Using Buddypress with X theme

Hello,

I installed the Buddypress plugin with my X theme website. It seems that the X theme won’t allow me to edit the styles for any pages that Buddypress is using, or even change the sidebar. Same for another plugin I am using to build courses, LearnDash. Why is the X theme not allowing for any customization of pages that are being used by these plugins? What do I need to do to be able to change sidebars, add a Revolution slider to the header, etc.?

Unfortunately for this install I do not have access to the functions.php file or any other files on the server. I would like to avoid adding a lot of other plugins to add sidebars, etc.

Ho @JoannaC,

Our theme does not have any specific option to change the layout of the BuddyPress pages. It supports the BuddyPress plugin in the sense that it shows correctly style-wise.

If you want to have a specific design that is different than the overall site layout for the BuddyPress plugin you need to add custom code.

The customization is outside of our support scope, but you can start by installing the Child Theme and determine if the BuddyPress page is loaded in functions.php using the BuddyPress specific template tags:
https://codex.buddypress.org/developer/template-tag-reference/

Thank you.

Thanks but I already have a child theme, so that isn’t an issue. Although I asked about Buddypress, X theme does not have options for editing pages it creates for category, archive, tag, search results, or plugins that adopt the X theme basic style. I have no way to change the sidebar from what displays for the blog on any of these other pages. I also can’t add below the masthead images on these pages either. These are the two main obstacles of the X theme.

Hello Joanna,

Thanks for writing in!

By default, you can tweak the Buddypress and any related pages by going to X > Theme Options > BuddyPress. If your BuddyPress pages have a sidebar, you can assign the widgets in Appearance > Widgets.

And in case you would want to add a slider to the BuddyPress pages, please edit the page and then assign your slider by going to the Page Settings: Slider Settings Above Masthead or in Slider Settings Below Masthead. For more details, please check this out:

Most of the BuddyPress pages cannot be edited with the editor because BuddyPress will generate the content for that page.Any content you will add will just be discarded and replace with BuddyPress contents. To know how we have integrated BuddyPress into the theme, please check this out:

Hello, I already know how to assign sidebars and sliders on pages. This is not the issue. I cannot assign a sidebar to Buddypress pages or get rid of the main sidebar on search results pages, or any other page generated by the theme. I also cannot add a header image on these pages. I want to be able to do this. What are your suggestions besides editing server files?

Hello Joanna,

As what @Christopher has pointed, we do not have any option for the BuddyPress pages. You will need to do customizations to be able to insert a custom banner or a slider into the pages.

As for your search results, you can get rid of the sidebar by setting the global content layout as “Fullwidth”. Normally, the search page and other pages is following the global settings. Once you set the global content layout in X > Theme Options > Layout And Design > Content Layout to “Fullwidth”, those pages will no longer display a sidebar.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.