Updating from (very) old version of X

I recently moved WP site to new hosting - I need to update the WP version 4.1.1 and update old X theme 1.8.4 and plugins to latest version. I’m worried I will lose the site styling and I won’t be able to continue to update current site as the new x theme uses Cornerstone?

Will I be able to edit the old site with Cornerstone or does the site have to be built again?

Is there a process I can follow to do this correctly?

Hello Paul,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

As you are going to update Theme from quite an old version, I suggest you to please follow following steps:

1. First up, please create a staging server and copy current website over there. This is to make sure that in case any issue comes up during or after update, same can be looked at without affecting the live website.
  2. If you have any caching plugin active on the website, deactivate the same upon clearing the cache.
  3. Now, you need to manually update Theme and Cornerstone as automatic update might not work. To manually update the theme, please take a look at following article and scroll down to Manual Update section. However, for your ease I am listing the steps below to manually update theme:

Manually update Theme:

1. Unzip x.zip on your computer.
  2. Rename the x folder to x-updating.
  3. Connect to your server via FTP and navigate to your /wp-content/themes/ directory.
  4. Drag and drop the x-updating folder into your themes directory.
  5. Upon completion, rename the previous x folder to x-previous.
  6. Rename x-updating to x. Your site will now be at the latest version.
  7. Delete the x-previous folder.
  8. Visit the WordPress dashboard at least once to ensure any migration logic can run (this happens behind the scenes).

Once you have updated X Theme. Next step is to update Cornerstone. For this the easy option is to deactivate and delete Cornerstone from Plugins > Installed Plugins. After that visit X menu and doing so will automatically install Cornerstone.

For more information I suggest you to take a look at following article.

To manually update Theme you will need to use FTP softwares like Filezilla. To get started with Filezilla, please take a look at following article.

Upon updating the X Theme and Cornerstone, you will be able to edit the website. There’s no need to rebuilt the website again.

Thanks

Hi Prasant,

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive answer - much appreciated!!

I’ll follow those steps and hopefully I can get everything updated :wink:

many thanks,

Paul

You’re most welcome Paul! Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.