Upgrade Beyong Cornerstone Version 1.3.3 Fails

Hello @team-d,

Thanks for updating thread.

Most often 500 error is because of lack of available memory. I suggest you to increase memory limit by editing your wp-config.php file which can be located under the root of your WordPress installation and then try again.

Add the following lines into that file.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

Another option is to upload Cornerstone files manually via FTP using programs like Filezilla. To upload latest version of Cornerstone file, please follow the instructions in following tutorial. Please scroll down to Manual Updates section.

To get started with Filezilla, FTP in the context of WordPress, please take a look at following tutorial:

Note: It’s a humble request not to add new replies after you have updated the thread as it pushes down the ticket back into the queue which increasing the response time.

Thanks.

Hi Prasant - Appreciate your reply. Doesn’t fix the matter. updated this and Restarted the entire server - still same issue. Ensured Cloudflare is in DEV mode right now.

Created credentials to invite you to come help fix - hope you can asap as site is down and want to achieve this upgrade today. Thank You

Hello @team-d,

Please confirm the login details as it’s not working on my end. I tried to open the IP address you shared but it redirects for a different website (using X Theme). I tried to access the admin section of that website but it’s not working.

I tried the same credentials to access FTP but there seems to be some issues with the login information. In that regards, please share WordPress admin and FTP login details in a secure note.

In my previous reply, I suggest you one ore method to update Cornerstone manually. Have you tried that?

Thanks.

Appreciate this collaboration. Only SFTP and SSH Access to this Application using the credentials provided

wp-config.php is in public_html

cannot access the site upon applying this plugin - including /wp-admin so don’t know how to manually update. said - Plugin installed successful and then all went down.

Hello @team-d,

I am still unable to FTP. I have recorded a screencast that you can take a look. Link shared in secure note.

Please take a look at the tutorial shared in the thread wherein I suggested you to increase memory limit to manually update Cornerstone. Sharing the link again. If you can access FTP then all you need to do is navigate under /wp-content/plugins/ directory and either delete or rename existing Cornerstone folder. Next step is to create a new folder by same name. Download and unzip latest version of Cornerstone (link shared in secure note) and upload the files under the Cornerstone folder you just created.

Please scroll down to Manual Plugin Update Via FTP:

Thanks.

Did all the steps - same HTTP ERROR 500 . when the cornerstone was removed (renamed) and the new was not uploaded the site was accessible with messed up displays. Upon upload of the new folder - again inaccessible.

Your SFTP access has been verified - so you are welcome to come in. Used the same credentials to archive and update from the S3 link. Thanks

Update 2hrs later: restoring the old server settings now…since we don’t need downtime. Please propose a more effective solution. restored

Hello there,

I’ve upgraded your X theme and Cornerstone versions to the latest one and can see the HTTP 500 error.

Can you share to us your Wordpress User/Pass in a secure note so we can take control of your Cornerstone setup?

As of the moment, please don’t touch anything on your WP folders as the new versions of X theme and Cornerstone are still there to fast process the investigation of this problem.

Thank you.

Here is the username and password

Hi There,

I have tried to login to your WordPress back-end but I couldn’t.

Also it seems that you have changed FTP credentials (see secure note).

Could you please check your server’s error log and see what has been recorded. Also make sure to use a PHP version 5.6.x or higher to avoid incompatibility issues.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Verified its PHP5.5… can upgrade to 5.6 if you’d like, please do convey. we were able to login when the Web credentials were supplied to you earlier. Lets fix this with your esteemed support. So far we stuck with access issues…:slight_smile:

SFTP credentials work, to reconfirm - which we just tested it is:

Hi There,

I was able to login to your SFTP and I upon investigating, it seems that your issue is generating from one of the 3rd party Cornerstone plugins that you’re using (wp-content/plugins).

Please rename those directories to disable those plugins temporarily.
For example OLD_cornerstone-modal

Then delete your current Cornerstone plugin and install the latest version which you can locate under (x/framework/plugins/).

This should resolve your issue. Also we do recommend to use PHP 5.6.x or later to avoid incompatibility issues.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Removed all the old cornerstone folders, and updated to the one you mentioned.
Site works - Dashboard HANGS

More questions:
a. the 4 folders/plugins are already encompassed in new cornerstone folder?
b. The x/framework/plugins/ has an old cornerstone .zip file circa 2015
c. Also we see you created x_2 folder - can you come in and clear up

This is turning into more trial and error effort despite your involvement…

Hi There,

a. Those plugins that you’re using are 3rd party plugins which are not compatible with later versions of Cornerstone.
b. To get the latest version of Cornerstone.zip plugin, simply download X theme from your Envato account.
c. I did not create x_2 folder, however I see that you have X folder which is the correct theme directory. You can safely remove x_2.

Thanks!

Your advice is leading us in circular loops and multiple server restorations… Updated everything, disabled everything… now what to do… can you just do it!

Bottom line is: upon disabling all you said, renaming, and updating cornerstone the site goes down and shows HTTP 500 error

27 mins later: No matter what the update to 3.2.2 takes the site down and only option is to Restore from backup. All other updates were instituted and see functional… All the other no themeco cornerstone were deactivated and renamed.

After committing all this time, can’t help but to wonder,
If you guys for you realize that this was given up a year ago as we didn’t want headaches…and perhaps its a bug in the code. There was reason we didn’t update from 1.3 to higher because this kept happening.

Hi There,

I have checked your back-end by enabling the WP_DEBUG mode on your wp-config.php file and I saw the errors are throwing from Cornerstone plugin due to missing or corrupted files.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then I have tried to login to your back-end and it seems you have disabled login credentials.

Since you’re working on a live site, it is harder to debug your issues without affecting to downtime. If possible, create a staging environment using the copy of your live site so that we can look into this further. You can go through the our migration guide here for that (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-content-builder-migration/126/1).

Thanks!

It is certain that it doesn’t link anything besides its current older version of cornerstone. Downloaded again from the link you sent and replaced and the site goes down.

Please find the current (version 1.3.3) in cornerstone which is what is making the site functional and the dash accessible…
and what was downloaded in cornerstone_new folder can try for yourself to interchange. We did and it fails. (Error 500)

Hope you can work your magic… Thanks

Please try these creds…

Hi There,

Thank you for the credentials, ok I did the magic and found out that the 500 error is not caused by the Cornerstone (which it should). it actually the plugins X - Splash by Perceptive.io and X - Starfield by Perceptive.io.

If you try to activate any of that plugin now, you’ll see the error.

I deactivated all your plugins (except Cornerstone) I hope you don’t mind as I really need to do that to see which plugin is really causing the issue. (This is the reason why we advise to bring your site on a test server, so we can’t do harm to your live site.)

Also the X - Extensions you have are outdated and not compatible with the latest X. So you need to update those extensions before you activate it back.

To update the Extensions to the version that is supported by the theme:

- Ensure your theme is validated so Extensions can be installed automatically
- Deactivate and delete the extensions, from the plugins panel.
- On the X > Validation > Extensions locate and install the extensions that you need.
- Visit "Plugins" panel in your Dashboard to activate the newly installed version.

Because all of the plugin settings are stored in the database, and because version 2.x will migrate settings from older versions, its safe to use this method of deleting the previous version. But always keep a backup of your entire site just to be safe.

Remember to clear all caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

It certainly helps! You are a magician. Thanks for devoting the time and attention to gain this cleanup and root cause fix.

Hi There,

Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.