Weird stuff after moving site from staging site (subdomain) to the main domain

I just moved my site from the staging site to the main domain, and now when I try to edit the home page, it only shows the top slider and the footer, without all the sections/rows of content in between. If I pull the site up (atomicchurch.com) it shows about 60% of the content of those middle rows that are not seen in the editor view. The cornerstone editor does not show any of those sections to be edited (it says “add a section to get started”). I was staging on dev.atomicchurch.com and now am live on atomicchurch.com. I am not sure what happened… but I need to get access to be able to edit the front page.

Hi There,

We have an article about the migration:

If it doesn’t help, please try installing the Better Search Replace plugin:

Then search all the dev.atomicchurch.com URL and replace with atomicchurch.com URL.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

I built the staging site (dev.atomicchuch.com) on the new version of Cornerstone, the existing site (atomic church.com) was built on the earlier version of xTheme (pre-version 4.0). Since I’m just moving over the newly created version (from the latest version of xTheme/Cornerstone), shouldn’t that override anything from the exiting site? I followed a guide here: https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-properly-move-wordpress-from-subdomain-to-root-domain/ .

I need to get the site up and running how I had it on the staging site. Do you recommend restoring from a full Cpanel backup (that I have on my computer)? I am not too advanced in all this, so I am just trying to get pointed in the right direction so I know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Kyle,

Please correct me if I’m wrong but the way I understand your description is you migrated the data of the new version of Cornerstone from your staging site to your old site which uses old versions of X and Cornerstone.

It’s generally not recommended to migrate data between different software versions especially versions that are very far from each other because there may be new features or changes added in between that makes versions not compatible.

For this case, I’d recommend that you delete the WordPress install in your live site and completely copy your staging site to your live site. Please check the article posted by Thai for guidance.

Thanks.

Hi Christian. Thanks for your reply. I went back to a full cpanel restore from before I had initially tried the migration, and then like you recommended, I deleted the wordpress install on the live site, and then copied the staging site over based on the article you guys referenced. Then in settings I changed the site url from dev.atomicchurch.com to atomicchurch.com. On the Migrate DB options, it made me select either/or Export File or Find & Replace. So I am not sure if the find and replace ran or needs to run still? (I only did the export option). Just trying to figure out if my site is good to go now or what?? I also can’t access the wp admin area for dev.atomicchurch.com now… it redirects to atomicchurch.com.

Hello @KyleMac,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Those are two different options. My recommendation would be after importing the DB on target website then you can run the Find and Replace option. If the website is redirecting then probably the URL has been changed under Settings > General. As of you are not able to access the URL and then you can hard code the URLs in wp-config.php file and see how it goes. Please take a look at following article to hardcode the URLs. You will need FTP softwares like Filezilla to make the necessary changes.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

In case you have any issues, please share the WordPress admin and FTP details in secure note for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.