Usage of Portfolio-Items

Hello everyone,

I tried to find out about the topic, but couldn’t find a fitting answer - so here’s my question:

I own a Music-School and need to redesign my Website. I decided to use X for that and I’m struggling to find out about the use of the “Portfolio”-Section.

I want to “present” the instruments we teach - and the team/the teachers as well.

I thought about setting up a page for each teacher – and a page for each instrument.
Would instead the Portfolio - with all the categories and stuff – be the better way to do this?

I’m quite confused, because I read, that Portfolio-Items are just another kind of blog-entries with a picture? As I don’t want comments and things like that in the teacher’s profiles or the instruments – but the categories do make sense (I think) - I just don’t know what to use: Pages or Portfolio?

Thank you for clarification :blush:
Ralf

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for writing in!

Pages are static and are not listed by date. Pages do not use tags or categories. An About page is the classic example.
Portfolio item on the other hand is similar to posts that are listed in reverse chronological order and can be tagged, categorized and even archived on your site. They’re dynamic and constantly changing the content your end users sees.

Since the information about the teachers and the instruments will not change, I will recommend that you use pages instead. With pages, you can group them into parent pages, child pages and even grand child pages. To know more about pages, please check it out here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hello @RueNel,
the info about the grouping-possibilty of pages did help indeed - thanks a lot :smiley:

You’re most welcome!

Hi again,

one more question about the “teachers” and “instruments” - pages:
I would like to have an “overview-page” in three columns for the teachers – with preview-images and a very brief description (name and instruments) – and links to the individual pages of course.

My actual Theme offers that in a way that I can easily change the order of the teachers as I see fit.
How would be the best way to do something like that in X? Setting up a section with three rows seems complicated regarding the sorting…
Thanks
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

You can utilize the global block for that matter and have the content you preferred. But yes, you have to manually create the content. Please check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/global-blocks/24723

Then just add your global block element to your pages, it will act as a sub layout of the current columns.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

thank you again - but I’m afraid I didn’t get your Idea :thinking:

I tried the global blocks, but, as I understand it, global blocks are used, if I want to easily put the same content at different places, so if I change it, it looks the same everywhere I used it?
For example an identical CTA at the bottom of each page – as described in the page you linked.

I don’t get how that would help for my teachers-page, because I would have to set up a global block for each teacher, so the concept would be different? But it would probably be easier to sort the blocks, so maybe that’s a good thing.

By the way – I have trouble designing the individual teachers pages:
I want a simple paragraph with a picture and floating text around it, but I can’t find an element, that does that…? Do I have to do it without cornerstone then?
I tried Feature Box with an image, but that apparently is not for longer texts. Then “Classic Promo” - what ist an image with text - but I can’t change the layout…
It’s a little awkward writing this, but I seem to be blind because I can’t find a solution for that simple thing.

Regards
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Sorry for the confusion, yes you’re right about the Global Blocks, its outputs the same content, maybe you can utilize that on other areas on your site that has the same content, so you don’t re-create an identical section over and over again.

Regarding your Teachers pages, regretfully Cornerstone has no flexible Team element for now, commonly used as a team grid is the Promo element. But in your case, I would suggest trying this plugin, this allows you to easily manage your teachers, and generate a different layout with a shortCode, then you can paste that shortcode on your page using a Content Area Element.

Demo
Documentation

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Hi @friech

so I bought “The Best WordPress Theme of 2018” to be able to "easily create everything I can possibly imagine” and I need a 3rd party plugin right away – to create a team-page???
WOW - that’s a little disappointing, as it should not be that uncommon…

But thank you anyway – I’ll have a look at your suggestion :thumbsup:

Cheers
Ralf

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for updating the thread.

We are adding more elements into the Cornerstone builder. My colleague shared an input to help you get started. In case you don’t want to use plugins, then you also have the option of using Shortcodes in Text or raw content element.

In conjunction with headline element or headline shortcode and Promo shortcode you can design the team page. Here’s the shortcode page that you can take a look.

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/custom-headline/

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/promo/

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/pages/team/

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.