Updated cornerstone, broken site

I have just updated and verified my X theme, then went to update the Cornerstone plugin and the website abruptly broke. Every page including my wp-admin gives me HTTP ERROR 500.

EDIT: I have contacted my domain host and they fixed the problem by disabling the plugin. However, I am now wary of activating Cornerstone - how can I activate and use Cornerstone without running into the same problem again? I need it to be activated, my website was built using it and now it is just a pile of code.

EDIT 2: After now uninstalling and attempted to reinstall Cornerstone, the website is broken again. This is ridiculous, and I need my website functional again. My domain provider says there is an issue with the plugin, please please help!

Hello Glenn,

There could be some files that got corrupted during the update or there are some file conflicts that caused the error 500.

You can login through FTP then edit the wp-config.php file and find the line: define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );. Set it to true then save the file. Log back in the admin area and you should be able to see some more error information when you redo the steps you are having issues with which is activating Cornerstone.

If you are getting an error message that suggests: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxx bytes exhausted, it means that you need to have the PHP memory limit of your site increased.

To do this, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

In case the issue persists, please try to get in touch with your hosting provider and confirm to them that your PHP memory limit is increased.

If you are still having an issue, please provide us with the admin details and FTP details of your site in a Secure Note so that we can check this further.

Please provide us with the admin access to your site in a Secure Note:

Thank you.

Hi, I have checked that wp-config.php file, and it is already set to true.

I have contacted my host and he says he increased our limits.

I have no idea what else to do. I will write a secure message with our admin details.

Additionally, if this is not fixable right away, please can you restore the site to a backup version? It is quite urgent we have the site up and running in some way.

Hi Glenn,

The issue you got with Cornerstone is caused by not updating X to the latest version which is causing the incompatibility.

Please login through FTP and go to wp-content/plugins then delete the cornerstone__ directory that is in there.

Login to wordpress admin and update X.

Once X is updated, Cornerstone should be automatically installed with the latest version.

Here is a link for a details information on how to do an update:

Please remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors or any unexpected display issue on the site.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I deleted cornerstone_ , updated X and the site and wp-admin broke again. Back to square one!

The errors are indicating I might also have to delete cornerstone-carousel-library, should I? Sorry, this is my first time using FTP

Hi Glenn,

I have just checked your site and based on the error that I attached in the secure note, it seems that the third party plugin Cornerstone Carousel Library is causing the issue as it seems outdated to the new update of X and Cornerstone. Please note that is it not a plugin affiliated with X.

You can login through FTP again and rename the cornerstone-carousel-library to cornerstone-carousel-library__ then you should be able to access the site again as the plugin will be automatically deactivated.

Please contact the developer of the plugin and notify them with the said error.

Thank you.

Hi There,

Based on the error log messages. I could see that the issue is coming from the 3rd party plugin: Cornerstone Library Carousel.

To fix this issue, please login to your FTP account and rename the public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone-library-carousel/ directory to public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone-library-carousel.old/.

After that contact to the plugin author to update this plugin to the latest version to make it compatible with the X theme.

If you can’t do this, we’re ready to help you. Please provide us with login credentials(by clicking on the Secure Note button at the bottom) so we can take a closer look? To do this, you can make a post with the following info:

• Link login to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

Thanks.

Hello, thanks for all the help yesterday! Things started working again, which was great. So I went into the wp-admin and removed the cornerstone library carousel plugin. I will find an alternative that is confirmed as compatible with the new updates.

Glad it’s working now. And you’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.