Visual Composer / WPBakery / old build vs new build

Hey There!

Here is the website im working on: www.detroitresearch.org

The website is for an art journal which has 2 current volumes and a third on the way.

The Volume 1 section of the website was the first to launch and was built before theme X worked with cornerstone. It was first constructed with whatever platform came before (I think it was called visual bakery or something like that).

By the time volume two came around Theme X has switched to cornerstone and I built the volume 2 section of the website with cornerstone.

Sometime in the last few months, anything I built with the older framework has broken. All of the background images are gone, none of the essential grids work and other issues.

This is the volume one page that I originally build with visual bakery: https://www.detroitresearch.org/vol1/

currently you must be logged in to view the page.

My question is this: is there a way to fix this that doesn’t involve rebuilding all the content from scratch in cornerstone?

thank you!

Hi @lifeinthecave,

Thanks for reaching out.

Cornerstone and Visual Composer are different builders and you can’t port each content to one another. It will always require rebuilding. But it’s not mandatory to rebuild your content to the cornerstone, you can still use visual composer. The only downside with that is you’ll not able to utilize new features provided by cornerstone since Visual Composer is only limited to X Legacy integration (old elements).

With that, it should always work as long as you’re only utilizing the legacy elements within Visual Composer.

And if you’re referring to cornerstone content issue (from old to new), it’s probably related to classic elements versus v2 elements. The v2 elements are new elements with many features but it’s still not mandatory, your content created from classic elements should still work, and you’re still free to create it from classic elements.

Sometime in the last few months, anything I built with the older framework has broken. All of the background images are gone, none of the essential grids work and other issues.

There are similar issues and due to caches or libraries aren’t loaded. Re-adding them within classic text element should fix it. You can also check in Admin > X > Settings > Permissions > Macros if you wish to enforce specific type of elements for the current role.

But yes, it’s unavoidable to ever-evolving features especially if there is a big gap between your old version and the new version. There is added backward-compatibility for older version but later removed or deprecated to prevent bloat so it’s advisable to update it regularly than jumping from very old versions and newer.

In your case, it’s due to malformed HTML/content. Example, this is your added content

<h6 style="text-align: center;"><strong><span style="color: #ffffff;">$35</span></strong>
<strong><span style="color: #ffffff;"> $25 / Student &amp; Low Income</span></strong>
<strong><span style="color: #ffffff;"> + Shipping</span></strong></h6>
<p style="text-align: center;">

As you can see, there is opening <p style="text-align: center;">, but no closing </p>. And it should be like this

<h6 style="text-align: center;"><strong><span style="color: #ffffff;">$35</span></strong>
<strong><span style="color: #ffffff;"> $25 / Student &amp; Low Income</span></strong>
<strong><span style="color: #ffffff;"> + Shipping</span></strong></h6>

Another sample are elements that aren’t properly nested or without the proper open element, example

[highlight type="dark"]<span style="color: #ffffff;">FOR KNIGHT MATCHING FUND</a></span>[/highlight]</strong></h6>

It should be like this

[highlight type="dark"]<span style="color: #ffffff;">FOR KNIGHT MATCHING FUND</span>[/highlight]

There is no <a>, <strong>, and <h6> so there should be no closing element like </a>, </strong>, and </h6>.

I see a lot of them, I recommend fixing them manually as the builder will not able to fix it. You can edit your elements without the preview by clicking the skeleton mode.

Thanks!

thank you! this was very helpful! I was able to get the site working.

However - new issue - Last night I installed the woocommerce plugin. Upon installing and activating all of the backend pro content doesn’t load. Going to edit page -> pro = results in blank white page, same for the customizer, same for theme settings. If I remove woocommerse - it all loads fine. I have several other sites using woocommwerse with theme x and no issues. Can you take a look and see where the conflict is coming from?

Edit: After going through the plugin using SFTP (did this twice to double check) - the issue isn’t happening when I remove woocommerce OR when I remove BOTH Essential Grid and Revolution Slider. So I think the issue is probably a conflict between themepunch and woocommerce, but still I use all three of these on other sites with no issue.

thanks!

Hi @lifeinthecave,

We try our best to dedicate each thread to a separate issue. That does help other customers to find the problems better and also it helps us to get things in order and avoid the confusion.

So I will appreciate if you open up a separate thread for the issue of the Woocommerce.

The only thing that I want to make sure that you follow is that you back up the website and make sure you use the latest version of the Pro theme and that you Do Not have the Cornerstone plugin installed. As you use the Pro theme and it does not need that plugin.

Kindly follow up the case in the new thread. Thank you.

@christopher.amirian sure thing! thanks!

Thank you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.