Update cost

I recall buying a few licenses with the promise I could update to pro at a later date. I just added them to my account and there is a $50 upgrade price attached to it.

I bought it with the pretext upgrades for those licenses were free.

What’s up with that?

Hi there,

The X licenses which were bought before April 2017 was qualified for a free conversion to the Pro theme. But if you purchased the X theme in a date after that, then there will be a conversion cost:

Thank you.

Hi Christopher - good to hear from you. I purchased one license on April 10, and 2 more April 28.

I recall buying 1 then the other 2 because you were offering the upgrade free.

Please note I have not used them since I purchased them. So I didnt buy them because I needed them, I bought them based on the deal offered.

on 5/15 I rcvd an email that stated :

5 is out and humming along. There were several new Expanded Demos released in addition to many new Extensions and a revamped theme options panel. V2 Elements (think Elements in Cornerstone but with more advanced controls) are up next on our development timeline, and we know you are going to love all the new options you’ll have to Elements. Our sale of X has been extended for a short while longer.

I purchased prior to that email.(april - email was in may)

I also recently updated (just a few days ago at the cost of $30) another license around that same date.

Please refund me the $30 I recently paid for an update and make my current upgrades free per the above email.

Thank you

Hi John,

Matt from the leadership team here.

The sale period of X that you refer to, and the conversion path, are independent of one another. Just because X was on sale at that time did not mean that the conversion from X to Pro would be free. Only X licenses that were purchased prior to the launch of Pro are eligible for the free conversion. Since the licenses you mention were bought later, our current conversion fee is applicable.

Thanks for understanding.

Why would I buy so many if the only value was that I was able to buy them and not be able to upgrade?

Especially since I still have not used them.

If what you say is true, your offer simply was not clear enough (especially the ending date) when I purchased the licenses with the intent to upgrade them for free.

In fact when I purchased them, I recall in my license list I had the option at the time to update ALL of them.

I choose not to based on all the problems you were having with the new version at that time.

If that is the case I’d like to return them and get my money back.

1 more thing…

I’ve been with xtheme for a VERY long time and frankly, if I’m a few days late on an offer that apparently was not clear, yet you insist that regardless of the misunderstanding or my proven intentions you would rather leave a HUGE SOUR taste in my mouth …

So be it.

Please verify that you are able to take the unused licenses back and refund my money.

And Matt- if the sale was running as you say till April… and it ended. Then WHY would the copy in the email say that the sale was extended a short time longer? VERY CONFUSING and easily misconstrued :frowning:

Hi John,

Apologies but perhaps I wasn’t clear in my earlier response.

I think the confusion is arising because you’re seeing the sale period and the free conversion as connected in some way. They’re not.

We do occasionally run sales across both X and Pro. As a result, the conversion fee from X to Pro that you see in your account will fluctuate based on the current market price of Pro, compared with your purchase price of X. When you purchased X last year, that would not lock in a future price of Pro, in the same way that when I purchase an apple from the grocery store, they don’t agree to swap it for an orange for a set price at an undetermined date in the future.

The only exception to the above is the trade-in offer we made to existing X license holders on the date we released Pro. So anyone who already had an X license could convert that to Pro license for free as a one time thing. This only applies to X licenses purchased before the release of Pro and is a completely different thing to any sale period that we were publicising at the time.

The 3 X licenses you purchased were all post-launch, therefore are not and never were subject to the free conversion to Pro. Neither did we communicate words to that effect.

I appreciate your frustration and of course we would not wish to leave a sour taste in your mouth, however you must understand that we cannot ascertain your intentions when you purchase a license. Similarly we cannot judge what constitutes many licenses to you, as we have people that buy one, and others that purchase hundreds.

Unfortunately we are well beyond any reasonable refund period since these licenses were purchased nearly a year ago, but I do have a couple of options for you.

Firstly, I do see in your account that you have 3 X licenses that are eligible for the free Pro conversion. Whilst they do have have URLs attached to them, they could be switched around to utilise the free Pro conversion if you’re in need of further Pro licenses instead of X.

Lastly, since we launched Pro on April 10, 2017 and one of the licenses you have referenced was purchased later that day (after launch), I would be prepared to convert that license to Pro for free as a gesture of goodwill. Please do advise if you would like me to do that.

I hope this clarifies matters somewhat.

Hi Matt-I appreciate your offer.

But seriously, the only reason I bought those was based on the free upgrade.

I’m going to scour my emails to see if I can find something to justify my case.

Really, I’m not looking to argue…

I say with certainty that the offer was active when I purchased those licenses.

There is no other reason I would make the purchase.

And I SMH when you say the refunds are no longer available since the “option to do so expired”.

Is that because the licenses expire like a bunch of expired old fruit :wink:

So this is the best you can do?

Hi John,

Yes, I think that’s a fair offer. Whilst I appreciate that there have been some crossed wires here, I don’t feel that it is inherently due to a failure on our part.

Noted that you’re going to look over your emails. If there is anything you find that requires clarification or attention on my part, just let me know. Similarly if you would like to avail of my offer, let me know and I’ll make the necessary changes.

Notwithstanding the above, we all appreciate your business and I thank you for your continued custom.

Have a great Monday!

Not much of a choice here Matt :frowning:

Seems like the licenses are "perishable"​ and even after all these YEARS (9/24/15) as a customer you make me feel like I’m trying to rip you off.

And for what? 2 license upgrades?

Regrettably. I’ll take your offer.

BUT please understand the conversation and the rebuttals here (seemingly to win rather then make a long time customer happy based on obvious miscommunication) does nothing for your brand.

Quite frankly regardless of your “special” offer I still leave this conversation SMH and feeling like I’m unappreciated.

I hope the 2 licenses was worth it to you and to the brand.

When can I expect the change or is the clock running on this too?

john “I was not trying to rip you off” Bogdanski

I’m sorry you feel that way, John. I did literally say in my previous reply how much we all appreciate your business, so I’m disappointed that you feel otherwise.

I’ve gone ahead and applied the change now and you should see that reflected in your account.

All my best.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.