Video's stopped working (video short codes, Pro video player)

Hi there,

We found that our videos had stopped working late last week unexpectedly.

We have a site that was built in X shortcodes, we have upgraded to Pro recently and now making new pages in the built in cornerstone. However have a mix of shortcode made pages and Pro made apges. These are the videos that broke:

1. Shortcode page: Content band video background, video hosted on Amazon
  2. Shortcode page: Self hosted video, using x theme video player shortcode
  3. Pro built page using video player with a youtube link

All 3 of these stopped working on the site with no explainable reason. Somehow by putting this css in we can get the Pro built video player videos back;

.mejs-container {
height: 100%;
}

What is causing this issue? url’s included in a secure note

Hey @lifehouseglobal,

The video background is working fine in my test sites so there could be a difference between your setup and mine. What WordPress version are you using? Please try updating to the latest version of WordPress.

In the page that isn’t working, I see a JS error coming from WordPress which is related the new Autoplay Policy of Google Chrome.

If that does not help, please give us WordPress Admin credentials in a Secure Note so we could replicate your setup and see if there’s a bug.

Thanks.

Hi Christian thanks for getting back to me.

Perhaps there is something in the setup. But for some reason the video background of the content band done in shortcodes stopped working along with the youtube videos pasted into the Pro theme video player. After putting in the css I mentioned it resolved both of those.

Regarding the error about auto play, I tried changing that video in the short code not to auto play and still not showing up. I have been up able to rebuild the page in Pro and put the video now. But I’m concerned that I have to put in css to make it work and if that’s going to change again in the future and our videos break.

I’ll send you credentials in a private note, if you could look at it, it would be much appreciated,

Thanks

You’re using WordPress’ Video shortcode. I tested X Video Shortcode but my previous test was wrong. I loaded the page while logged in so the video autoplayed and it’s not covered by Chrome’s Autoplay policy. Sorry about that. I viewed my page in incognito mode and both WordPress and X Video Shortcode won’t autoplay.

Please note though that this change did not come from us. It is Chrome browser that changed and there’s no way to get around it. We should also respect the new policy especially that a lot of users are annoyed at autoplaying videos with sound. The policy actually allows autoplay provided that you mute your video. This is the shortcode attribute to mute the video: muted="true". I’ve tested a muted video and it works.

Thank you for understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.