Using the preset in section

hello guys
I need to ask you how should go about this message. As

as you can see from the screen shot it says this action will replace all element in styling.
does it mean that it’s going to delete everything in the post, or only whatever is in that section?
I don’t want to delete everything, just add the author section in that specific section.

thanks for your help :slight_smile:
isabella

Hi There,

The message is mean to say that if the preset having any content before then it will replace the section content only where you are applying, even the style of the particular section. It will not affect other section.

Hope this clear.

Thanks

@basanta thank you so much!
very clear but I am not sure I am using it properly.
See this example.

example 1) featured list the blue one is the preset and the other one is the result when I used the preset. it does’t download the same set up. is that the way is supposed to be?

example 2) author in the blue one is the preset the other one is the way it came out using the preset feature. Same thing. is it correct? shouldn’t it be exactly the same?

thanks a lot
regards
Isabella

Hi Isa,

There is a concept of preset which you can use. First, you need to add a template which you want to have as a present for the element in question. Then save it. After that go to X > Templates and click on the settings icon at the bottom left section of the screen:

After that, a pop up will show which lists all the elements, search for the element in question and select the template you want to be as the default template for that element and then save:

From now on, as soon as you add the element in question in Cornerstone you will have the settings of the template in question loaded as default.

Thank you.

hello @christopher.amirian thanks a lot for the explanation.
There is something it’s not quite clear though.
when I enter in the template manager I have these “presets” in the screen shots
is that correct?
but when I click on setting, and I have that pop up with all the elements I cannot insertar the author one in the classic author, It doesn’t appear in the options.

also when I try to use the featured lists one in the article , it doesn’t work :frowning:

I am sending all the screen shots to show you…

thanks for your help
cheers :slight_smile:

Hi again
I have also tried to save the template which was saved as “content” but still it doesn’t show in the settings…
I am not sure what I am missing :frowning:
thanks a lot for your help
cheers

Hi Isabella,

Sorry for the confusions, actually we are kind of confused too, so let me clarify things base on your screenshots.

But first please understand the types of templates

• Preset Templates – all control settings for an individual v2 Element
  • Content Templates – all layout and element information for page content (can be saved as an individual section or multiple sections)
  • Header Templates – Pro only, saves all header information including bars, containers, elements used, and their respective settings
  • Footer Templates – Pro only, saves all footer information including bars, containers, elements used, and their respective settings

Preset, just think about it as a styling of an element that you saved, so you can apply it to another element (but same type). Meaning If you saved a preset of a V2 Button element, then you can only apply that preset to the V2 element as well.

Example, I did create a cool button, and I want all my buttons to look like this.

What I will do is save that as a preset, so I can apply it to the other buttons on my site later. You can also make that as the default styling of your buttons everytime you add a new button. (see Christopher’s instructions above)

Content Templates, there are times that you have a section or two that you want to duplicate to your other pages, right? This is where the Content Templates you can utilize, because it will not only save the styling of that section but it also saved all the elements of that section, make sense? Think of a Call to Action section that you want to be on multiple pages/posts throughout the site.

Keep in mind that when you add Content Templates on your page, you load it, not apply like preset.

<br/ >

Header Templates and Footer Templates are self-explanatory but you won’t have this, because this is only available to PRO, not X.

Now, let’s go back to your original issues,

that message means whatever styling you have in that section, will be overwritten with the styling of the preset. Actually what you have is a flaw, Section should be save as a Content Template, not preset (unless you only want the section styling and not the elements inside it)

It’s sure that author element’s background-color and border is applied as custom CSS, so that will not be saved as preset. Only whats in the Author element configuration. If you want that styling to be applied on your other author element, please declare that styling as a CLASS on the Theme Options > CSS, and then apply that CLASS on your author elements.

Not sure, but more likely its the same issue with the author element. The styling of this Feature List is via custom CSS, that is why it was not included on the (_index_) preset.

If you look at the Type column, you’ll see Preset: Section that means that preset is for Section, not for Author element. It became confusing because you named it as author.

With this in mind now, please re-save all your Preset and Content template and try to apply it again.

Hope this shed some lights,
Cheers!

Hello @friech !
thanks a lot for the explanations.
I understood a little more but not quite yet.
what 's the v2 element?

Your example of the button is exactly what I did with author and featured list but it didn’t work.
and the author didn’t show as an option in the pop up of the settings.

you mentioned that I used CSS custom but only for the featured list not the author.

I have the feeling that if I create a new post and before writing anything I upload the template it will show as it is. But if I add the template in an already existing post it will override all the post content. this is why I wanted to use the preset for the 2 elements. Feature list and author, because I will always use the same.

when you say

so what can I do about it ? how can I have the featured list as preset, if there is some custom CSS in it?

thank you so much for your help
I am sorry if I can explain myself well… it’s a but tricky…

Hey There,

Thanks for updating in!

v2 elements are the new elements with the advanced settings. This is only the elements where you can save and apply a presets.

A preset can be saved and applied to an element. Each time you save a preset, it will be saved as a preset for the element. You may apply the preset to other element but that does not guarantee you will get the same result because for example, if you have a button and saved its settings as a preset, you can use the preset to style another button. You may not use it to style section since it is a button preset.

Feature list consist of feature items. If you have save a preset for this, you may apply a preset as well. But that does not mean that a button preset can be applied to this element. Just as a feature list preset, if you have saved one, can be applied to an author preset because there are two separate element.

so what can I do about it ? how can I have the featured list as preset, if there is some custom CSS in it?

• You must do the changes for your feature list within the feature list settings like the colors, font size, margins, paddings, borders, etc. Once you have it, you may save it as a preset so that you can apply to another feature list on the page or in another page.

Hope this helps.

Hello @RueNel
thanks for explaining it further. but this is what I have done and it doesn’t work.
I understood about the author preset because te author is only as a classic element there is no advanced option. So I understand I cannot apply the preset on the author element.
But the feature list is the new advanced element and I have saved the preset but it does not work . here attached a screen shot.
Also I have noticed that the Author has been saved as a preset of the section, whereas the featured list is a preset of the element . but still… I am so confunde that I cannot explain my self well probably…

I tried and if I start an article from scratch I can upload the 2 sections I am interested in (índex and author) and then continue with the other sections.

However there must be a way to insert the 2 sections in already written articles?
that’s my original question.
I do apologize for any confusion. I hope I have been more clear now. sorry
and thanks a lot

(the last screenshot is how I have insertes the 2 section in a new article uploading the template. )

Hi Isabella,

The Classic Author element has no background-color and border option, so more likely that background-color and border were applied via custom CSS, we need to see where is that custom CSS coming from and write it as a CLASS so you can apply it to another author element.

That might be how the template works before, but with the new Template Manager mechanics, loading a Content Template to an existing page/post does not overwrite your content, but insert the Content Template.

Like I said above, you can saved your Featured List as preset, however, if you have a custom CSS applied on it, it won’t be included as preset, so we need to write that custom CSS as a CLASS and apply that CLASS to your Featured List element.

If you write your custom CSS as CLASS and you have that CLASS on the Featured List element that you saved as preset, then that will work.

We need to see how your custom CSS has written, It could be written to apply only on a specific post, that is why it is not affecting the other posts even if you use the same preset.

You can not apply the author preset to Author element that is because that preset is for Section. see the following screenshot and notice the area I underlined with red.

That preset is for sections, not for author element, it becomes confusing because you named it as author, whereas if you named it as my author section or something descriptive.

Save your 2 sections as Content Template and load it to your article, it should not overwrite your existing content, but insert the 2 sections.

If you insert the 2 sections and it does not have the same styling as the original, then read my answer above regarding writing the custom CSS as a CLASS.

If you don’t mind please provide us login credentials and the posts involve (in a secure note) so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

No, I haven’t done any custom CSS I had used the section and column features to make the blue background and border

But since there is no more overwriting when I load a template I am using it and it works perfectly
thank you so much for all your help
cheers
isabella

Hey Isabella,

You’re welcome!
Thanks for letting us know that it has worked for you.

Best Regards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.