Updating wordpress

Hello, I hope this isn’t a dumb question, on my other theme which is Ethos I can update wordpress directly however with this theme it says theres a wordpress update but no button to update it. Am I missing something?

I just realized I’m logged into my wrong account to ask this question apologies, my other theme is renew

Hello Shannon,

Thanks for writing in!

I see that you are running X Theme 6.5.5. Actually version 6.5.6 is a compatibility release to comply with Themeforest guidelines. So that update is not a part of automatic updates process and is available only on Themeforest and Apex Forum and users needs to manually update. Please see the changelog for more information.

https://theme.co/changelog/#theme-x-6-5-6-cornerstone-3-5-5

I am also attaching a screenshot:

Thanks.

I can’t find the instructions to manually update? only the changelog of what’s been changed

Hello Shannon,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

In previous reply I have shared link to updating theme and plugins. In that tutorial please scroll down to manual update section on instructions to manually update X and Cornerstone. To help you I am sharing the steps below:

Obtaining X

• Use the Download button on your dashboard page
  • From Downloads in your ThemeForest account, click Download next to X and choose: All Files & Documentation. Unzip, and you will find x.zip inside.
  • From Downloads in your ThemeForest account, click Download next to X and choose: Installable Theme Files. This will have a different filename, but the file downloaded is the equivalent of x.zip

Obtaining Cornerstone (included with X)

• Obtain x.zip (see instructions for X above). Unzip, and you will find cornerstone.zip under x/framework/plugins.

Manual X Update Via FTP

• Unzip x.zip on your computer.
  • Rename the x folder to x-updating.
  • Connect to your server via FTP and navigate to your /wp-content/themes/ directory.
  • Drag and drop the x-updating folder into your themes directory.
  • Upon completion, rename the previous x folder to x-previous.
  • Rename x-updating to x. Your site will now be at the latest version.
  • Delete the x-previous folder.
  • Visit the WordPress dashboard at least once to ensure any migration logic can run (this happens behind the scenes).

Thanks.

X.zip can be uploaded to the child theme in wordpress correct? I’m a little confused thats why I’m asking.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you’re updating the theme manually then I’d recommend you to do it via FTP. Simply unzip the x.zip file first and then via FTP upload x to the /wp-content/themes/ directory but first remove the previous x theme from /wp-content/themes/ directory.

If you want to setup the child theme then please follow https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57

Hope this helps!

Hi, Nabeel
My first name is actually Mickey. Anyway I have no experience working in the FTP files, is there a way to manually update in wordpress? The main reason I’m not waiting for another update is because I can not access cornerstone for editing.

Hey Mickey,

Regretfully, that is the only way. Please try asking your web host if they have an alternative for FTP. Web host usually have cPanel which includes a File Manager. Please ask your host to guide you to access your WordPress files.

Thanks.

That’s the problem, there is no download button on my dashboard

Hello Shannon,

Kindly go to your APEX dashboard.
You’ll find the latest version of the theme for download there.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.