Updating X and Cornerstone

I know about automatic updating and also about manual updating. Automatic updating has worked for me and on occasion I have done manual updating. But today I ran into serious problems updating a site for one of my clients. The site is http://colemediala.com/ . It was running on X 4.0.3 and Cornerstone 1.0.5. The client had not needed any changes for a long time. I made a number of edits. Everything worked fine, but it came time to move around some content on one her client display pages, I discovered I could not delete text divs. To do so caused cornerstone to freeze.

I knew that the first advice you would give me would be to update X and Cornerstone. Autoupdating had not occurred and I could find no reference to any way to trigger autoupdating so I moved onto Manual Updating. Using your support page on the process, I downloaded x.zip for 6.4.6 and, within, the cornerstone.zip 3.4.6 files. Using Filezilla, I located the appropriate folders: “plugins” and “themes” in the wp-content folder. I renamed the new “x” folder "x-updating, and the old “x” folder “x-previous” and moving them into the new folder into the remote sites "x"folder. I then renamed “x” as “x-previous” and the new one “x”, dropping its “-updating.” Then I followed the same procedure for Cornerstone in the “plugins” folder.

The painful result was that the site would no longer display at all. Lacking any idea of what to do next, I despaired and went in to make dinner. After dinner I could not think of what I might do, so after consulting with my isp, I launched a back-up from yesterday, sadly throwing away all work I had done on the site today, but restoring my client’s site to visibility and function.

So now I would like to know if there is any way you could help me make this site editable again by updating the x-theme and Cornerstone. Thank you for any help you can give me. I can provide you with access to the site admin.

Hi John,

Can you create a staging site(an exact copy of your site) then update your theme and cornerstone in your staging.
You can use this third party plugin in creating one

If the staging site is broken after the update, please leave it as is so we can check what is causing it.

It is most probably a memory limit issues.

You can try the following.

1. Increase memory limit. Contact your host and request to increase it to 512M or you can do it yourself using our guide below
    https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-increasing-php-memory-limit/16935

2. Make sure you have the latest version of wordpress

Wordpress 5.0.3

1. Make sure you have PHP version 7.3 or greater as required by wordpress

Hope that helps

HI Paul. I modified php.ini directly in the remote site using Filezilla. Then I moved the updates in and everything works now. Thanks for the help!!!

I made myself a guide document for both the procedures (memory and updates) complete with Mozilla screen shots, so I hopefully will able to do this again.

Hi again,

Yes that’s a good idea of creating a documentation of the whole procedure. This would help you in future. You can also bookmark this thread in case if you need it. We’re glad we could help.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.