Use of the Portfolio Feature

Hi Guys.

Just want to run an idea past you to see if Im on the right track, and maybe even tweak it a bit.

Here’s what I’m looking at doing. Got a website (and business) that has a few testimonials, and intend to collect lots more into the future.

I’m thinking of using the portfolio function to accomplsh this, mainly because I (think I can) add specific categories and tags that will enable me to feature one lot on the home page (lets call them spotlight testimonials), another batch on a separate page (say, organisational testimonials), and show them all on the main portfolio page (which I have already created using the Layout-Portfolio template).

These are the pages where specific types of testimonials will be shown:
http://oolaaustralia.com/
http://oolaaustralia.com/speaking/

The only thing I don’t quite know how is to have them show on each of the pages noted (i.e. what element is used).

Also, this way, I can put a small amount of text with a picture of someone. I also want to standardise the way they are displayed.

Also, while you’re at it -

• how do I remove the author name from the portfolio post?
  • it seems that these cant be edited in cornerstone; how can one change the font parametres so it matches what I’ve done in other blog posts?
  • Allow an excerpt to be shown on the portfolio page for each item?
  • control the size of the image displayed on the portfolio page?

Thanks heaps.

Hello @mmartion,

Thanks for writing in!

1.) To remove the author name from the portfolio post, please add the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

.p-meta span:first-child,
.p-meta span:nth-child(1) {
    display: none;
}

2.) The fonts of the portfolio meta and the rest of the portfolio contents were coming from the global settings. Please go to X > Theme Options > Typography > Body and Content to select font. You may enable the font manager and use the font manager if you would like to insert or select which font do you want to use. To know more about the font manager, please check this out:

3.) Before you can allow the excerpt to be displayed, what you are trying to accomplish requires a template customization, we would highly to suggest that you use a child theme. This allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released.

Once you have your child theme active and ready, please follow these steps below:
1] Using Notepad or TextEdit or Sublime Text or any text editor, please create a new file in your local machine.
2] Insert the following code into that new file

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/INTEGRITY/CONTENT-PORTFOLIO.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Portfolio post output for Integrity.
// =============================================================================

$archive_share = x_get_option( 'x_integrity_portfolio_archive_post_sharing_enable' );

?>

<article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
  <div class="entry-featured">
    <?php x_portfolio_item_featured_content(); ?>
  </div>
  <div class="entry-wrap cf">

<?php if ( x_is_portfolio_item() ) : ?>

<div class="entry-info">
        <header class="entry-header">
          <h1 class="entry-title entry-title-portfolio"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>
          <?php x_integrity_entry_meta(); ?>
        </header>
        <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_content', 'the-content' ); ?>
      </div>
      <div class="entry-extra">
        <?php x_portfolio_item_tags(); ?>
        <?php x_portfolio_item_project_link(); ?>
        <?php x_portfolio_item_social(); ?>
      </div>

<?php else : ?>

<header class="entry-header">
        <h2 class="entry-title entry-title-portfolio">
          <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php echo esc_attr( sprintf( __( 'Permalink to: "%s"', '__x__' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ) ); ?>"><?php x_the_alternate_title(); ?></a>
        </h2>
        <?php if ( $archive_share == '1' ) : ?>
          <?php x_portfolio_item_social(); ?>
        <?php endif; ?>
      </header>

<div class="x-content excerpt">
        <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_content', 'the-excerpt' ); ?>
      </div>

<?php endif; ?>

</div>
</article>

3] Save the file named as content-portfolio.php
4] Upload this file to your server in the child theme’s folder wp-content/themes/x-child/framework/views/integrity/

You will need to create the folder path since it does not exist n your child theme yet.

4.) What do you want to do with the portfolio featured image in the portfolio page? How to you want it to be control? You want to make it smaller or bigger?

Just to manage your expectations, this isn’t specifically a theme issue, but rather, your customisation of it. So whilst I have happily provided you with some guidance above on how to get it working, we cannot provide theme customisation as a general rule, or support custom code solutions provided. Therefore, you might find it helpful to check out the following:

CSS Selector Reference
How to find the css selector in chrome

Best Regards.

Hi there.

Thanks for the info.

I have added the CSS code and it works great thanks. However … I have been doing some more reading and research.
I starting thinking the way to show specific portfolio items on specific pages was via custom categories using a slider carousel on each page. Ok, so far so good.

But … it now seems that the slider revolution carousel only works with Ethos (I’m running Integrity). Either a static 3 or perhaps more rotating with 3 showing at any 1 time.

Is there another way to acheive this outcome (without changing stack)

Thnaks.

Hi @mmartion,

Sorry but the Portfolio posts don’t have those features, and it’s not design for Testimonials. Instead please test the top Testimonial Plugins for Wordpress and see which suits your needs.

Thank you for understanding,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.