Visual Composer broke my websites after update

Hi,

we have several websites built between spring 2016 and summer 2017, including our own site, all of which utilize WP Bakery Visual Composer. After the latest update few strange things happened, but we tried to solve it by looking at this forum and acted according to the guides:

• Update X
  • Update Visual Composer + Cornerstone
  • Legacy X Integration checked

Our own website seems ok from the front end now, but once we try to edit the site, we see this:

• First of all, it seems that many individual building blocks were integrated into ONE INCREDIBLY LONG BLOCK (text field), which makes further edits almost not possible (text, gaps, lines, icon list, iframes… all in one text block)
  • Secondly we see many shortcodes, which were not displayed before, like TEXT_OUTPUT, CUSTOM_HEADLINE which are not translated into any graphical interface for the user
  • Last but not least, we discovered many empty rows randomly placed at the end of some pages - not a big deal but we certainly don’t want to go trough hundreds of individual pages to see if everything is ok

So, what should we do?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @nezzazvoni,

Please go to WPBakery Page Builder Settings > General and make sure “Legacy X Integration” is enabled. A common request we get is to not overwrite parts of the WPBakery Page Builder. We are committed to keep supporting sites from the early days of X where Visual Composer was our page builder but we’ve consolidated all that integration code under one setting. It used to be enabled by default, but you will now need to opt-in to using it.

If the issue persists, please double check that you have have updated X to the latest version. Also, remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors or any unexpected display issue on the site.

In case the issue persists, please provide us with the admin access to your site in a Secure Note (key icon under the replies you post/posted):

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry but did you read my request? I am writing you because we are experiencing issues DESPITE of the fact we have that option enabled.

Hello @nezzazvoni,

Apologies for the confusion here.

I would like to take a more closer look at your website setup. Can you please share website login details in secure note for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

Hey @nezzazvoni,

We could not login to your site due to IP restriction.

Did you edit and saved the page right after the update? What could have happened here was when the Legacy X Integration was disabled during the update, the Native Visual Composer took over the content and wrapped it in its own Text element like when you convert a Classic Text Content to Visual Composer Content.

Please switch to the Classic Mode and remove this shortcode: [vc_column_text][/vc_column_text] wrapping the content. You can see the replication of the issue at https://youtu.be/ur6pO1YrykQ

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

this seems to have a great impact!

Everything seemed to be fine, but then we tried to edit one text block with SlideShare presentation in it (embedded via iframe). Once we removed the iframe, everything below this text block was immediately deleted. Is there any possible connection to the Visual Composer issues we solved earlier, or is this something else entirely?

Thanks!

Hi @nezzazvoni,

Glad it’s okay now, but about the next issue, I can’t reproduce it on my installation. Would you mind providing a video recording? So I could try it exactly as you did.

Thanks!

Sure thing: https://youtu.be/VDeumnTJ-zA

As I mentioned above - once we make any changes in the text block, which is occupied by the SlideShare embed code, everything below this block disappear…

Hi @nezzazvoni,

Ah, the front-end builder. I like to try it but I can’t still log in to your site. Looks like access from other countries is being blocked.

There are no reported bugs similar to this and I can’t reproduce it on my installation (front-end builder’s editing) so I like to check it directly from your page.

Thanks!

It should be accessible from other countries now, thanks.

Hi There,

Upon checking your website, I could see there are some error message in Console Log:

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN(ex: CloudFlare), please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services. For the CloudFlare you also need to follow the steps below besides the developer mode: https://xthemetips.com/using-cloudflare-rocket-loader-with-x-pro-and-x5/928/1
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Switch to the parent theme to check if the issue persists.
  7. Turn off all the cache plugins.

Let us know how it goes!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.