Updated to Version 2.3.8 - very slow load and other problems

I just updated from 2.1.6 to 2.3.8.

When I click on ‘edit page with pro’ or ‘edit header/footer’ it takes ages for the page to load. It will be like 30-60 seconds before the page loads.

Because of this I tried switching back to version 2.1.6 - i had no problems with this one. Everything was fast.

But when I tried switching back and try editing an existing page it looks like this:

When I create a new page it looks like this:

I already deleted the newer versions of the X theme in my ftp but still the same result. I have deleted cache and used a different browser. Still the same result.

Before the update I had no problems.

Please help.

Hey @djinnie,

It looks like the builder’s resources are not completely loaded.

1. I understand that you have tried clearing caches but please do it again and also clear your browser’s cache then deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins.

2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

4. Try switching to the parent theme and if you have custom code in Theme Options and elsewhere in your site, please temporarily comment them out or move them to a notepad so you can copy them back later.

5. Ensure you have adequate memory. It’s possible that the server resources are not able to handle the changes in the theme. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

It’s important that you try all of the listed possible solutions before we proceed with deeper investigation. Only if nothing helps, please give us WordPress Admin and FTP access in a Secure Note.

Thanks.

Thank you for your answer but I really dislike these ‘standard’ replies.

I just told you in my first post that I had no problems with version 2.1.6 before switchting to 2.3.8.

When switching back to 2.1.6 I suddenly have problems when editing a page.

How is this possible?

And this is not because of a plugin or whatever because I had NO problems with 2.1.6 before updating.

I’m sorry if you hate standard replies but that is not entirely a canned response. I based it on the basic common solutions which I think could solve the issue and also since you did not detail what else did you try to solve the issue. Moreover that it looks now that you are aware of this standard troubleshooting steps. Please review How To Post A Support Question at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

I did understand that 2.1.6 is working that’s why I said:

Improvements in the theme might have negative impact on the systems around it. Third party plugins might have a conflict with the new version too so possible solution #3 might applies.

I also see you’re using a child theme and if you have modifications, it might conflict with the new version too. We can quickly know that if you try step #4.

Improvements in the theme, in combination with your WordPress setup might require some memory. That is why step #5 applies. We have no way to know your memory limit by only looking at the front-end of your site and your WordPress Admin and FTP credentials aren’t posted yet.

It’s recommended that you try the updates in a staging server first. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62

Please kindly try all of the steps above and if nothing works, please give us WordPress Admin and FTP access.

Thanks.

Just tested on my staging website.

I deactivated all my plugins and activated it 1 by 1.

The plugin that causes the slow load is this plugin: https://nl.wordpress.org/plugins/duracelltomi-google-tag-manager/.

I didn’t had this problem with the previous version of your theme.

Can you guys fix this as I really need Google tag manager to work on my website. I cannot just deactivated it.

Hopefully you guys have a solution for this.

Thanks.

Hi There @djinnie

Since we do not provide support for 3rd party plugins, can you please try an alternative method to implement Google Tag Manager on your site. First of all, make sure that you have setup a child theme correctly and activate it by following our guide here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57).

Then you will see that there are two parts, which you will need to implement accordingly.

• A code for <head> of your site
  • Code immediately after the opening <body> tag

To implement the head part, you can add the following code into your child theme’s functions.php file and replace the following line
<!-- Replace this line with Google Tag Manager head code -->
with the code that you have received from Google.

function my_tag_manager_code_head() { ?>

<!-- Replace this line with Google Tag Manager head code -->

<?php }

add_action( 'wp_head', 'my_tag_manager_code_head' );

Then to implement body tag part, follow the instructions below.

Create file base.php in wp-content/themes/pro-child/framework/views/header/ and replace the following line
<!-- ADD THE TAG MANAGER CODE HERE -->
with the body code provided by Google.

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/HEADER/BASE.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Declares the DOCTYPE for the site, includes the <head>, opens the <body>
// element as well as the .x-root <div> and .x-site <div>.
// =============================================================================

$x_root_atts = x_atts( apply_filters( 'x_root_atts', array( 'id' => 'x-root', 'class' => 'x-root' ) ) );
$x_site_atts = x_atts( apply_filters( 'x_site_atts', array( 'id' => 'x-site', 'class' => 'x-site site' ) ) );

?>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html class="no-js" <?php language_attributes(); ?>>

<head>
  <?php wp_head(); ?>
</head>

<body <?php body_class(); ?>>
  <div <?php echo $x_root_atts; ?>>

<?php do_action( 'x_before_site_begin' ); ?>

<div <?php echo $x_site_atts; ?>>

<?php do_action( 'x_after_site_begin' ); ?>

Add your goolge tag manager code after this line

Hope that helps.
Thanks!

I do not have a /header/ file in inside of the /views/ folder. What now? Do I need to create that folder first or is something wrong because I don’t have that folder?

Hi There @djinnie

Yes, please create the header folder in your child theme inside views folder. Then follow the instructions above and see if that helps.

Thanks!

I have tested this, this weekend, but there are is no ecommerce tracking visable in google analytics after I deactivated the plugin and implemented your code. So this does not work.

Hi There,

Instead of copying the base.php, please copy the _header.php file:

Let us know how it goes!

Hi Support

We have followed the installation instructions above using the google tag code using the PRO child theme however the header is now removed from the site, see here: Hooty Creative Stock. Note we created the base.php and inserted into folder header as instructed. Let us know what changes are needed to get this going.

Thanks

Hooty Creative Team

Hi Kesvel,

Please remove that base.php that you created and follow the instructions provided here instead (see Thai’s reply and the user’s reply next to that).

If that did not work still, we kindly ask that you write your own thread as this one is getting too long and hard to follow. On your own thread provide us login credentials (wp-admin and FTP) so we can take a look at what you already have.

How To Get Support

Cheers!

Ok thanks will do, appreciated!

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.