orientation 	Yes
Local Storage 	Yes
MatchMedia API 	Yes
Picture Element 	Yes
srcset 	Yes
SVG 	Yes
Touch Support 	Yes
Viewport Unit 	Yes

Thanks!

Thanks for the details, Misho. I’ve forwarded this to Alex.