Updating from Version: 5.1.0 to 6.2.2: Any Concerns?

Hello,

I just started with my client’s website and they are using the X theme currently at version 5.1.0, Cornerstone 2.0.5.

This is all running on the latest Wordpress Version 4.9.7

Any concerns with doing this big jump in updates?

I will back up the site of course. Any thing I should look out for after the update?

Thank you.

Hello @LeanneBuehler,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Inroder to update from X version 5.1.0 to version 6.2.2 I suggest you to first take a complete backup and then copy the website on a staging server and update over there first. In case any issue comes up the same can be looked at without effecting live website.

After that please take a look at following resources to update Cornerstone and X Theme please take a look at following resources:

1. Version compatibility guide: To learn about the latest and compatible versions of bundled and supported plugins, please take a look at following doc:

2. Theme Update guide: Please take a look at following article to update Cornerstone.

3. Please take a look at following doc about changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

Hello,

OK, I have created a staging server and updated everything. Most of the site seems to have come through the update really well, without many errors.

However, I am seeing one issue on the home page that has to deal with the EA Classic Logo Carousel.

The logo carousel is displaying on the home page as before, however, there is a large space underneath it. I have looked at the padding settings in Cornerstone and tried editing there, but nothing affects it.

Second. I am not able to see the carousel in preview mode. Everything is there when I switch to Skeleton mode, but in front end preview, i can not see the existing carousel, or if I add a carousel.

Maybe these are related somehow?

I could really use some help. Thank you.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Regretfully we cannot check the staging site. We are only seeing this:

1.) The large space underneath the logo carousel may have come from a margin or padding or the section element.

2.) If the Carousel Logo is a 3rd party plugin, there will not be any preview since Cornerstone disables the preview of other plugins to prevent any errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sorry about that. I put a new link in the Secure Note.

I don’t think the logo carousel is a third party plugin. I think it’s part of the Classic Cornerstone Elements. I may be wrong however. I did not build the site. Just trying to get it updated.

Hi Leanne,

It seems that there is a Javascript error which might be caused by the fact that the page is using an old slider or a plugin conflict.

1. Update the theme to version 6.2.4 and the Cornerstone to version 3.2.4
  2. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  3. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options and/or Child Theme and test the case.

If you still have the problem, please make a template out of the homepage, then add a new page and load the template there and then, remove the slider and see the result. If it is working then, recreate the slider using the Revolution Slider.

Thank you.

Hello,

I created a staging site recently to make some upgrades to the theme and Cornerstone plugins. I was sure to license my plugin for both Staging and Production. The staging site licensed fine and I was able to make my upgrades and changes.

Today I went to Sync back to production, but when the site was finished copying to production the site would not load.

GoDaddy said that there was an error with the Cornerstone plugin and maybe the licensing was incorrect. I checked in my account here and the licensing information for both domains was saved and correct.

I debugged the site and got this error:

Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). === Trace: #6 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php(69): _wp_get_current_user() #7 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/l10n.php(92): wp_get_current_user() #8 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/l10n.php(714): get_user_locale() #9 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/gd-system-plugin/plugins/stock-photos/stock-photos.php(61): load_plugin_textdomain(‘stock-photos’, false, ‘gd-system-plugi…’) #10 [internal function]: WPaaS\StockPhotos\Plugin::instance(’’) #11 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): call_user_func_array(‘WPaaS\StockPhot…’, Array) #12 /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(’’, Array) #13 /home/content/a2pewpnasp in /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4161

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Cornerstone_Shortcode_Generator in /home/content/a2pewpnaspod04_data05/50/41362450/html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/builder/class-shortcode-generator.php on line 0

GoDaddy claims they can’t help me because this is a plugin error.

Can you help me understand how to fix this so I can push my site to Production?

Everything worked on production previously.

You can see my info in the secure note.

Thank you.

Hi Leanne,

To make this clear, the update you did on the staging site went well, right? I don’t see the big gap underneath the logo carousel anymore.

So the issue now is you can not migrate your staging update to the live site.

Would you mind to provide a walkthrough on that Sync back process? The error you show seems to be pointing (not directly) that your process is just overwriting the old folders/files and not deleting it first before copying the updated files. If you do not have control over this process please contact your hosting to assist you on this.

But since you have already the backup and the update went well on the staging, I advise that you do the update now directly on the live site. Since you can’t do the automatic update because your X and Cornerstone is outdated, Please follow the Manual X Update Via FTP guide provided here.

After you successfully update the X, deactivate and delete your old Cornerstone, then navigate to X > Validation, wait for a few seconds and X will automatically re-install the Cornerstone that is compatible to it.

After the successful re-installing of Cornerstone, validated your live site, so you can update the Extensions (Rev Slider, X – Under Construction, and other 3 party plugins).

Remember to clear all caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

Yes, I am using GoDaddy managed Wordpress hosting. They have an option for Syncing the staging site with Production with or without Overwrite.

For this attempt I chose to Sync without Overwrite. Should I have chosen to Overwrite everything instead?

I made more changes to staging than just the updates, because the updates broke things. I do not wish to repeat that work on Production. I’d like for the Sync to work.

What does that error code tell us?

Thank you for your help.

I thought I would add more detail here.

There isn’t much detail though. In GoDaddy, in the Staging management area, there is a button for syncing staging to Production.

I can…

Push staging to production

Pull production to staging

And for either I can choose:

Overwrite content

I chose to push without overwrite and the push went fine, but after the sync, when I went to load the site in a browser, all I got was a white screen. I debugged and got the error code above.

GoDaddy thought it was a licensing issue between staging and production, but I checked my account and licensing was correct.

Eventually I restored production from a backup, but GoDaddy says it’s a plugin error.

Honestly that doesn’t make sense to me since Cornerstone was working fine in Production before the update, and is working fine on staging after the update.

My next thought was to attempt to push to production WITH Overwrite, and just overwrite all the files on the production server with staging.

Thanks.

Hi Leanne,

Sorry, please contact GoDaddy’s support on how their Managed Wordpress Sync process works as I can’t speak on their behalf. I saw the same question ask here but there is no reply.

What I understand is Sync without Overwrite process is not going to work, because you’ll end up having 2 instances of the files.

The Sync and Overwrite will not work either, because what if there are files that was moved to a different directory (which is true from X5 to X6), the old one will not be overwritten, so you’ll end up having 2 instances of the same file but on a different directory, hence that is the cause why you’re having that Cannot redeclare class error.

In layman’s term, the process should be, delete (or rename) the old theme and plugins folder first, then copy the updated one.

Please contact GoDaddy’s support to assist on this, or follow my advice above. Either way, we will help you if you encounter an issue with X or Cornerstone after the update.

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.