Update Pro theme not showing

Hi,
I would like some advice on updating my pro theme. I havent updated to v2 yet and there isnt an update option under themes oir updates. Also i didnt know about child theme and have been updating css as i go to fix quite a few things that were not working. I have backed up the puiblic_html folder and the sql database so im ready to update. Is there a way that i can preserve my css chnages and also how can i update the theme?

thanks for your time,

Chris

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Looks like you’ll gonna need a developer and have it done in staging site. You are probably coming from the very old version where updates aren’t applicable anymore. You may follow this or with your developer

1. Create a clone of your live site in a sub-folder or sub-domain, this will serve as your staging site
  2. Install a child theme and activate it in your staging site
  3. Get all CSS and all other customizations from the main/parent theme and move it to your staging site’s child theme
  4. Test your staging site, if there are any issues then fix it there, if it requires re-creating your old content, then please re-create them.
  5. Once you’re sure that there is no problem or issues, you can then migrate your staging site back to the live site overwriting it.

Note, only migrate it once all are done with no issues.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t done large amounts of css and only in the pro CSS theme interface. I only installed pro from the themeco site probably 3/4 through last year and it’s on v1.1.1 when I look on the pro page from my dashboard. It says 1.2.7 is the latest. I have looked in network admin at updates but can’t see anywhere where o would update pro. Sorry, this theme is still new to me and although I have alot of experience of wordpress and using my previous theme, I’m not a developer so you will have to bear with me :). I have done the website myself and so far have spent alot of time on it as it’s for the school I work for. I have lots more to do and the head wants it complete in around a month or so so I dont want to have to create everything again. I can give you a login to my site if you need to see how things are. Don’t know of any of this info helps? Just want to.make sure that I’m.on the latest version before continuing with my site before I get too far in.

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris,

​To assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation. Once you have provided us with your URL, we will be happy to assist you with everything.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

Thank you.

Hi RueNel,

I will add a secure note to this message with the details in.

many thanks,
Chris

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. The problem is that you installed the Pro theme as a network theme and it is not allowed. You need to install the theme as individual sites and you need to have the separate license for each site.

That is why you see the message for the update but there is no one available in the updates section.

You need to have a complete backup of the website and install the Pro theme to the individual website.

Thank you.

Hi Chris, so would it be best for me to buy another pro license, then install the pro heme to let’s say the secondary site, then remove it from the network site part. It should keep my headers that I have done etc shouldn’t it? I don’t want to have to redo everything. If I do it this way it will it keep the content on my pages? Sorry just want to know what to do first and what steps to take. Stressing out :frowning:

Thanks,

Chris

Hi there,

The theme was X Pro and became Pro, the update between X Pro to Pro has to be done manually (through FTP). And your current version was X Pro.

And if you’ll update your theme in the future, please do that on your main site (if it’s multisite). The main site is the root when you first installed Wordpress before you converted it to multisite.

And please backup and move your customization to a child theme.

Thanks!

Thanks Rad. I’m familiar with FTP. I use FileZilla and have backed up the entire public html folder and the SQL database. Are there instructions to do the update to pro manually? Do i get pro because I purchased X pro?

So do I now download pro 1.2.7, upload manually, then will the theme appear as another theme that I can then enable. Then I set up a child theme?

Sorry, just really need to know the process of actually doing what you have suggested. How do you update manually? Is there a guide?

Thanks all, appreciate your help.

Chris

Hi there,

You may check it here https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 and scroll for Manual updates section. It’s a general knowledge about theme updates and shouldn’t be restricted for X and cornerstone only. If you’re on Pro then you can ignore the procedures for the cornerstone. And yes, you will need to manually update it to Pro.

Though, there is no instruction about how to transfer customization since it varies depending on users existing customization. But what you need to do is just to mirror the changes you made from your main theme to the child theme. You don’t need to transfer all files to your child, just the file needed. And if it’s custom CSS, you just need to copy and paste the CSS from main theme’s style.css to child theme’s style.css. You must avoid copying the entire style.css or your child theme will not work.

Yes, download the Pro 1.2.7 then install a child theme. Then transfer the customization to the child theme and activate the child theme.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

Thanks. I will give it a try. I will dowload the 1.2.7 pro theme, upload that manually. Install the child theme and as I only have a few bit of css customisation that I did on some of some of the pages,. In the header and footer css and 2 lines on the appearance, custom, css I guess I can copy that over to the child theme. I have copied it all and noted which pages they were on already. I’ve never done any modifications of files etc only small bits on pages. I will also buy another pro license so I have a license per site which then should sort out automatic updates for the future if I understood correctly. Fingers crossed. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks mate.

Chris

You’re welcome Chris.
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Thanks all. I only have one more question. i have downloaded 1.2.7 now and the child theme zips ready and ive logged into my wordpress multisite admin and going on what christopher said about me installing it wrong initially and that i have to install the theme on individual sites, there is no upload theme option on the individual sites, only the network admin site. I cant see subsites when i have FTP’d in, probably as its a network site. The only way it looks like i can do it is through the network admin.

I set up my site initially by installing WP, then converting to multi site. Then i added new sites under network admin. My guess would be i install it under network adimin, install a child theme, then activate it on in the wp-admin of each subsite and then in the future, update the pro theme manually by copying the latest pro folder over using FTP.

Is that right?

thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

You are on the right track.
“install it under network adimin, install a child theme, then activate it on in the wp-admin of each subsite and then in the future, update the pro theme manually by copying the latest pro folder over using FTP…”

Best Regards.

All,

I have used FTP to copy over the Pro theme as per the manual update instructions, updated wp to 4.9.1 and all is well :slight_smile: The interface i have noticed is slower but other than that its fine. Many thanks for your help everyone. The support as always has been fantastic!!

Glad to hear it’s working now and you’re welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.