Using X Theme. Updated to Essential Grid 2.3 which now doesn't work

I’ve been using X Theme (with a child theme) for several years. I have also been using Essential Grid, which was bundled with X Theme, for the same period of time. They have both worked together flawlessly since 2015, with Essential Grid providing the news items on our site’s front page.

I updated Essential Grid this morning to version 2.3 and it now doesn’t work at all:

1. The grid items don’t display at all on the front page
  2. The Dashboard for X Theme shows the settings for Essential Grid on the left side of the page, but the place where the Essential Grid items used to display (i.e. where I created new items and edited old items) has disappeared.

I’m using version 6.3.8 of X Theme (the latest, I think) and version 2.3 of Essential Grid. Nothing else on the website has changed recently except for an update to WooCommerce.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Stephen Yeo
Finchley Society

Hey Stephen,

I see a Google Maps API issue in the console and that can disrupt JavaScript dependent features of a website like the Essential Grid display. The issue is coming from UberMenu.

Please go to Appearance > UberMenu > General Settings > Assets > Google Maps and uncheck the Load Google Maps API

Regarding your 2nd question, would you mind providing more details or screenshot of what you’re referring to?

Please also try switching to the parent theme and testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Thanks.

Thanks very much for the prompt response. Unfortunately neither of the changes you suggested make any difference:

1. I turned off the Maps API
  2. I switched off all the plugins except Essential Grid.

The grid still does not display at all on my home page: it’s just a big empty space. In addition, in the Dashboard the left hand side menu option to access the Essential Grid posts has disappeared. You can still access the Essential Grid settings, but not the posts that the grid displays.

I’ve tried uploading screenshots of the Dashboard, but as a new user, I am apparently allowed only one screenshopt per message. So I’ve attached the before screenshot. The item Ess Grid Example Posts is the menu item that disappears.

Hi Stephen,

The Essential Grid on your homepage shows up on my end (see screenshot below), please clear all your caching plugins and your browser’s cache.

Clear all caches

Sorry, but we are not entirely certain about that issue, please provide us login credentials in a Secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Sorry, I restored an earlier version of the site because the front page was completely broken.

If you have time to look it it, I will reinstall the latest version of Essential Grid (which seems to be what is causing the problems) and send you login details in a Secure Note.

Thanks for your help with this.

Hey @FinchleySociety,

I had to enable JS to Footer in Essential Grid > Global Settings for the grid to display. Please try doing this in your live site.

This means that besides the Google Maps JS that I suspected previously, there’s still a script conflicting with the normal loading of the grid. This is why there is the “JS to Footer” option because the developers is aware of such cases.

Thanks.

It how seems to be working properly.

Thanks very much indeed for your prompt and efficient assistance.

Stephen Yeo
Finchley Society

Glad we were able to help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.